Inner Rear Brake Pads Burning Up

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have an issue where only my inner rear brake pads are burning through entirely within 5000 miles. It was first noticed at 18k and now I am at 29k about to bring it back to ford for the third or fourth time. My garage just keeps putting on new pads hoping it goes away and I had them turn the rotors as well. The first time this happened they had to order new calipers because the caliper wouldn't compress back in but that hasn't happened with the subsequent times... Anyone else see this behavior or have some helpful advice? I'm going to request they look into replacing abs components or master cylinder components...
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have an issue where only my inner rear brake pads are burning through entirely within 5000 miles. It was first noticed at 18k and now I am at 29k about to bring it back to ford for the third or fourth time. My garage just keeps putting on new pads hoping it goes away and I had them turn the rotors as well. The first time this happened they had to order new calipers because the caliper wouldn't compress back in but that hasn't happened with the subsequent times... Anyone else see this behavior or have some helpful advice? I'm going to request they look into replacing abs components or master cylinder components...
Hi Josh,

I am puzzled by this that the dealer cannot resolve. The rear calipers to my understanding are floating calipers. This means that when the brakes are applied the piston on the inside applies pressure to the inside brake pad and the force then makes the caliper slide inboard which allows the outside pad to help "clamp" the rotor. If you are only wearing the inside, then the caliper must not be sliding to allow the outside brake pad to help with braking. So my question is why are the calipers not moving to create the clamping effect? Replacing pads cures the symptom but does not remedy root cause. All I can say at this time is WTF! Something is very wrong and another dealer needs to be consulted. Also, please consider opening a formal complaint with Ford Customer Service. This allow billable hours for a dealership an avenue to which they can bill.

Keep us in the loop on this one...so far this is a unique problem that is not related to other braking problems, but may be not... Wish I could help pin this down. I wonder if other reported problems are similar.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
nny_ranger

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thank you for that info! I will have to find where I can reach out to ford customer service. I should mention the dealerships around me are seriously small town dealerships. I am going to try a slightly bigger one this time around. This is the kind of behavior I would expect to see with a link in a brake line not allowing fluid back to the reservoir but I inspected it all and it looks fine.

I will definitely keep you in the loop as this has long plagued me and I haven't been able to find any info online about it. I love my Ranger but if this can't get fixed soon I may have to start seeking other alternatives. Gets tiring to lose it for several days every 2 months or so.

OP
OP
nny_ranger

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Well, two weeks ago I reached out to my dealer and told them I need a solution other than just slapping pads in every 5000 miles. They supposedly reached out to Ford and I have kept checking in and supposedly Ford has yet to give a response. Owned this truck for over a year and out of say 52 weeks in a year, I have probably been able to drive it for 40 of them...

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure you've been asked, but just out of curiosity....do you drive with one foot or both ? I've seen where some folks will accelerate away from a stop light with their brake lights on because they drive with both feet.....one on the brake and another on the gas....could easily cause premature brake pad failure. Just spit-balling ?‍♂ :).

OP
OP
nny_ranger

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I'm sure you've been asked, but just out of curiosity....do you drive with one foot or both ? I've seen where some folks will accelerate away from a stop light with their brake lights on because they drive with both feet.....one on the brake and another on the gas....could easily cause premature brake pad failure. Just spit-balling ?‍♂ :).
Haha I can't blame you for being curious. I only use one foot though. I should also add that I almost never have to brake. My ride to work is about 52 miles on a state route at 55 mph with no traffic. I only brake when I get to the office pretty much

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So clearly this dealer of yours doesnt know anything. The calipers arent the problem and neither are the brake pads. If the inner pads are getting used that quickly then the o ly thing that can cause that is the guide pins somehow being frozen up but yet your dealership doesnt want to take that into consideration. Maybe this will help you.

OP
OP
nny_ranger

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
So clearly this dealer of yours doesnt know anything. The calipers arent the problem and neither are the brake pads. If the inner pads are getting used that quickly then the o ly thing that can cause that is the guide pins somehow being frozen up but yet your dealership doesnt want to take that into consideration. Maybe this will help you.
So I do agree but the problem is that they replaced the caliper assemblies once at the beginning and that means new guide pins as well and it has happened twice since. Ive tried to get them to look into the master cylinder or the ratio on the front vs back braking and they are going to look at the latter next for me now.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
So I do agree but the problem is that they replaced the caliper assemblies once at the beginning and that means new guide pins as well and it has happened twice since. Ive tried to get them to look into the master cylinder or the ratio on the front vs back braking and they are going to look at the latter next for me now.
What kind of highway mileage are you getting. If poor then ABS or Stability Control systems might be a problem. Randomly activating while simply driving. Really strange problem.

OP
OP
nny_ranger

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
What kind of highway mileage are you getting. If poor then ABS or Stability Control systems might be a problem. Randomly activating while simply driving. Really strange problem.
So my mileage has honestly been down around 18-20 when it used to be able to hit 25 or so. I thought the same thing about ABS, thinking maybe the wheel sensors were bad but they dismissed it pretty quickly.. I will bring it up again. It is good to hear someone else think that as a possibility!

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Brake pads should be wearing more or less evenly, as a set. If the inner pads keep wearing, there's a problem with the system. They should be "floating" when you drive normally, then engage when you step on the pedal. Ford needs to address this issue, find the problem & remedy it for you. Swapping pads isn't going to do anything to diagnose the issue.

They need to address the problem, not the symptom. Please let us know what the actual problem is with your system, so others can benefit from the solution!

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I would love to see a picture of the pads and calipers.

Even if traction management or ABS engaged it should wear fairly evenly. Are wheel and tire sizes original? Are the sizes the same. Is the circumference of the tires the same?

I once diagnosed a car with different size tires on the front and it drove the stability management crazy. It would jerk the wheel out of your hand at times. Just something else to check.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nny_ranger

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Brake pads should be wearing more or less evenly, as a set. If the inner pads keep wearing, there's a problem with the system. They should be "floating" when you drive normally, then engage when you step on the pedal. Ford needs to address this issue, find the problem & remedy it for you. Swapping pads isn't going to do anything to diagnose the issue.

They need to address the problem, not the symptom. Please let us know what the actual problem is with your system, so others can benefit from the solution!
Agreed, it is bizarre how it is just the inner pads.. I am crossing my fingers there is a breakthrough soon but I will make sure to keep everyone here updated if they do find the solution!

OP
OP
nny_ranger

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I would love to see a picture of the pads and calipers.

Even if traction management or ABS engaged it should wear fairly evenly. Are wheel and tire sizes original? Are the sizes the same. Is the circumference of the tires the same?

I once diagnosed a car with different size tires on the front and it drove the stability management crazy. It would jerk the wheel out of your hand at times. Just something else to check.
I am using the stock wheels, with slightly larger tires (nothing excessive) at 265 70R/17, with ~1mph difference on the speedometer. I was told that they do not need to adjust the computer for that size since it is so close but I found that weird. But then again, there are people on here with dramatically larger tires that haven't adjusted their computers for them and they are fine so who knows... haha. I appreciate the input

OP
OP
nny_ranger

nny_ranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
i have to agree that something is sticking to cause only one side to wear.
no idea if your shop has competent mechanics or not. replacing the calipers rules out some things, but one cant be 100% certain they did that right.

myself, I would pull a wheel and see what you see. post some pics up here and a video seeing if the caliper is installed right.

if its the master cylinder, or the ratio, and the caliper assembly is working correctly, then the pads should still wear evenly.
I'm convinced you have an issue at the calipers. what it is remains to be seen.
I guess I can't really speak to the techs necessarily since I don't know them. They have always been pretty good to me with my other vehicles and my family as well and usually find solutions. They replaced the calipers the first time because they couldn't get the pistons to compress when they first found the pads were burnt up. This issue hasn't returned in subsequent visits.

It is really hard to tell that this is happening until it is too late as I feel no sensation that things are dragging or grabbing until I hear what I assume is the wear indicator making a circular scraping noise.

I can try to get some pictures and such, I would check them periodically for their wear levels but I drive so much (over 100 miles a day) that I really don't have time when I get home to tear everything apart to see unfortunately :/

This problem makes me miss my 2015 F150 ( I still love the Ranger). That thing was flawless for the 3 years I owned it.
Sponsored