Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did the same thing. A soft reset fixed it. Press volume knob and >>.until it resets.
What do you lose with a soft reset? Am I correct, in assuming nothing?

Frank
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What do you lose with a soft reset? Am I correct, in assuming nothing?

Frank
IIRC nothing. I always take a picture of my radio and satellite presets just in case they get wiped out. As I get older I'm starting to get CRS......Can't Remember Sh*t. :crazy:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
The only thing it loses that I can tell is the ambient lighting setting if you have it.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mine did the same thing. A soft reset fixed it. Press volume knob and >>.until it resets.
Sounded good to me but it did not work.
Thanks!

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
I'm in the same boat....the map seemed to load fine but no voice commands. My bad as I shut the truck down at 1:50 minutes into the update. I can live without the voice commands (and I will do so it it means reload 2.21). But it seems like I'm just missing the 422 file.

I'm brain farting on how to modify the install script...hopefully someone who has sucessfully done this could show me the way...
When I lost voice commands after the previous map update, I had to do a hard reset (in the menu) to restore them. A soft reset did not work. You lose your saved destinations among other things, with a hard reset.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I'm in the same boat....the map seemed to load fine but no voice commands. My bad as I shut the truck down at 1:50 minutes into the update. I can live without the voice commands (and I will do so it it means reload 2.21). But it seems like I'm just missing the 422 file.

I'm brain farting on how to modify the install script...hopefully someone who has sucessfully done this could show me the way...
When this happened to me on an older update, I just re-ran the entire map update and then everything worked. The key is waiting until it is completely finished as the voice commands are the last thing installed.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think I'm there...

I downloaded the 424 package UofM linked to earlier in this thread (post 89).
I put that in the SyncMy Ride folder (discarding all of the other update files).
I opened the autoinstall file using notepad, modified it as shown in the picture, and then saved it (this did not change the file extension).
Then I pluged in the USB and it went to updating system software almost immediately. 20 minutes (roughly) later it popped up with a screen saying everything went fine, restart, yada yada, and I had to dismiss it.
Crap, the IVSU screen did not show any change.
I did a Soft Reset (thanks Rp930). The IVSU screen is shown in the 2nd picture....:)

Autoinstall.jpg

IVSU.jpg

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think I'm there...

I downloaded the 424 package UofM linked to earlier in this thread (post 89).
I put that in the SyncMy Ride folder (discarding all of the other update files).
I opened the autoinstall file using notepad, modified it as shown in the picture, and then saved it (this did not change the file extension).
Then I pluged in the USB and it went to updating system software almost immediately. 20 minutes (roughly) later it popped up with a screen saying everything went fine, restart, yada yada, and I had to dismiss it.
Crap, the IVSU screen did not show any change.
I did a Soft Reset (thanks Rp930). The IVSU screen is shown in the 2nd picture....:)

Autoinstall.jpg

IVSU.jpg

Not there yet...the system does not list any navigation commands. I wonder if a master rest would fix this??

Last edited:

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not there yet...the system does not list any navigation commands. I wonder if a master rest would fix this??
I finally got around to a Master Reset.....it worked...and I've verified voices commands work....:) :)

Thanks again to UofMEngineer for the link and for the help!

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
One last twist to the story....
After the Master Reset I setup the network and auto updates and it is now downloading
4U5T-14G422-CAJ

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!
I apologize in advance for reviving this old thread.

Yesterday was the first time since I've owned the Ranger that I tried to use voice commands for navigation. (They work fine for the phone). I get a verbal error message that THIS FEATURE IS UNAVAILABLE AT THIS TIME & THAT I NEED TO COMPLETE A MAP UPDATE.

I dropped by 3 dealers to ask what needs to be done. The first guy said they needed to have the vehicle and connect to mother Ford to fix it. The second place checked the setting and wanted to disconnect the battery, and the third said that there is a free 1 year "trial" and after that you have to subscribe to something to make that feature work.

So today I called the 800 number for Ford and spoke with some gal that was obviously working out of her house (screaming kids in the background). She walked me through several different types of resets which basically deleted all the personal settings. Still nothing. Finally she said I needed to buy the latest map update.

Well, I have NA222 maps and Sync version 3.4.23188 so I am not sure what I would gain by spending $40 buck to purchase the map I already have.

Originally the ESN numbers on the radio head didn't match the numbers on the Ford Web site. I had to get that corrected by having the dealer connect the vehicle to the Ford Mother Ship. Then about 2 months ago I had to take it back and have the dealer update SYNC. The web site would not allow me to do it.

Am I missing a setting somewhere, or is the software messed up or???

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I apologize in advance for reviving this old thread.

Yesterday was the first time since I've owned the Ranger that I tried to use voice commands for navigation. (They work fine for the phone). I get a verbal error message that THIS FEATURE IS UNAVAILABLE AT THIS TIME & THAT I NEED TO COMPLETE A MAP UPDATE.

I dropped by 3 dealers to ask what needs to be done. The first guy said they needed to have the vehicle and connect to mother Ford to fix it. The second place checked the setting and wanted to disconnect the battery, and the third said that there is a free 1 year "trial" and after that you have to subscribe to something to make that feature work.

So today I called the 800 number for Ford and spoke with some gal that was obviously working out of her house (screaming kids in the background). She walked me through several different types of resets which basically deleted all the personal settings. Still nothing. Finally she said I needed to buy the latest map update.

Well, I have NA222 maps and Sync version 3.4.23188 so I am not sure what I would gain by spending $40 buck to purchase the map I already have.

Originally the ESN numbers on the radio head didn't match the numbers on the Ford Web site. I had to get that corrected by having the dealer connect the vehicle to the Ford Mother Ship. Then about 2 months ago I had to take it back and have the dealer update SYNC. The web site would not allow me to do it.

Am I missing a setting somewhere, or is the software messed up or???
I have seen this happen when the USB for a map update is removed too soon. If you had previously downloaded the map update, then you should be able to rerun that same one. If you donā€™t have the files anymore but have the original order confirmation email, there is a link in that email that allows you to redownload without having to pay the $40. The voice commands for nav are the last thing to get installed during a map update.

If you do decide to rerun the USB update, do not remove the USB until after the final automatic restart and the system stays on the ā€˜completedā€™ message without restarting again.

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!
I have seen this happen when the USB for a map update is removed too soon. If you had previously downloaded the map update, then you should be able to rerun that same one. If you donā€™t have the files anymore but have the original order confirmation email, there is a link in that email that allows you to redownload without having to pay the $40. The voice commands for nav are the last thing to get installed during a map update.

If you do decide to rerun the USB update, do not remove the USB until after the final automatic restart and the system stays on the ā€˜completedā€™ message without restarting again.

Thanks you for the reply. I did take the thumb drive back out and let it "reinstall" the map updates. I waited to make 100% sure that it was done. I tested the voice command for the navigation.........and got the same verbal error message. SO I said to myself screw it. About an hour later I hopped back in the Ranger to go visit the GMC dealer and decided to give it one more try, and SURPRISE everything is working like it is supposed to!

Thanks again for your advice.
Sponsored

Last edited: