We’re Off! Arizona - Colorado - South Dakota - Colorado - Utah and Back.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Don't ask, don't tell. But to plan a trip to go see RMNP and not realize that reservations are required to get into the park. Does raise some serious questions regards intent.
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Don't ask, don't tell. But to plan a trip to go see RMNP and not realize that reservations are required to get into the park. Does raise some serious questions regards intent.
Don't know when the "reservations Required" started...must be since everyone getting out after the "C". We were there in 2018, drove right in, went to the top visitor center. Had lunch, and spent an afternoon just exploring. Not "crowded" at all....lots of visitors but not crowded.
I guess since more and more people are visiting the parks, seems like reservations will become the new normal.
Wife and have been to all the parks Dave has visited, and many he hasen't, and every year they get more and more crowded...knock wood we visited Yellowstone and Grand Canyon several times, but not for the last 5-6 years. From what I understand, their packed every day...no parking available, and wall to wall people.
Now with Yellowstone closed, it may give the park a chance to up-grade some of their facilities.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know when the "reservations Required" started...must be since everyone getting out after the "C". We were there in 2018, drove right in, went to the top visitor center. Had lunch, and spent an afternoon just exploring. Not "crowded" at all....lots of visitors but not crowded.
1655579930060.png

1655579011001.png

pics say it all (one of estes park traffic) and reservation started 2 yrs back I believe. Wife and I used to hike in RMNP for over 15 yrs, mostly on Sunday mornings, each successive year we had to leave earlier for parking at trail heads (like 6am) and disliked having to drive thru Estes on the return trip that we mainly went to the wild basin. I support the n'tl parks but dislike the reservation system and like many provided comments when the park service solicited public feedback, but it was clear they were just going thru the motions and the decision had already been made. We'd also camp near Sept end in the west side of the park, Timber Creek and have dinner at the Grand Lodge, overlooking Grand Lake. But now live far away from that congested mess that Denver has turned into, a number of the state parks in the area also now require a reservation. Disgusting.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/06/02/rocky-mountain-national-park-reservation-problems/

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
1655579011001.png

pic says it all and reservation started 2 yrs back I believe. Wife and I used to hike in RMNP for over 15 yrs, mostly on Sunday mornings, each successive year we had to leave earlier for parking at trail heads (like 6am) and disliked having to drive thru Estes on the return trip that we mainly went to the wild basin. I support the n'tl parks but dislike the reservation system and like many provided comments when the park service solicited public feedback, but it was clear they were just going thru the motions and the decision had already been made. We'd also camp near Sept end in the west side of the park, Timber Creek and have dinner at the Grand Lodge, overlooking Grand Lake. But now live far away from that congested mess that Denver has turned into, a number of the state parks in the area also now require a reservation. Disgusting.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/06/02/rocky-mountain-national-park-reservation-problems/
Totally agree. Seems like the facilities at all the major parks, east and west, are still geared for their design 20-30 years ago, and have not been up-graded for the influx of and the growing population of visitors. We used to go to campgrounds either in or near the parks, but those are now booked 1-2 years in advance.
Last 2-3 years our travels have been to the smaller parks, and small town and villages where one can spend a nice day just walking the main and back streets, small shops and mom n pop resteraunts, local sights, ect.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
We didn't get to go into Estes SP because you needed a reservation. I get why they do this but it's a really pain and you can't always get tickets. I tried getting a reservation for Arches NP 2 months ago and all the morning time slots were already sold out. You can try at 6:00 pm the night before as they have some available then.

We ended up having a great lunch at an Italian restaurant in town then me and Annie headed down to our next hotel. Looking back I wish we had done things a little different and stayed in Custer 2 more days then hung out with Mark and his wife for 2 days. We still had a GREAT time with them non the less and looking forward to meeting up again. Thanks again Mark & Kathy for your hospitality and great company!!! You're always welcome in our home if you're ever in AZ. Sorry to say there were no pictures taken because it started pouring as we were saying our goodbyes. Unless he snuck some in in the middle of the night. :surprised:

A few shots of the drive up to Estes with some really nice views. Boy the weather here changes in an instant. One minute the sun was out the next it was pouring rain.

IMG_6471.jpg

IMG_6473.jpg

IMG_6474.jpg

IMG_6476.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

Saw this Eruption Green Bronco while in town.

Bronco.jpg
Sounds like you’re having a great time. Don’t worry about the house - the crew from Servepro has finished up and left. The drywallers will be in on Monday and the painters (not your guys but some kids from College Pro Painters) will have it looking kinda new by the end of the week. The good news is that there’s about $200 in empties in the back yard and there are still 3-1/2 more weeks of Airbnb guests to go - might get that up to $300 by the end of the month. :thumbsup:

Oh, how attached were you and Annie to that sofa?

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
Ughhh, lets see.....
You didn't see Dave's "Damper", and you forgot to give him some of your "sausage"...
Am I missing something here ??? :blush:
.......backing out of thread slowly and quietly..........

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree. Seems like the facilities at all the major parks, east and west, are still geared for their design 20-30 years ago, and have not been up-graded for the influx of and the growing population of visitors. We used to go to campgrounds either in or near the parks, but those are now booked 1-2 years in advance.
Last 2-3 years our travels have been to the smaller parks, and small town and villages where one can spend a nice day just walking the main and back streets, small shops and mom n pop resteraunts, local sights, ect.
As you probably know the parks service was underbudgeted for many yrs, I believe they received a large sum - as in billions to begin to address the backlog of projects - IIRC that may have been $90b in backlogged projects. Also their mission is to preserve the parks for future generations. I always stop to chat with the rangers I've encountered and to me they seem to be dedicated, sincere individuals, but some have mentioned the challenges of dealing with the increased visitations. I've encountered irate people that are incensed that they can't find a free place to park, but it's often not a simple process just to build more parking lots, more and more the park service relies on shuttles. The more cars in the park the more pollution - including noise, while on hikes in RMNP one can often hear the roar of packs of Harleys on trail ridge many miles from the road.
One priceless sight I encountered yrs back while hiking on the trail towards Long Peak was young elk sliding down a remaining stretch of snow, watched by elders, they were having a blast.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
When we left the hotel this morning I was trying to decide whether to go to Mt Evans (highest drivable peak in the country) or to Leadville. Mark had called and said definitely go to Mt Evans as we'll enjoy that and it's really a sight to see and he wasn't kidding! It's 14,260' up and the road there is very narrow with long drop offs and no guardrails. Annie wouldn't even look out the window most of the way up. lol The views were spectacular and while it was cold (43 degrees) it really was a sight to see if you're ever close by.

IMG_6485.jpg

IMG_6487.jpg

IMG_6488.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6491.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg

IMG_6505.jpg

IMG_6506.jpg

IMG_6507.jpg

IMG_6499.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Now here I am at 14,000' and what do I see? My buddy @MountainGoat just hanging around the top of Mt Evans. :shock:?

IMG_6515.jpg

We were hoping to see some mountain goats up there and up by the observatory there were a few hanging out with their baby ones.

IMG_6519.jpg

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6539.jpg

IMG_6540.jpg

IMG_6556.jpg

Then on the drive down I spotted these guys. I think they were looking for my damper. o_O

View recent photos.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sounds like you’re having a great time. Don’t worry about the house - the crew from Servepro has finished up and left. The drywallers will be in on Monday and the painters (not your guys but some kids from College Pro Painters) will have it looking kinda new by the end of the week. The good news is that there’s about $200 in empties in the back yard and there are still 3-1/2 more weeks of Airbnb guests to go - might get that up to $300 by the end of the month. :thumbsup:

Oh, how attached were you and Annie to that sofa?
:facepalm: It's probably better to burn it down and start over.

Buring House.gif

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Wow another destination, thanks Dave!!

I’ve hiked Mt Whitney a couple of times at 14,494 feet but now they say 14,502 feet. Either way I’ve tried describing to my wife how thin the air is. Now I can show her.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Wow another destination, thanks Dave!!

I’ve hiked Mt Whitney a couple of times at 14,494 feet but now they say 14,502 feet. Either way I’ve tried describing to my wife how thin the air is. Now I can show her.
There were a lot of people riding bikes up the hill to the top. Having asthma I give them a lot of credit as the air is very thin and hard to breath up at the top. But surprisingly it didn't bother me as much as I thought it was going to and we were up there for at least an hour. It was cold though and good thing I brought my hoody with me. lol ?

IMG_6571.jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
As you probably know the parks service was underbudgeted for many yrs, I believe they received a large sum - as in billions to begin to address the backlog of projects - IIRC that may have been $90b in backlogged projects. Also their mission is to preserve the parks for future generations. I always stop to chat with the rangers I've encountered and to me they seem to be dedicated, sincere individuals, but some have mentioned the challenges of dealing with the increased visitations. I've encountered irate people that are incensed that they can't find a free place to park, but it's often not a simple process just to build more parking lots, more and more the park service relies on shuttles. The more cars in the park the more pollution - including noise, while on hikes in RMNP one can often hear the roar of packs of Harleys on trail ridge many miles from the road.
One priceless sight I encountered yrs back while hiking on the trail towards Long Peak was young elk sliding down a remaining stretch of snow, watched by elders, they were having a blast.
So true about the park Rangers. I often think about a particular Ranger at Little Bighorn Battlefield National Park. I was a teenager, travelling with my family from Calgary to Denver through Montana and Wyoming. It was a slow day and he gave my family a personal tour of the battlefield, complete with his own, informed narrative. As a member of the Lakota First Nation, his perspective was certainly different than what was displayed on the various plaques in the visitor centre and throughout the park.

I often think of that trip and I’m so glad that Ranger took the time for my family and me that day.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
from the archives - back in 1999 lightning strike got em on mt evans - imagine driving up and seeing this sight

1655598963576.png
Sponsored