What’s everyone using for rock lights?

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I’m starting to begin searching for rock lights to use for some better lighting when out on the trails in darker conditions.

I’m familiar with the big brands like Baja. Kc. And rigid. But for something I’ll use so little I’m not a fan of spending $300 on them lol

so I’m looking for some other options and brands that others have used.
I will be using with my trigger 6. So I don’t want just a phone module controller. Need to be able to wire them up as the trigger will do the wireless part for me.

Suggestions and opinions and pictures are bonus points!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I know you said you don't want to spend a lot on them but you should take a look at these from Lux. They're really nice lights and a super easy install as they're magnetized so not drilling and you can move them around easy to get the perfect position. Plus they're easy to add more if needed. Sid @Msfitoy has these and I'll be getting them on my Bronco. I know he has them somewhere on his build page.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/project-msfitoy-v3-0.2804/

https://luxlightingsystems.com/prod...-light-kit-for-trucks-8-piece-ground-coverage

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I know you said you don't want to spend a lot on them but you should take a look at these from Lux. They're really nice lights and a super easy install as they're magnetized so not drilling and you can move them around easy to get the perfect position. Plus they're easy to add more if needed. Sid @Msfitoy has these and I'll be getting them on my Bronco. I know he has them somewhere on his build page.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/project-msfitoy-v3-0.2804/

https://luxlightingsystems.com/prod...-light-kit-for-trucks-8-piece-ground-coverage
I have actually seen those. The only reason I haven’t considered them is by the time I add the set up to run my switch, I’m back up to like $280. And at that point I’d just go Baja haha but it’s good to know those at least are being recommended by others! I’ll have to check out more pics

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have actually seen those. The only reason I haven’t considered them is by the time I add the set up to run my switch, I’m back up to like $280. And at that point I’d just go Baja haha but it’s good to know those at least are being recommended by others! I’ll have to check out more pics
I just liked the ease of install and being able to adjust them without having to re-drill. I'm sure Sid will see this and be able to give you more info and knowing him he'll have plenty of pictures with his Ranger all lit up. lol I don't want to spend that much either so I'm interested too if others have a better recommendation. I know Amazon has some cheaper ones but not sure how good they really are and howling they'll last?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I just liked the easy of install and being able to adjust them without having to re-drill. I'm sure Sid will see this and be able to give you more info and knowing him he'll have plenty of pictures with his Ranger all lit up. lol I don't want to spend that much either so I'm interested too if others have a better recommendation. I know Amazon has some cheaper ones but not sure how good they really are and howling they'll last?
Yea I’ve seen a few magnetic options. Which would be nice. But curious how they stick with that felt type wheel well liner. Bc that would be great to not have to drill.
I’m going to reach out to Lux. As I read them again I may not need a additional hook up. Since I have the trigger it sounds like they have just a positive and negative link up which means I can come to to my trigger. But I’m gonna see what they say first

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I’ve seen a few magnetic options. Which would be nice. But curious how they stick with that felt type wheel well liner. Bc that would be great to not have to drill.
I’m going to reach out to Lux. As I read them again I may not need a additional hook up. Since I have the trigger it sounds like they have just a positive and negative link up which means I can come to to my trigger. But I’m gonna see what they say first
I have 8 under the truck and they're working great...haven't moved in many 10s thousand miles...at night, sometimes on pavement, I occasionally turn them on so I can see the wheels/tires in action (from my cameras of course)...I mount them to the frame, not in the wheel well...me, I prefer to see where my tires are on the trail...wheel well mounted rock lights are great for photo ops but in practice, just cast a black shadow right where you want...the contact patch... ?

The top monitor covers front bumper blind spot below the hood, middle monitor is facing forward, bottom is facing rear...

view1.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I have 8 under the truck and they're working great...haven't moved in many 10s thousand miles...at night, sometimes on pavement, I occasionally turn them on so I can see the wheels/tires in action (from my cameras of course)...I mount them to the frame, not in the wheel well...me, I prefer to see where my tires are on the trail...wheel well mounted rock lights are great for photo ops but in practice, just cast a black shadow right where you want...the contact patch... ?

The top monitor covers front bumper blind spot below the hood, middle monitor is facing forward, bottom is facing rear...

view1.JPG
thats a damn set up! :clap: thank you for all that. if you dont mind me asking; how did you mount them? With that fender liner; im not sure how to mount them since there is not metal contact surface. Also, did you run the pro installer for aux switches or just wire yourself? Im going to be running the trigger 6 and it sounds like I dont need the additional pro installer set up or not. Not really sure what the "extra" options are. Im hoping I dont need them so I can buy the larger set for same price as just the small set with the switch lmao

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thats a damn set up! :clap: thank you for all that. if you dont mind me asking; how did you mount them? With that fender liner; im not sure how to mount them since there is not metal contact surface. Also, did you run the pro installer for aux switches or just wire yourself? Im going to be running the trigger 6 and it sounds like I dont need the additional pro installer set up or not. Not really sure what the "extra" options are. Im hoping I dont need them so I can buy the larger set for same price as just the small set with the switch lmao
Thanks Derrick...as I mentioned, I did not mount in the fender well as they'd be useless for lighting up where the tires contact the trail...my lamps are all magnetically attached directly to the underside of the frame in front and back of each tire...I also didn't use pro installer kit and just ran them up front, tied the lines together and wired to one of the Trigger 6 outlets...

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Thanks Derrick...as I mentioned, I did not mount in the fender well as they'd be useless for lighting up where the tires contact the trail...my lamps are all magnetically attached directly to the underside of the frame in front and back of each tire...I also didn't use pro installer kit and just ran them up front, tied the lines together and wired to one of the Trigger 6 outlets...
oh shoot I misread that part of attaching the lights. I got so into your set up I got lost lol But that is good to know about not using the pro install kit as I did not see the need to add that if I plan to run to my trigger as you did. All that feedback helps!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I mount them to the frame, not in the wheel well...me, I prefer to see where my tires are on the trail...wheel well mounted rock lights are great for photo ops but in practice, just cast a black shadow right where you want...the contact patch... ?
I've always thought "rock lights" were stupid for that very reason. Always looked like the brotruck's version of underglow neon to me.

Glad to see somebody is using their noggin.

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I've always thought "rock lights" were stupid for that very reason. Always looked like the brotruck's version of underglow neon to me.

Glad to see somebody is using their noggin.
I’ll be honest, my lights only use very often. I want them to illuminate when I am out on the trails and in tougher places on the rocks, but also in the rare instance that I need to do something on my truck. I had a situation last year where I had to do some work on my tire and stupid me didn’t have a light on me and a rock light would’ve been very handy in that moment. Besides that those are the only two things I’ll ever use them for. No offense to anyone that does this but I can’t stand people who use them to drive around with like us the fast and furious on deep dish wheels with 2 inches of tire

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be honest, my lights only use very often. I want them to illuminate when I am out on the trails and in tougher places on the rocks, but also in the rare instance that I need to do something on my truck. I had a situation last year where I had to do some work on my tire and stupid me didn’t have a light on me and a rock light would’ve been very handy in that moment. Besides that those are the only two things I’ll ever use them for. No offense to anyone that does this but I can’t stand people who use them to drive around with like us the fast and furious on deep dish wheels with 2 inches of tire
These LUX are indispensable for working under the truck...everything is lit up underneath...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
stupid question I’m sure; but did you just splice the lights and these connectors together? I assume that’s all that has to be done since it’s just a p and n wire
Just solder them up in parallel as you move forward and seal them with water tight heat shrink wrap...the last junction being soldered to the connector then plug in...these lights draw so little amp that I used the lowest output of the 6 shooter...
Sponsored