What’s everyone doing with the switch for their ditch lights?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I have the following switch for my SS3 ditch lights: https://www.diodedynamics.com/light-duty-dual-output-offroad-wiring-harness.html

However, right now it’s sorta just dangling there. How has everyone else mounted their switch?
Pick a spot on the dash plastic, by your left or right knee is easy access for install and use. Drill a hole, insert switch, attach wires.

Alternately if you don't want to drill the plastic. Attach a piece of aluminum sheet or plastic sheet to the bottom edge of the dash, bolt it to the metal behind the factory plastic. Then install the switch on that sheet.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
*cough* Tremor *cough*

I’ve seen a few members mount that one in the fuse panel cover finger-pull - to the left of the steering column.

Or add that neat switch plate that goes between the two 12v outlets. That gives some flexibility for future accessories.

OP
OP

CharlieRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
*cough* Tremor *cough*

I’ve seen a few members mount that one in the fuse panel cover finger-pull - to the left of the steering column.

Or add that neat switch plate that goes between the two 12v outlets. That gives some flexibility for future accessories.
Yeah I was looking at the one brand Stedi, but their switches aren’t rated for the same amperage as the DD one. Haven’t dug yet into whether you can add your own switch.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
There is a perfect hole on the back of the fuse box/dash under the steering wheel. I drilled the other side of this hole and it fits the switch perfectly.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Mine are tied to my front fog bar, which is a button selection on one of my controllers.

All of them have their own relay channels power sources but they tie into the same trigger line on the controller.

IMG_20230416_195102.jpg
Where is the front air bag? Behind these?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
I'm happy with this location. Easily reached, but not bumping them 'on' with my knee getting in or out of the truck.
20221024_153349.jpg

Switch on the right is the same ditch light harness from diode dynamics. The left switch is for their pair of 6in lightbars mounted in the bumper.

Last edited:

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
I chose wireless...
LTFoig5.jpg
Oooo, that's a good mounting spot for the switch panel. I have the trigger 4 plus sitting in my garage and never spent enough time figuring out a mounting spot in the engine bay for the relay module... before I knew it I'd drilled two holes in lower dash panel. 🤷‍♂️

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4