What's the deal with Toyota order process.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
T
Some silverados and sierras are made in Mexico.
Here are still some made in Flint Michigan at the Truck and Bus plant. One of the few still active in Michigan from General Motors

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
In this thread: people who have gone their whole life and never realized that Japanese cars were infinitely better quality than american made for pretty much since the Japanese discovered how to make cars.
While that may have been true back in the 70s and 80s, it is statistically not true any longer. Toyotas are no better (and certainly not "infinitely better") quality than any other manufacturer. Toyota has been resting on its laurels for a long time, IMO.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
While that may have been true back in the 70s and 80s, it is statistically not true any longer. Toyotas are no better (and certainly not "infinitely better") quality than any other manufacturer. Toyota has been resting on its laurels for a long time, IMO.
Yea, fair enough.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ever since the deal around 2009/2010 with the speeding out of control Toyotas I'm surprised they are still here. Funny thing is I meet individuals that didn't believe it

7Boomerang7

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4X4 / Lightning Blue
My experience with our local Toyota Dealers is they are all &%^$s . The attitude they give off is pretty much " so you think you want to buy a Toyota do you, well that's going to cost you". They are elitist snobs who think their $%!T doesn't stink. In my career I was a road warrior that burned through 50 thousand miles a year. I bought a lot of cars and the worst car I ever owned was a Toyota Corolla. Saturns were almost indestructible .
Agree on the Saturns, those were actually really good cars

7Boomerang7

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4X4 / Lightning Blue
A lot of car parts are made in Canada or Mexico, but assembled to complete in the USA. Usually the engines are made elsewhere. Doesn’t make them and worse than if they had been made in the USA. Toyota has assembly plants in the USA too, its just cheaper to finish building them here than ship all the complete cars from overseas.

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
My experience with our local Toyota Dealers is they are all &%^$s . The attitude they give off is pretty much " so you think you want to buy a Toyota do you, well that's going to cost you". They are elitist snobs who think their $%!T doesn't stink. In my career I was a road warrior that burned through 50 thousand miles a year. I bought a lot of cars and the worst car I ever owned was a Toyota Corolla. Saturns were almost indestructible .
Can confirm Saturns were almost indestructible. I traded two cartons of cigarettes for a 97 sl1 that I converted into a mud toy / farm car and it went through hell and back with no issues

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Since Ford is no longer making cars here in in the USA I'm being forced to shop other car makers. I am contemplating replacing my 2012 Taurus.
I am looking for a V6, FWD, no turbo sedan. That has led me to the dark side: Toyota. Yikes. I've never owned a "foreign" vehicle.
I have found a candidate in the 2023 Camry XLE V6 that offers what I am looking for. The problem is the lack of dealer stock. I went to the Toyota build and price site and built the Camry I'm interested in, a bone stock XLE V6 model with no options or premium packages.
I called several dealers and was told you can't place a factory
order, that Toyota decides what vehicles to send to each dealer.
Has anyone encountered this with Toyota? Or any other manufacturer.
I just ran a search on autotrader within 200 miles of me in SE Florida. I found 15 cars that were V6 XLEs. I think you will have to fly or drive somewhere to get what you are looking for. I know lots of folks fly to Orlando or Tampa or Miami to buy something to drive back. Start working the phones. I was at my local Honda dealer picking up parts and they behind on sales, so I'm guessing the toyota guys aren't doing great either. You can find a dealer that will work with you, but it may require effort.

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
I was able to order my wife’s new 4Runner at the dealership. A few things got added but mostly what we wanted. They worked with us on price for added options we didn’t want.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to order my wife’s new 4Runner at the dealership. A few things got added but mostly what we wanted. They worked with us on price for added options we didn’t want.
That doesn't sound like an order, that sounds like "lets see what we can find in other dealers inventory that is close to what you want"....

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
That doesn't sound like an order, that sounds like "lets see what we can find in other dealers inventory that is close to what you want"....
Well I hope it doesn’t take months to find another dealers inventory and get step by step building and shipping notification. I do understand they added things and dealer was apologetic stating it happens time to time. It was ordered regardless.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I posted on the General Auto forum. I thought people on this site had purchased other brands of automobiles besides a Ford. My bad.
I placed an order for a 2017 Toyota Highlander without any problem. I realize that was a few years ago but I would think that one could still place a factory order. Were I you, I would visit another dealer.
Sponsored