Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I delivered a bundle of Ocitillo canes to my friend, Off road retired Crew Chief and friend for his Ocitillo vision block fence. Throns are about ¼-½" long....ouch! More tightly packed than the fence below, but.....

Here is an thorny example.

ocotillo-fence.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired
Sponsored

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Hi Folks,

I delivered a bundle of Ocitillo canes to my friend, Off road retired Crew Chief and friend for his Ocitillo vision block fence. Throns are about ¼-½" long....ouch! More tightly packed than the fence below, but.....

ocotillo-fence.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
Will those grow into a live hedge ?

Reactions: FoD

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Folks,

ocotillo-fence.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
Hi Phil,

How did you handle these? Like you said they're so thorny they poke through almost anything. Every once in a while I will get to close to mine (I have 3 of them) and it's a quick shock to the backside! :shock:

They grow in the wild in the desert but can also be transplanted for landscaping. Here's my largest one in my front yard. In the spring the tips will produce red flowers.

IMG_0075.JPG

Here's one in the wild out in the desert.

IMG_0065.JPG

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
H RR,

They will become a living throny fence if you start with canes from a live plant. Mine were from rejects from Ocotillo that died during the first year I landscaped my new house. Handling them is problematic...there are thorns everywhere. I have a pair of 18" long tongs that I use. I have 5 in my yard...they are my favorite Succulent (they are not really cactus). All cactus are succulents but not all succulents are cactus. Ocotillo are deciduous as they drop their leaves in the fall.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
The Ocotillo was beautiful in the desert. I can’t imagine dealing with it making a fence.

My neighbourhood in Queen Creek was called Ocotillo Landing.

At my Queen Creek house, my foot accidentally went up against our barrel cactus. A thorn pierced my running shoe and into my foot. Did that ever hurt and it took awhile to heal.

Sometimes when your golf ball went into the desert, the best decision was just to leave it, especially if it was surrounded with cholla.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Took it south of the border to MX. Well we park on the US side and walk over so it's not such a hassle getting out with your vehicle. We go down to Los Algodonez,MX at least once a year to walk around,eat and grab a few cheap meds. I don't really take anything but allergy pills and I like to have some antibiotics on hand as I have Asthma and when I get a cold I get bronchitis.

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3379.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Took it south of the border to MX. Well we park on the US side and walk over so it's not such a hassle getting out with your vehicle. We go down to Los Algodonez,MX at least once a year to walk around,eat and grab a few cheap meds. I don't really take anything but allergy pills and I like to have some antibiotics on hand as I have Asthma and when I get a cold I get bronchitis.

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3379.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG
Cool trip Dave !! Is it safe down there? Tv makes it sound like the wild wild west.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool trip Dave !! Is it safe down there? Tv makes it sound like the wild wild west.
A lot of my Canadian friends would cross the border near Yuma and go to Los Algodones and get dental work done and new eye glasses.

I am like you and I am fearful to cross over there, but I know lots of people who love vacationing in Mexico.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
... grab a few cheap meds. I don't really take anything but allergy pills and I like to have some antibiotics on hand as I have Asthma and when I get a cold I get bronchitis.
Funny, as a child I got brochitis during allergy season. I used to get sick/congested and my mom would make me take a tablespoon of castor oil and then shove an orange wedge in my mouth to keep me from spewing...uck!! Also was a big fan of mustard plasters and the Vic's vaporizer.

My mom always thought it was regular colds and finally took me to a Dr that knew about allergy testing. Turns out that I was allergic to Acacia pollen which bloomed in Apri & October (I think it was) which coincided with the above events.

No fun...until the Ranger!!? oh, and the ongoing saga of Damper Wars..du du du dooo dah

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
We've been going down there for about 8 years now and yes it's very safe in that area. It's about 4 square blocks with dentists, optometrist and pharmacies along with your street vendors. There's a lot of Police there and this is their lively hood so they have to make sure it's safe. TV makes everything seem bad in the world right now. lol

I've had some dental work done there in the past and I can say it's better than the overpriced dentist I've had back east. Much better care and most have all the advanced technology we have here. I don't think I would want to get anything done now with COVID but then again I would be hesitant to do it here too right now.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Just say'n...one tooth...one tooth...:crackup::turkey::tumbleweed::giggle::lipssealed:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The Ocotillo was beautiful in the desert. I can’t imagine dealing with it making a fence.

My neighbourhood in Queen Creek was called Ocotillo Landing.

At my Queen Creek house, my foot accidentally went up against our barrel cactus. A thorn pierced my running shoe and into my foot. Did that ever hurt and it took awhile to heal.

Sometimes when your golf ball went into the desert, the best decision was just to leave it, especially if it was surrounded with cholla.
Hi Gary,

The Jumping Cholla are the worst. When hiking in the desert, I carry a Leatherman Multi-tool. I use the needle nose pliers to remove Cholla needles from our hiking boots. If you look at a Cholla needle under a magnifying glass you see microscopic barbs that are oriented to keep the needle working it way into your skin, boot etc. Insidious cactus....

Nothing to do with a 5G Ranger, but part of living out here in the West, which I dearly love. Next installment of non 5G is "How to pet a Rattlesnake" Stay tuned!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engneering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Gary,

The Jumping Cholla are the worst. When hiking in the desert, I carry a Leatherman Multi-too. I use the needle nose pliers to remove Cholla needles from our hiking boots. If you look at a Cholla needle under a magnifying glass you see microscopic barbs that are oriented to keep the needle working it way into your skin, boot etc. Insidious cactus....

Nothing to do with a 5G Ranger, but part of living out here in the West, which I dearly love. Next installment of non 5T is "How to pet a Rattlesnake" Stay tuned!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engneering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
We used to bring needle nose pliers and a comb with us in our golf bags. Three of the four of us got attached with cholla, including myself looking for someone else’s ball.

I watched an Accenture World Golfing event at Dove Mountain near Tuscon. Rory was hitting out of the rough with all the fans around him. His ball hit a rock and everyone jumped back. One poor fellow jumped back into a full cholla bush and his entire back was covered with cholla. Needless to say he got some TV coverage..

Found the footage: https://www.pgatour.com/video/2014/...cactus-as-rory-mcilroy-hits-out-of-deser.html

Last edited:

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
How to pet a rattlesnake. Use a very long..................................................... handle.