What did you receive in the mail today for your Ranger?

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I understand what you're saying but a lot of these are for "just in case" instances. Sure it could happen to yours but the chances of a dealer today messing something up is greater than years before. I mean they can't even to a simple oil change with screwing it up never mind PDI. If it's a quick in and out and they're going to have a company like Safelite do it I'm all for it. But if you have to leave it there for days or longer I doubt I would.

We had a taillight recall a couple years ago and most here including myself never went in to get theirs checked. So far mine never caught fire. :wink:?
Since you mentioned Safelite let me tell you a story . They came to the house to replace a cracked windshield on my wifes GLK back in 2014 . It was all scratched up on the inside where the installer used a razor blade on the dry surface to scrape off the stickers . It was terrible , you could notice the scratches easily even from the outside looking in . I called and then sent them a text with pics that showed how bad they were and they set up another appointment a few weeks later as the adhesive needed to cure first before removing the new windshield . The installer that came next was a different guy and the same thing all over again . He cleaned the window dry with a razor blade . I told them don't bother sending someone else out and that I would make the trip to their shop for the next one and they would get paid when they figured out how to get it right .

I've used them since and was all good but just goes to show you that you never know who the dummy is going to be that may be working on your ride :(

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Since you mentioned Safelite let me tell you a story . They came to the house to replace a cracked windshield on my wifes GLK back in 2014 . It was all scratched up on the inside where the installer used a razor blade on the dry surface to scrape off the stickers . It was terrible , you could notice the scratches easily even from the outside looking in . I called and then sent them a text with pics that showed how bad they were and they set up another appointment a few weeks later as the adhesive needed to cure first before removing the new windshield . The installer that came next was a different guy and the same thing all over again . He cleaned the window dry with a razor blade . I told them don't bother sending someone else out and that I would make the trip to their shop for the next one and they would get paid when they figured out how to get it right .

I've used them since and was all good but just goes to show you that you never know who the dummy is going to be that may be working on your ride :(
Sadly I've heard a few others here say they've had a bad experience with them too. I've been using them for years and just recently here when they fixed the windshield chip on my Ranger and they were great. But like many things today it seems like you're rolling the dice no matter what you do. :sadface:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
it wasnt for fire Dave.
cant believe you're so die hard about 6 year old tires, but having no brake lights and possibly getting rear ended is an acceptable risk for you
And I can't believe you're so hypocritical telling someone to buy old used tires when you're so adamant on fixing a windshield. :rolleyes: Can't have it both way now it's either they're both dangerous or neither are. Especially when they (the tire manufacturers) recommend changing your tires if they're 6 years old regardless of miles on them.

https://www.bumper.com/car-advice/h...exposure to sunlight, pollution and chemicals

Tire manufacturers such as Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone recommend replacing tires before they’re six years old, even if you haven’t gone near the mileage limit. Tires degrade from exposure to sunlight, pollution and chemicals. So even if you’re someone who doesn’t log many miles each year,

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Ignition Trim Ring. For some reason Ford did not include this on the 5g Rangers and it leaves the ignition area with an unfinished look. It is only for the key ignition models not the push button starts. This is a quality product and has an OEM appearance. I chose the glow in the dark model. It installs easily and fits perfectly, improving the look of the ignition panel. Came with detailed instructions.

A shout out to Dean who is a fellow Ranger owner and member on this site and markets this item on ebay. I have no investment in this product but am impressed with it and encourage you to consider it if are going to order one: Dean's 3D Printed Ignition Trim Ring Bezel (Build/Buy Thread) | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

Outside.jpg

Inside.jpg

Installed (view 1).jpg

Installed (view 2).jpg

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
And I can't believe you're so hypocritical telling someone to buy old used tires when you're so adamant on fixing a windshield. :rolleyes: Can't have it both way now it's either they're both dangerous or neither are. Especially when they (the tire manufacturers) recommend changing your tires if they're 6 years old regardless of miles on them.

https://www.bumper.com/car-advice/how-often-change-tires/#:~:text=Tire manufacturers such as Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone,degrade from exposure to sunlight, pollution and chemicals
I feel bad for @Scott D - he’ll need new tires before he needs his first service. ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
I feel bad for @Scott D - he’ll need new tires before he needs his first service. ?
I changed my oil last December. :D I'm going to do it once a year, Ford supposedly recommends it.

I'm driving it once a week now. It got me around yesterday to the barber shop and stopping by the father in-law's house.

I was in a tire shop recently with the company vehicle and saw a sign that said replacing tires every 8 years is recommended, regardless of tread depth. So I got that going for me. lol.

Noface

First Name
Jes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Nerd
Getting close to having all the parts to get the suspension sorted on the ranger.
1B293209-1440-4445-822D-61816BE795AE.jpeg

Since I gave Stage3 a hard time in my previous post about their packaging/shipping, I will say this was extremely well packaged.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I understand what you're saying but a lot of these are for "just in case" instances. Sure it could happen to yours but the chances of a dealer today messing something up is greater than years before. I mean they can't even to a simple oil change with screwing it up never mind PDI. If it's a quick in and out and they're going to have a company like Safelite do it I'm all for it. But if you have to leave it there for days or longer I doubt I would.

We had a taillight recall a couple years ago and most here including myself never went in to get theirs checked. So far mine never caught fire. :wink:?
I would agree with you except...

...the guy doing the oil change has near zero experience and is paid peanuts. The guy doing the recall work is a more experienced tech who is getting paid for that experience.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I would agree with you except...

...the guy doing the oil change has near zero experience and is paid peanuts. The guy doing the recall work is a more experienced tech who is getting paid for that experience.
You'd hope they're all like this but they're not. :wink: There was someone in the blend door thread who had theirs done (should've been by an experienced tech) and there were scratches and marks all over his console and dash. I've read even more horror stories on the Bronco forum. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done but I'd have a hard time bringing mine in and taking the chance something else will get messed up. I have zero confidence in my local dealer especially since the service manager (who was great) has now left.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I received the AVS "Universal" sill protectors Saturday. Honestly, they're probably stair treads but the curve fits the Ranger sill well.

I was also supposed to receive the window deflectors but only the sill guards were in the package. I thought I was doing good by ordering directly from AVS and we'll see what customer support says ...

So I absolutely can not recommend these to anyone here. While I think they look fine and they'll certainly provide protection, they do need to be cut, but that's no biggie. A more talented person than I could scribe it to fit like a glove (I should have rounded the corners after trimming, but Soupie's not about looks—all utility, all dump runs, all the time!). The plastic's soft and cuts easily with a utility knife.

I can't recommend them because of their double-backed tape.

I have a feeling that these have been sitting around a long time, maybe at varying temperatures, because I could not peel off the tape's backing. It broke into tiny pieces and was very brittle. It wouldn't even peel with the gentle use of a blade, it just kept breaking into small bits ...

So I pulled those off, not easy either, and put on a few bucks worth of 3M tape.

IMG_20220724_113417059_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220724_114547304_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220724_125935918.jpg

IMG_20220724_131450398.jpg

IMG_20220724_131617852.jpg

IMG_20220724_132012579.jpg