RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I experimented with the Trail Management mode in the snow today. I came out extremely impressed. My crappy driving I got thru, but was spinning my tires a lot. I put it in TM Mud, Ruts and Snow Mode and set it to 7 MPH. It took off and didn't spin its wheels at all - just motored thru all the snow without a hiccup. I raised it up to 15MPH at one point and it just worked.

I was extremely impressed and will be using it again when I drive in the snow. I thought it was more of a gimmick, but it really works.....
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I experimented with the Trail Management mode in the snow today. I came out extremely impressed. My crappy driving I got thru, but was spinning my tires a lot. I put it in TM Mud, Ruts and Snow Mode and set it to 7 MPH. It took off and didn't spin its wheels at all - just motored thru all the snow without a hiccup. I raised it up to 15MPH at one point and it just worked.

I was extremely impressed and will be using it again when I drive in the snow.

I thought it was more of a gimmick, but it really works.....
I thought this too but tested it out when I first got the truck off roading on a steep trail. It was nice how it takes over and rock crawls up the hill with zero effort. You can step on the gas to override it then let off and it goes right back to your set speed. The only thing that's freaky is the grinding from the ABS pumps. It sounds like rocks grinding into your rotors.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I thought this too but tested it out when I first got the truck off roading on a steep trail. It was nice how it takes over and rock crawls up the hill with zero effort. You can step on the gas to override it then let off and it goes right back to your set speed. The only thing that's freaky is the grinding from the ABS pumps. It sounds like rocks grinding into your rotors.
I didn't have any ABS noise, although most of my travel was uphill, not down. But even downhill in the snow the ABS wasn't kicking in. I was honestly amazed at how well it worked - I will be using it again in the future for sure.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I didn't have any ABS noise, although most of my travel was uphill, not down. But even downhill in the snow the ABS wasn't kicking in. I was honestly amazed at how well it worked - I will be using it again in the future for sure.
I was going uphill too, a steep incline. That's surprising they usually are loud and grinding. At least now if it does it you'll know you didn't break something. Funny because I had "Crawl Control" in my Tacoma and never used it because I also thought it was gimmicky. It really does work good and will get you through some tough stuff easily. Plus it kind of relaxes you where you're not so focused on your feet/brakes and you can look ahead and plan your route.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
  • Buffed and polished most of the exterior. Nothing fancy, just basic turtle wax scratch remover.
  • Cleaned windows
  • Did more dent removal
  • 303'ed the bed cover. About all I use it for these days.
  • Broke my PCV connector so hopefully I can get my catch can installed soon lol

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
same for me. when i first got the 5g with TM i thought pfft what would some computer nerd know about off road traction. and then i tried it. :eek: works so well its crazy. i dont even bother with the selector switch now unless im wanting 4 low which is rare. the mud ruts snow and the sand modes are my favorite. they make it so easy. i dont even bother to air down anymore lately lol.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I did a brake bleed. I used a 3/16" ID rubber hose. I was able to pull 20-30 small bubbles from the passenger rear line and one bubble about 4" long and a lot of little bubbles from the passenger front. No wonder the pedal was soft. This was the first bleed on the truck. If you have a soft pedal, I highly recommend bleeding the brakes. Pedal has a much, much firmer feel now.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
I did a brake bleed. I used a 3/16" ID rubber hose. I was able to pull 20-30 small bubbles from the passenger rear line and one bubble about 4" long and a lot of little bubbles from the passenger front. No wonder the pedal was soft. This was the first bleed on the truck. If you have a soft pedal, I highly recommend bleeding the brakes. Pedal has a much, much firmer feel now.
I don't know about a soft feel, but I have pulsation in heavy braking, like downhill. Last year, at my last oil change told the dealer and they said they test drove and couldn't detect anything. I think it's getting worse, and probably bad pads/shoes or a warped rotor. I guess I'll have to insist on them checking it out next time. I don't know if this is under warranty, just passed 3 years at Christmas and only 20,000 miles. I haven't seen anything on any thread about brake pulsation.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about a soft feel, but I have pulsation in heavy braking, like downhill. Last year, at my last oil change told the dealer and they said they test drove and couldn't detect anything. I think it's getting worse, and probably bad pads/shoes or a warped rotor. I guess I'll have to insist on them checking it out next time. I don't know if this is under warranty, just passed 3 years at Christmas and only 20,000 miles. I haven't seen anything on any thread about brake pulsation.
Brakes are never covered under warranty unless you can prove directly that the issue is a defect. Its a wearable. If you have pulsating, my guess is warped rotors. You can take them to a parts store and have them checked for runout, but given the cost of rotors is relatively cheap, you might be better off just replacing them.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Brakes are never covered under warranty unless you can prove directly that the issue is a defect. Its a wearable. If you have pulsating, my guess is warped rotors. You can take them to a parts store and have them checked for runout, but given the cost of rotors is relatively cheap, you might be better off just replacing them.
I figured that but that said, I've worked around iron foundries my whole career and know a little bit about cast iron. I know they make these by the thousands at quite few large foundries, eg every Toyota rotor in the US is made at Waupaca Plant 5 in Tell City, IN. #1, I don't have faith that every rotor is a quality rotor, and #2, cannot understand what one could do to warp a rotor. If it's a good casting in a vehicle driven normally, it should not warp. I suspect chemistry or residual stress in casting, shakeout or machining. And if I really wanted to, I could run a chemistry, hardness test, and put them under a microscope, just for shits and giggles (I also worked in iron and steel r & d for 8 years). Nah.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
1675098481347.png

Took her to the carwash for her quarterly (I know) wash. New steps and swapped out the chrome tail-tip for a black one. She feels like a million bucks and so do I

Tom Jones

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
R&D Manager
Definitely sequential. I’m looking at buying a set of these for myself in the very near future. I know you haven’t had yours for very long, but how are they holding up and how do they perform at night? Also, and I hate to ask, do you have any pics of them in action? I just want to know if they have real world performance close to what the Headlight Revolution YouTube video claims. TIA.
They are great! I had to bring the beams way up from where they were out of the box to get them to point where the old stock lights were. But the beam is nice and bright, shines a great white light with no discoloration. The cutoff is sharp so I don’t feel like I’m blinding other drivers.
No problems with reliability so far. We have had an insane amount of rain here in the Bay Area lately and I haven’t had any problems. I love the DRL’s. I will grab a photo of the beam at night if I can remember haha

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Intake valve cleaning and transmission fluid change at 36k miles. Switching gears feels buttery but I have to drive more to confirm how all my usual interactions with the truck are. It was raining today and could not push it to test things. Transmission fluid was very dark, I asked for pictures but they forgot. No metal shavings though is the good news. I personally would not wait until 100K miles or more for a transmission fluid change, but that's up to you to be fair.
IMG_5932.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg
IMG_5956.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Intake valve cleaning and transmission fluid change at 36k miles. Switching gears feels buttery but I have to drive more to confirm how all my usual interactions with the truck are. It was raining today and could not push it to test things. Transmission fluid was very dark, I asked for pictures but they forgot. No metal shavings though is the good news. I personally would not wait until 100K miles or more for a transmission fluid change, but that's up to you to be fair.
IMG_5932.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg
IMG_5956.jpg
This Intake valves are pretty nasty for 36K. Maybe that's normal but I can't see letting them go to much longer like that. Plus we all know you don't drive like an old lady either so giving it the "Italian Tune Up" doesn't seem to work. lol

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
This Intake valves are pretty nasty for 36K. Maybe that's normal but I can't see letting them go to much longer like that. Plus we all know you don't drive like an old lady either so giving it the "Italian Tune Up" doesn't seem to work. lol
Yeah, was not expecting it to be THAT bad... It definitely was very worth it for "science" either way. Now we have working data :)
Sponsored