Warranty claim denied for whistling window sound: next step?

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Unfortunately, your best bet is to troubleshoot the issue yourself with the advice given by the other posters to this thread.

Regarding the warranty claim, I wonder what would have happened if you had told the service advisor that you were willing to pay for this to be repaired. I’ll bet that they would have had a few ideas as to how to correct this problem. Additionally, the work order would have probably changed from “customer states there is a whistling sound…” to “repaired whistling sound coming from passenger side window…”. This is the problem with warranties and the beloved extended warranty. With the warranty we are really at the mercy of the dealer negotiating the claim with the warranty company – in this case Ford. Worse yet, it is the dealer negotiating to do a job they will get paid less for. Then it really depends on how busy the service department is.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Again....use a mechanics stethoscope with the metal diaphram discarded. You have a very directional device that can pinpoint the leak. I have covered this before several times. Cheap and easy diagnostic tool. Had my wife use mine in our motorhome when new and we had a whistle. When she hit the source, she almost ripped the stethoscope off her ears it was so loud. It is very effective. JMO...

Best,
Phil

Hawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Do the above and if that doesn't work, I have no problem whatsoever parking the vehicle in a location that it blocks their service or sales flow, going inside to the general manager and raising holy hell if nice doesn't work and making sure that every customer in there here's the conversation. Hate to do it but it has worked in other situations. It's to the point that customer service doesn't exist in Ford's (and other's companies' worlds) and I make it my personal vendetta to go this route if I have to.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
A month ago my driver's side window started making a small whistling sound between 30 and 45 mph, somewhere around. It's at the top, near the back but hard to locate, but not sure if door or window issue.
It wasn't there before -- it was dead quiet before at 30 mph.

I took it in for warranty, but they want to return the vehicle in a day (today) saying that it was normal: their tech drove mine, and another vehicle, and said it was the same.
I know mine didn't do that noise before.
Also, the passenger side still doesn't make the noise, kind of invalidating their argument

So my question: do you all have this sound as well?
If not, what should I do next, and/or what are my options?
Probably something as simple as a door/ window gasket or the door needs realignment.
And that is some lazy ass troubleshooting on the tech's part. What if the other vehicle has the same defect? We have heard the same excuse 'others do the same' when it came to excess vibrations.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Can the door be adjusted to shut a little tighter?

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Sport Pack
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
Probably something as simple as a door/ window gasket or the door needs realignment.
And that is some lazy ass troubleshooting on the tech's part. What if the other vehicle has the same defect? We have heard the same excuse 'others do the same' when it came to excess vibrations.
My 2019 Ranger Lariat started making the noise recently. In my case I have traced the noise to the driver side outside mirror. Nothing to do with door gasket or door alignment. Simply folding the mirror inwards seems to eliminate the sound. The next step is finding what in the mirror enables the Whistle Sound.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
My 2019 Ranger Lariat started making the noise recently. In my case I have traced the noise to the driver side outside mirror. Nothing to do with door gasket or door alignment. Simply folding the mirror inwards seems to eliminate the sound. The next step is finding what in the mirror enables the Whistle Sound.
interesting. But mine is certainly the window because I can trace it with the stethoscope...

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Sport Pack
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
interesting. But mine is certainly the window because I can trace it with the stethoscope...
If you were to open the window would the whistling disappear? That is what I did. The whistle noise continued. Did not need a stethoscope.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
If you were to open the window would the whistling disappear? That is what I did. The whistle noise continued. Did not need a stethoscope.
Yes it disappears. As i slightly open the window the noise also /changes as the window opens. i'm sure it's the window :p
Sponsored