What the #$%^ is wrong with my Ranger?

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Soooooo.. what's a good wet weather A rating TRUCK tire?
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Soooooo.. what's a good wet weather A rating TRUCK tire?
Here's another one.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5TR7HT51&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The survey rating on this tire recently reset, so it's starting over again, but the reviews are following to old reviews. I bought this tire for my last ranger about 8 months ago and found it to be outstanding, I was really impressed and even though I only had 6 months worth of wear on these tires before I sold my 2011 Ranger, they were holding up amazingly well. They are quite, smooth and have a A rating in wet traction and temperature, they also have a great wear rating.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Doug

What I consider acceptable for wet traction is an A rating. To get to a AA rating you are looking for an ultra performance tire. If you are the type who drives fast on wet roads, you may want to consider such a tire, If you drive a truck, you should really consider not driving that way given it's high center of gravity and given the fact that it would be damn near impossible to find an AA rated tire in a truck sized tire; if you drive like a reasonable person, an A rating will do you just fine and it just so happens that most any tire has that rating unless you're shopping in a Bridgestone tire store. Ford spent a great deal of money making our new Rangers both safe in crash-worthiness and with all the new electronic safety devises, it's a shame that some bonehead bean counter through that under the bus by accepting sub standard tires to save a few bucks , If I was a Ford Chassis or NHV engineer, I would be pissed that all my hard work was undercut by such an unethical person or persons.

I have been a Ford guy since I started driving (39 years ago). I have stuck by ford because for the most part, they do the right thing, but not always. I could name a few doozies to prove my point, but I will refrain.
You are certainly mad at the world for your own mistake, and now you're all upset at Bridgestone? If you were so concerned about the tire ratings you only have yourself to blame. You could have opted for the 18 inch wheels but evidently didn't want to pay the extra cost. By the way the 18" Bridgestones on my truck have an A traction rating.

You might want to post a picture of your truck with these new Michelin A rated tires on it, and those B's with knife slits in the sides to keep the public safe, or you could just throw caution to the wind and drive on those poor lowly B rated tires. LOL

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
You are certainly mad at the world for your own mistake, and now you're all upset at Bridgestone? If you were so concerned about the tire ratings you only have yourself to blame. You could have opted for the 18 inch wheels but evidently didn't want to pay the extra cost. By the way the 18" Bridgestones on my truck have an A traction rating.

You might want to post a picture of your truck with these new Michelin A rated tires on it, and those B's with knife slits in the sides to keep the public safe, or you could just throw caution to the wind and drive on those poor lowly B rated tires. LOL
Doug

Where did I state I was putting Michelin's on my new truck ? Where in any Ford information does it state what tire brand is coming on your truck from the factory, even the dealer can't get that information. Note: there was a Hankook press release saying Hankook tires were going to supplied for Rangers.
In a truck tire I actually want a taller sidewall for a given tire diameter, as it gives a softer ride and gives a higher load capacity for a given tire pressure.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
so, if an AA is an ultra performance tire....then one could assume an A is a performance tire and a B would be?

A standard performance tire???

I guess it depends where the line is drawn.

a tire is a tire. you get what you pay for. you can always buy something else
Actually a B rated tire is a 3 on a 1-4 scale; as shown earlier on this thread, a B rated tire represents the lowest 7% of tires available, I would hardly call that a "standard performance tire". You are correct though on the part about "you get what you pay for", and this has been my whole point this whole time. Ford bought a sub standard tire for a cheaper price.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Mark, do you have the actual g force results for this tire or any tire? There is a range to every rating......on wet pavement B is above .38 to .47, A is above .47 to .54. The Bridgestone could've done a .47 while a different A rated tire only did a .48. Unfortunately we don't have those #'s.

There is sooooo much more to a truck tire than that traction rating reveals. How well does it do when loaded, wet cornering, hydroplaning, noise. All of which are not rated by utqg. Any number of A rated tires could perform worse in those areas than the dueler h/t 685. I do wish that stuff was rated by utqg.....it would certainly help when choosing a tire.

How can you say Ford took the cheap route? Where you there during their testing & meetings. This tire is the 2nd or 3rd highest price tire on tire rack for our size....is tire rack unethical or cheap now? I don't know how much Ford paid but it is by far not the cheapest tire for us to buy. This tire also has great customer ratings everywhere you check.

In a nutshell, all I'm saying is you do not have enough info, you are only making assumptions.

Last edited:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mark, do you have the actual g force results for this tire or any tire? There is a range to every rating......on wet pavement B is above .38 to .47, A is above .47 to .54. The Bridgestone could've done a .47 while a different A rated tire only did a .48. Unfortunately we don't have those #'s.

There is sooooo much more to a truck tire than that traction rating reveals. How well does it do when loaded, wet cornering, hydroplaning, noise. All of which are not rated by utqg. Any number of A rated tires could perform worse in those areas than the dueler h/t 685. I do wish that stuff was rated by utqg.....it would certainly help when choosing a tire.

How can you say Ford took the cheap route? Where you there during their testing & meetings. This tire is the 2nd or 3rd highest price tire on tire rack for our size....is tire rack unethical or cheap now? I don't know how much Ford payed but it is by far not the cheapest tire for us to buy. This tire also has great customer ratings everywhere you check.

In a nutshell, all I'm saying is you do not have enough info, you are only making assumptions.[/B]

You can't go by that. I knew someone who had a Firestone store and he said the stock tire is higher priced because many walk into his store and say they want what the vehicle came with. They think because it came on the vehicle, it's the best tire.
Yet, many other tires are better and even some are cheaper.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
You can't go by that. I knew someone who had a Firestone store and he said the stock tire is higher priced because many walk into his store and say they want what the vehicle came with. They think because it came on the vehicle, it's the best tire.
Yet, many other tires are better and even some are cheaper.
I agree but you guys are missing the point...

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Lol, yeah this got out of hand.
Cerwin D. Vega.....did the wheels help?
Just put them on today. Yes they did help! will follow up an provide more detail and a picture. The 16" wheel with 265 75 R16 tires provided a 1" sidewall height gain, while maintaining the same width as the oem 265 65 R17. I also went with all season tires with the most positives reviews for ride quality in the price range I wanted.

Will take the same 140 mile trip that was the genesis for this post as a comparison, but for now in limited driving around town and on rough dirt roads, I was absolutely relieved to realize that this was a material improvement.

My music even sounded better. : )

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
Cerwin,

Have you experimented with the rear shocks? New owner here with similar situation as you. As another poster in this thread has commented, when simply pushing on the rear while parked the ass end seems very lively. I am curious what a more performance tuned shock will do. This makes sense with the motortrend review of the softer FX4 throwing your head into the window when you pull into a driveway. There is one guy on here that put Fox shocks on the rear and seems to have made a difference.
Sponsored