First Name
Khouji
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2015
Occupation
Truck Driver
For my Ranger 5, I intend to get a sturdy folding Tonneau cover from 4wheelonline. Can someone give me some suggestions or advice on what to buy?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
For my Ranger 5, I intend to get a sturdy folding Tonneau cover from 4wheelonline. Can someone give me some suggestions or advice on what to buy?
I'm really picky over what I buy when it comes to quality and don't mind paying to get it. Not sure if that's your mindset, but I ended up buying a Leer HF650M (there's also a 350M which sits on top of the bed rails vs flush style of the 650M). I wanted flush style to keep more of the bedrails exposed in case I elect to install a rack system with T-slot channels down the road. I liked the idea of no drain tubes needing to be ran down into the truck bed with the Leer covers. I don't get my truck until next week so unfortunately I can't comment on the installation of it. Information in that regard seems somewhat limited online as well. Seems most people go with the BakFlip or Truxedo...

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
So, a while back I posted about this gate seal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YF5BL8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally installed today. I'm neutral on it. It fits, sort of, but the ranger gate has some big gaps and the seal solution isn't great. I can't say it doesn't work cause I've not driven on dirt roads or in the rain, but I feel like it will be 75% at best.
Thanks for reporting back with your honest opinion on this! Seems the contours of the Ranger's tailgate makes sealing it a difficult task. I have an Extang here to go in mine once I get my truck, but was disappointed to see it specifically states on the package that it's not compatible with the Ranger (especially considering I purchased from an online retailer claiming it was universal fit including Ranger). I have been searching for something confirmed to fit well but appears there isn't anything, at least that I've seen so far.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Thanks for reporting back with your honest opinion on this! Seems the contours of the Ranger's tailgate makes sealing it a difficult task. I have an Extang here to go in mine once I get my truck, but was disappointed to see it specifically states on the package that it's not compatible with the Ranger (especially considering I purchased from an online retailer claiming it was universal fit including Ranger). I have been searching for something confirmed to fit well but appears there isn't anything, at least that I've seen so far.
From what I gather, this one is basically the same as the Extang (which I bought and returned when the package said it wasn't for rangers), but with a couple extra larger pieces to fill in larger gaps. I think with some ingenuity one could get a proper seal, but I think you'd need to use 2 packs to fill in all the gaps. We'll see.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
From what I gather, this one is basically the same as the Extang (which I bought and returned when the package said it wasn't for rangers), but with a couple extra larger pieces to fill in larger gaps. I think with some ingenuity one could get a proper seal, but I think you'd need to use 2 packs to fill in all the gaps. We'll see.
Yes, ingenuity with a few hours of brainstorming . . . and ignoring the instructions.

I found the odd shaped lower corner gaps most difficult to fill. Including the gap behind the hinge plates.

Together with some closed cell foam packing blocks and weather seal from Home Depot, I used pieces from two packs of this ESI Ranger specific seal.

ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal with Taper Seal Compatible with Ford Ranger 2019 and Newer

After several small test fittings, I ignored the instructions, then cut and installed the pieces for a better fit.

I put the seals on the outer edge to keep dirt out of the latch mechanisms.

The Home Depot seal works great across the bottom except at the ends where the tailgate corners are rounded. I used the thicker blocks there.

I still have a few small holes which I may fill with caulk.

Prior to delivery, my dealer installed the Ford damperer thingee. Never cared for the way the tailgate cable gets crunched. After installing the seals on the outer edge, had to remove the damper, not enough clearance.

Image 067.png

Image 053.png

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Yes, ingenuity with a few hours of brainstorming . . . and ignoring the instructions.

I found the odd shaped lower corner gaps most difficult to fill. Including the gap behind the hinge plates.

Together with some closed cell foam packing blocks and weather seal from Home Depot, I used pieces from two packs of this ESI Ranger specific seal.

ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal with Taper Seal Compatible with Ford Ranger 2019 and Newer

After several small test fittings, I ignored the instructions, then cut and installed the pieces for a better fit.

I put the seals on the outer edge to keep dirt out of the latch mechanisms.

The Home Depot seal works great across the bottom except at the ends where the tailgate corners are rounded. I used the thicker blocks there.

I still have a few small holes which I may fill with caulk.

Prior to delivery, my dealer installed the Ford damperer thingee. Never cared for the way the tailgate cable gets crunched. After installing the seals on the outer edge, had to remove the damper, not enough clearance.

Image 067.png

Image 053.png
Cool. For the hinge gap, I too am trying silicon caulk. It's not meant for larger gaps, but as you said, to hell with instructions. I filled in one side and waiting to see if it sticks.

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
A busy weekend and a new truck … LOL! Have to have the Tailgate dampener, grill lights, Rhino exhaust tip, bright puddle lights, Wolf Haus split power ( bed lights and inverter coming), console organizer.

that’s all for now … ?

7B805E31-ACF5-459B-8CE0-97612084256D.jpeg

A0077AB3-8359-4C66-B81B-F82A5B4698E1.jpeg

3046FB8D-CCDA-4A2A-8FAE-85C9E4F140DC.jpeg

4F308760-EAD4-4ABE-BD08-CE1FA5BFCCF5.jpeg

083D8BD0-E4D3-4646-BD75-B98F477B1F0C.jpeg

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just a little update on this seemingly minor little switch-up:
Moving my big, heavy recovery box closer to the front of the truck actually made a really noticeable difference in how the truck felt over speedbumps. It wasn't as bouncy and didn't jar me. There is a bridge I have to drive over on the way to the lake and after I put the add-a-leaf on the truck, it felt like the rear was getting airborne over the bridge. I would always forget to slow down and experience it and get a little annoyed. I forgot it this past Saturday but the truck was much smoother with the weight redistributed. WIN!
Before:
2020-10-31 17.19.51.jpg

After:
2021-05-28 17.18.29.jpg

2021-05-28 17.18.44.jpg

2021-05-28 17.18.50.jpg

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’ve been wondering if the Aussie versions of tailgate seals are better suited than the approach we’re all taking. They have molded corner blocks and the strip seals are hard fastened to the opening of the bed. Only problem is they cost a fortune! I want to try one but everyone I have emailed about it never answers back from down under!

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I’ve been wondering if the Aussie versions of tailgate seals are better suited than the approach we’re all taking. They have molded corner blocks and the strip seals are hard fastened to the opening of the bed. Only problem is they cost a fortune! I want to try one but everyone I have emailed about it never answers back from down under!
Got a link?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
They're attending to Kangaroo's ??? :LOL:
Sponsored