Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Greetings Fellow Ranger owners,

I'm at 34k miles and I have a pulsing while braking issue, so I'm assuming I've got a warped front rotor.

I wanted to take this time to just do pads and rotors on all four corners and maybe stainless lines, but I can't seem to find any real options for brake pads and rotors, even searching the forum there have not been many threads about brake modification options.

So I'm posing the question what's out there? Powerstop has part numbers listed but zero availability, Stoptech\Centric have front and rear pads, but no rotors.

So i'm hoping you guys and gals might have more options I'm not aware of. Rockauto has some very weak selections as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
They have powerstop on Rockauto. Best ceramic pads to match them and you should get some decent life out of them.

Or, you could use your Ford points and get Motorcraft through the dealer with their pads. So you might be into it for a few hundred that way.

OP
OP
Engmus

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
I see Powerstop pads, but the rotors are MIA. I could piece together a kit.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I see Powerstop pads, but the rotors are MIA. I could piece together a kit.
Rockauto makes their money in the shipping charges. Took me a little to figure it out. You add and subtract items in your cart to get them all to ship from same location for lowest cost. It’s like a card game! Lol But yes usually you ‘kit’ a package together yourself.

Your lines should be new enough so that they should be fine. Just clean up your calipers so the floating side moves easily and good to go.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I went with Raybestos rotors and Power stop Z36 pads when I had to do my rear brakes at 18k due to pulsing. Both from Summit Racing, free shipping and they deliver next day for me if it's in stock. No issues, they work well and don't make any noise. Make sure you have a tool to spin the rear caliper pistons back in when you do the brake job. Harbor freight has a relatively cheap tool set or I think auto parts stores should be able to loan you one. No idea about the fronts, haven't touched those.

jwtayl01

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
I was just at the Dealer for an oil change (25K). They said my pads were down (need to verify) and the rotors are scored, see photos. Autozone has some coated rotors and pad, nothing in stock locally, but looking like ~$500+ for all four corners. Not sure if I can get the rotors turned, that would certainly help with the cost. Will take a look at Rock Auto. They have been hit or miss (mostly miss) with various brands on any longevity for my Honda Odyssey, terrible design. For what it's worth my 09 Tacoma brakes lasted ~75K!
IMG_4793.jpg
IMG_4794.jpg

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
I went with Raybestos rotors and Power stop Z36 pads when I had to do my rear brakes at 18k due to pulsing. Both from Summit Racing, free shipping and they deliver next day for me if it's in stock. No issues, they work well and don't make any noise. Make sure you have a tool to spin the rear caliper pistons back in when you do the brake job. Harbor freight has a relatively cheap tool set or I think auto parts stores should be able to loan you one. No idea about the fronts, haven't touched those.
Are you talking about this tool?
1641843674916.png

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
https://www.harborfreight.com/disc-brake-pad-and-caliper-service-tool-kit-11-pc-63264.html

This is the set I used on mine. The one you linked may work, but the key to mine was having it push in while rotating it. I tried just spinning it with an old pair of pliers and it didn't go.

Also, your local auto parts store may be able to give you a loaner tool for the job if you don't want to buy one.
That looks like a solid kit for a home mechanic that's only going to use it a few times a year.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings Fellow Ranger owners,

I'm at 34k miles and I have a pulsing while braking issue, so I'm assuming I've got a warped front rotor.

I wanted to take this time to just do pads and rotors on all four corners and maybe stainless lines, but I can't seem to find any real options for brake pads and rotors, even searching the forum there have not been many threads about brake modification options.

So I'm posing the question what's out there? Powerstop has part numbers listed but zero availability, Stoptech\Centric have front and rear pads, but no rotors.

So i'm hoping you guys and gals might have more options I'm not aware of. Rockauto has some very weak selections as well.

Thanks!
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/k8448-36-19-22-ranger-powerstop-z36-kit.html

ScreenHunter_67 Jan. 10 20.27.jpg

After I break through 100,000 mile mark with my original brakes, I will get these as replacement...:p

Last edited:

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Put a similar kit on my last ride and loved them. I'll be going with that setup when the Ranger needs it.. from those guys. Their order tracking/communication is awesome.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
That looks like a solid kit for a home mechanic that's only going to use it a few times a year.
It's not bad for what it is, not especially heavy duty though. I did manage to bend the sliding handle bar a bit before I figured out the correct direction to turn.

A tip for these or anything threaded that is being used to push/pull. (Ball joint press, jaw pullers, ect.) Grease the threads a bit before you start, makes a world of difference in the effort. These ship without anything on the threads other than the oxide coating which makes for some not so smooth turning when it gets under load.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
https://www.harborfreight.com/disc-brake-pad-and-caliper-service-tool-kit-11-pc-63264.html

This is the set I used on mine. The one you linked may work, but the key to mine was having it push in while rotating it. I tried just spinning it with an old pair of pliers and it didn't go.

Also, your local auto parts store may be able to give you a loaner tool for the job if you don't want to buy one.
I think this can be rented for free from AutoZone etc...

Rotors I always go with centric premium carbon rotors

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I've had good service on other vehicles with NAPA Ultra Premium rotors, now called Adaptive One apparently, and their ceramic pads.
Sponsored