Sponsored

What did you do to your Ranger today?

Burnt Money

Well-Known Member
First Name
Andy
Joined
Jan 11, 2022
Threads
9
Messages
560
Reaction score
3,447
Location
Charleston SC
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
They'd probably look like (chunky) peanut butter!:oops:


I just had mine done last month at 21,000 miles. The rear wasn't bad and the TC wasn't bad either but the front was darker and a little metal. Funny because when I did my '19 Ranger around the same miles it was the opposite where the rear was darker and had more metal shavings. I would never follow those intervals that Ford puts up! Even the oil/filter gets changed every 5K but I don't drive a lot anymore so that's basically once every 10-12 months. lol
It’s interesting how the fluids are different from your 2019 to your current one. I wonder if anything has changed in the parts Ford is using? I also change the oil every 5k miles. It’s cheap insurance and takes 20 minutes. I definitely should have cleaned under the truck before working on it today. Lots of dry mud under it lol.
Sponsored

 

AzScorpion

Moderator
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Threads
342
Messages
27,112
Reaction score
137,222
Location
Back Home In AZ!
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired...Full Time Slacker
That is about the same amount of driving my Dad does since he is retired. When I sold my 2018 F150 to him it had 118,000+ miles on it. I asked Dad the last time I was over there for a visit how many miles are on it now? He said that it just a little over 120,000 miles on it, he's had it for 3 years lol. 😆
I do a little more than that. lol I only put on 6,179 last year and 1,250 was driving here from Arkansas. :shock: When lived up in the Phoenix area (and before retiring) I'd be around 7-8K a year. All my jobs were local and the furthest was about 12 miles away. I did my share of traveling for work back east and when I sold the business and moved to AZ I was 51 and semi retired. I only worked 3-4 days a week (not every week either) and even then they weren't full days, more like 5-6 hours max. There's so much traffic up there I didn't have the patience to travel any further nor the need to thankfully.
 

TxOTRRanger

Well-Known Member
First Name
Clay
Joined
Jul 14, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
1,699
Reaction score
8,087
Location
Elwood, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT supercrew SPORT 4X4
Occupation
Currently unemployed (beach bum)lol
I do a little more than that. lol I only put on 6,179 last year and 1,250 was driving here from Arkansas. :shock: When lived up in the Phoenix area (and before retiring) I'd be around 7-8K a year. All my jobs were local and the furthest was about 12 miles away. I did my share of traveling for work back east and when I sold the business and moved to AZ I was 51 and semi retired. I only worked 3-4 days a week (not every week either) and even then they weren't full days, more like 5-6 hours max. There's so much traffic up there I didn't have the patience to travel any further nor the need to thankfully.
Yeah. Truth be told, since Dad retired he doesn't go anywhere unless he wants to or needs to. He's on his own clock now and doesn't have to worry about punching a company clock. TBH, can't say that I blame him lol.
 

ScarzRanger21(2.0)

Well-Known Member
First Name
Eric
Joined
Dec 9, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
315
Reaction score
1,055
Location
Auberry, CA
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger 4x4, 2019 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Electrician
We have an FSA - flexible spending account- for medical stuff through our company. Gotta use it or loose it. So one purchase was an updated first aid kit. And it fits like a champ 😀

1000018292.webp
I keep mine under my seat so it’s not visible. Years ago I had those cool tactical molle seat covers with all sorts of pouches and stuff. Someone liked what they saw, broke the back window, and gutted my truck. They even cut the seat covers off… I don’t keep ANYTHING visible in my truck anymore. It’s all hidden and locked up. Makes things slightly less accessible but I’d rather not have all my stuff stolen again!
 


ControlNode

Well-Known Member
First Name
John
Joined
Nov 29, 2021
Threads
17
Messages
1,739
Reaction score
3,766
Location
Eastern NC
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Like @ControlNode said, it isn't that bad. I did the same as him and then a third time because I forgot 2 push pins and wanted it right. 2 tips. There is a push pin on the fender flare. Use an 8mm on the back side and push. It will collapse it enough that it will come out easy. Second, use a stubby flat screwdriver to push down on the bottom tabs on the grill. I liked this video the best. Install starts at 8:01.
My other tip is the flat panel behind the grill you need to remove to access the lower tabs, install that before the grill, makes it a lot easier. I may have installed the latch cover before putting the grill back on too, I can't recall for sure. Just be sure that all of the tabs are lining up before you press on any enough to secure them and you should have no problems.
 

woodworker

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joel
Joined
Nov 2, 2025
Threads
14
Messages
888
Reaction score
4,284
Location
virginia
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Sport
Occupation
Retired
Changed the rear differential oil and transfer case fluid. I’ll do the front differential Monday when I change the oil. Currently at 103,000 miles. I honestly can’t remember if this is the 3rd or 4th time I have changed them. Rear differential fluid looked fine a little dark. Transfer case fluid looked like coffee as usual. It’s crazy how the transfer case is so dark every time. I can only imagine what the transfer case, differentials and tranny fluid would look like at the 150k mile interval Ford recommends😳.
Fluids are cheap insurance compared to rebuild or replacement of the components holding said fluid. I’ve had every single service recommended by Ford and it goes in every 5000 miles for whatever it needs. It’s ready to turn 150,000 this month and I bought it with 7 miles five years ago next week. Up until about two weeks ago, it has run absolutely trouble free. The first “broke fix” issue was a failing rear drive shaft center support bearing at 148,000, I had Ford put a whole new OEM shaft in. Getting ready to have them do all underneath fluids probably next month. Having spent 35+ years in nuclear power plant maintenance and management, where if you didn’t log it, it didn’t happen, I keep a detailed maintenance record on vehicles. This is a partial list of what has been done to this truck. I am very pleased with this Ranger.
BATTERY
11/24/2023 @ 80,000
BELTS
100,353
BRAKE SYSTEM FLUSH
95,001 / 144,888
COOLANT FLUSH
70,263 / 124,743
DRIVE SHAFT REPLACEMENT
148,372. (12/30/2025)
FRONT AXLE OIL CHANGE
100,353
FUEL SYSTEM FLUSH
59,868 / 119,781
LUG NUTS
144,888
REAR AXLE OIL CHANGE
89,889
SPARK PLUGS
59,868 / 119,781
TRANSFER CASE OIL CHANGE
100,353
TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE
95,001
 

tm1506

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Aug 10, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
204
Reaction score
1,182
Location
Central Illinois
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Outback XT
Occupation
Retired
Yeah. Truth be told, since Dad retired he doesn't go anywhere unless he wants to or needs to. He's on his own clock now and doesn't have to worry about punching a company clock. TBH, can't say that I blame him lol.
I can relate to your Dad. Been retired for 15 years and fill up every two to three weeks, yeah I don't drive much unless I have too. :rockon:
 

dozxab

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Sep 14, 2024
Threads
17
Messages
660
Reaction score
2,170
Location
Prescott AZ
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK
Occupation
Retired
I can relate to your Dad. Been retired for 15 years and fill up every two to three weeks, yeah I don't drive much unless I have too. :rockon:
I am retired too. I fill up when I hit 3/4 of a tank... Or every 7 to 10 days. 😁
 

AzScorpion

Moderator
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Threads
342
Messages
27,112
Reaction score
137,222
Location
Back Home In AZ!
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired...Full Time Slacker
I am retired too. I fill up when I hit 3/4 of a tank... Or every 7 to 10 days. 😁
I'm about once a month and I usually still have 1/4 - 1/3 of a tank left. o_O
 

woodworker

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joel
Joined
Nov 2, 2025
Threads
14
Messages
888
Reaction score
4,284
Location
virginia
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Sport
Occupation
Retired
I can relate to your Dad. Been retired for 15 years and fill up every two to three weeks, yeah I don't drive much unless I have too. :rockon:
Been retired 12 years this month. Got 149,000 miles on a 2021 Ranger, 24,000 on a 2016 CRV, 142,000 on a 2013 Grand Cherokee, and probably 100,000 on several other vehicles since retiring.
 

rang19ca

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chuck
Joined
Apr 29, 2019
Threads
11
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
7,700
Location
Carpinteria Ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I have 26,800 on my 2019 Ranger. I do my own oil and filter changes at about 4500 mile intervals. Last year after the Trans, CDF rebuild, I had all the fluids replaced including coolant and brake fluid, both differentials and the transfer case. I would not let these go with the Ford recommended mileages. I still think of this as a brand new truck with an old guy driver .:shock:
 

TxOTRRanger

Well-Known Member
First Name
Clay
Joined
Jul 14, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
1,699
Reaction score
8,087
Location
Elwood, Texas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT supercrew SPORT 4X4
Occupation
Currently unemployed (beach bum)lol
I'm on the road so regularly that I have to stop and top off the tank with 89 octane in 3 day intervals. With the truck averaging between 20 and 23 mpg depending on what the weather conditions are.
 
 








Top