What Features SHOULD your Ranger Have but Ford Missed?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I don't think voice controls will work if you have a smartphone connected as it will invoke Siri or Google Assistant.
You need to get out of Apple Car Play or Android and back to the Sync program, by hitting the Home button on the steering wheel. Then hit the Voice button and hope for the best. By the time you go through all that, it's just as simple to hit the Climate button on the sync screen.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
If they did offer a manual tranny all of the other features that we have with the auto would disappear. TM, traction control, etc…
Wouldn't be much advantage anyway.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
You dont need a driver's side handle to grab onto if you already have a steering wheel and a step to get into the truck. Its not like you are climbing into a M35 deuce and a half. Also, the A post being close to the driver (as in any vehicle) creates a blind spot you have to look around. You dont want to have that driver's side handle as an additional optical obstacle.
I think both grab handles could be designed with a "scoop-out" like on the outside door handle, so the handle part could be nearly flush with the trim

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think both grab handles could be designed with a "scoop-out" like on the outside door handle, so the handle part could be nearly flush with the trim
Hopefully the next Gen Rangers are like the ones on the Bronco. Both drivers side and passengers are built into the side of the dash and there's an oh s#!t handle on the center console.

Bronco Dash Grab Handle.jpg

Bronco Center Console Grab Handle.jpg

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
My number 1 wish would be the Homelink garage door opener on a XLT package. I wouldn't mind cooling seats and heated steering wheel too. Really ... it doesn't matter because I love my truck.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
This may have been mentioned, but there is no rubber gasket between the roof and windshield (also rear window). Not a big deal except the gap seems to collect leaves and fallout from the huge live oak over my driveway.
20210711_200502.jpg

DoctorsTARDIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Raptor comes with driver's side handle. It's pretty well aligned with the A-pilar and seems not to produce any additional obstruction outside of the pilar. Never use it tho.
So, when you say driver's side, is that right hand drive or left hand drive?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
So, when you say driver's side, is that right hand drive or left hand drive?
It is at least North American left hand drive trucks. Other LHD markets may differ. The UK trucks and perhaps other markets have them on both pillars. Oddly their left side grab handle won't fit NA trucks. There is a thread somewhere on the forum where someone attempted to, but the trim was different colors and the mounting holes were there, but the grab haindle wouldn't fit cleanly.
UK-spec 2021 Ranger Wildtrac:
Ford Ranger Double Cab Pick-Up Truck | Ford UK.jpg

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Reactions: Doc

DoctorsTARDIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
It is at least North American left hand drive trucks. Other LHD markets may differ. The UK trucks and perhaps other markets have them on both pillars. Oddly their left side grab handle won't fit NA trucks. There is a thread somewhere on the forum where someone attempted to, but the trim was different colors and the mounting holes were there, but the grab haindle wouldn't fit cleanly.
UK-spec 2021 Ranger Wildtrac:
Ford Ranger Double Cab Pick-Up Truck | Ford UK.jpg
Welp. That's highly annoying. I was totally ready to go digging for part numbers to swap one with my handleless trim piece.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I believe the lack of a driver handle is due to airbag packaging constraints.

I know with the Nissan Frontier, they had the driver side handle up until it was removed from the '17 and up model years due to changes in the A-pillar airbag.

They made the airbag longer to improve its crash rating and it was cheaper to remove the handle than redesign the A-pillar to accommodate it and the airbag.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
I believe the lack of a driver handle is due to airbag packaging constraints.

I know with the Nissan Frontier, they had the driver side handle up until it was removed from the '17 and up model years due to changes in the A-pillar airbag.

They made the airbag longer to improve its crash rating and it was cheaper to remove the handle than redesign the A-pillar to accommodate it and the airbag.
That sounds logical, My 2009 Mariner has the side curtain airbags, and no left grab handle. But what about the passenger/right/starboard A-pillar side curtain? Must be a smaller part?

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Wireless charger
I know this is old, but Ford would and will fuck this up so badly. I had a 2021 Limited Explorer as a rental a couple weeks ago with a wireless charger slot. My freaking phone didn't even fit in it.... Yeah I have a big phone, but this is a big super expensive vehicle. You really don't expect someone with a big expensive SUV to maybe have a big expensive phone too!?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc