What the hell!

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have this happen to them with the Ford app.
bought my kid a Ranger. And someone requested access to the truck.
my only guess is he posted on social media. Someone got the app and located the dealer via location services. Found the truck on the website and got the vin off of that. He declined access by the way. LOL
I’m not sure this qualifies as a hack just yet. It is phishing. Anyone could register the Ford App with a false name, walk by and scan a VIN into the application to begin the registration process. It needn’t be going to the dealers web page and pulling up location services or obtaining the vehicles vin number from the Window Sticker or other methods.

What happens if a vin is not registered to someone? Does it let the first person to scan it be the owner?

I think the Ford App did what it was designed to and protected the OP’s son from being hacked. It’s just like that with the phishing emails and phone calls asking for sensitive info.

It’s great that they were on their toes and didn’t blindly agree.

The one point I am wondering about is the Ford App accepting the request for access and asking the registered person if that was okay. IMHO, the registered owner should have to send an invitation to someone. The request should be able to specify what functions they have access to.
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Ford App did what it was designed to and protected the OP’s son from being hacked. It’s just like that with the phishing emails and phone calls asking for sensitive info.
Agree: the system worked as intended and nobody has unauthorized access to the truck. So what’s the problem?

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
That is one lucky kid! It seems like its working as designed because it asked him to approve the request before giving access....... still a little creepy. I am hoping that ford does a good job at keeping it secure but if someone wants the truck that bad, there is no way to stop them --- I did turn off the location on the truck but use the rest of the features...
Good luck with the new truck!! only 1200 miles into mine but so far, I love it.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
[...]
What happens if a vin is not registered to someone? Does it let the first person to scan it be the owner?
[...]
No. In order to register a truck you need to double-confirm from within the truck itself in order to complete registration.

You're probably spot on though, this was likely some kind of phishing/walk-by scam attempt and nothing more.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Never registered with Ford Pass!! WAY to many "lost privacy issues " in the fine print!!!!:oops:

I deleted my ford pass. Don't need it,don't want it. It's bad enough the truck tracks your every move...

OP
OP
South Florida Ranger

South Florida Ranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I’m not sure this qualifies as a hack just yet. It is phishing. Anyone could register the Ford App with a false name, walk by and scan a VIN into the application to begin the registration process. It needn’t be going to the dealers web page and pulling up location services or obtaining the vehicles vin number from the Window Sticker or other methods.

It’s great that they were on their toes and didn’t blindly agree.

The one point I am wondering about is the Ford App accepting the request for access and asking the registered person if that was okay. IMHO, the registered owner should have to send an invitation to someone. The request should be able to specify what functions they have access to.
True. It just happenned so quick after the IG post. Without the geo tag would been hard to get the vin. Trucks been in my driveway

Scoopo

First Name
Scoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew
Occupation
IT Support Technician
I'd bet someone just fat-fingered their own VIN
More oops than malicious.
Just a thought.

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)
I'd bet someone just fat-fingered their own VIN
More oops than malicious.
Just a thought.
More than likely this. I used the vin off the dealer website when I bought mine, and it wasn't the correct one, could've been something like that too

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Anyone have this happen to them with the Ford app.
bought my kid a Ranger. And someone requested access to the truck.
my only guess is he posted on social media. Someone got the app and located the dealer via location services. Found the truck on the website and got the vin off of that. He declined access by the way. LOL

9E128F34-D3F8-4F99-86C5-30DC7AE41A64.jpeg

BCC7A1A0-1456-4685-8361-7E7082C33315.png

25C3B817-A077-4B19-9353-DA74589AF093.png

13F2A828-7F2D-4249-9148-93E051EC52DF.jpeg
Stupid question, but was it used?