Vibration at take off

buster

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
new guy here, sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I didn't spend a lot of time looking.

Bought my Lariat FX4 back in mid-January. Still crazy about the looks, and many other cool things but...Mine had a serious shimmy when applying the brakes. I caught it during test drive, and new it would be resolved so I bought it. Service department said it was because they were self adjusting, and had not seated yet lol..I knew better, and a few days later they trued the rotors and got 80% of the shimmy out.

The REAL problem is at take off. Between 1600 - 1800 rpm there is a vibration that drives me nuts. I know the engine is probably thrashing about under the hood because it sounds like an old VW bug. That's how a passenger described it lol. Well the service department couldn't feel it, but I think looking for the problem wrong. But, it vibrates enough that when you are in that rpm window you can hear the back seat backrest (that still wont latch after they "fixed" it) vibrating against the latch point. You can also hear the backrest vibrate when braking, hence the brake shimmy not entirely fixed.

Years ago I would have thought the drive shaft not balanced, or transmission mount bad, it is that sort of vibration. I also know how a motor can shake when timing is off, maybe ignition timing?

I keep hoping others are experiencing this but have not seen any yet, I want it fixed, and want to love my new truck!

Anyone else have ill fitting upholstery? Mine seats are wrinkly. Driver's side is bubbling up at the seat bottom. But, I am a little biased here, I work at a plant that manufactures seats for automotive. My seats would have never left our building.

So thanks for any direction!
Sponsored

ulev1st

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC FX4 ,2012 F250 Lariat FX4, 2017 Shelby GT350, 14 Ford Focus
Occupation
Retire Marine and Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I have the takeoff vibration.. I just figured it was a quirk in the transmission. my pass side seat bottom has a wrinkle in it too..

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Ford Explorer, 1977 BMW R100/7

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I have a 2017 Fusion with Eco 2.0 i have 60k miles and it’s always had the vibration at takeoff. I was told it’s the wastegate by the service dept and nothing wrong. Maybe you can google ecoboost wastegate and see if that’s your issue.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Even with 45psi haven't noticed a thing. 31psi drives great, the only time I've had shimmy not this truck was do to out of balance wheels and tires and front end alignment.

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt fx4 and a 2018 Ford f 150 xlt fx4
The seat latch thing is just readjust mechanism with your finger .. as to the shimmy .. that’s a problem .. mine don’t shimmy tires set at 40 psi .. I take off hard sometimes .. no shimmy .. yes that engine roars at take off it’s kinda weird .. .

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I had that vibration when the transmission is under load and the engine is at low rpm, sort of like the transmission is trying to downshift but cant. Usually occurred when starting up a hill at low speeds, like in a neighborhood or something when I am super soft on the throttle. I now know that when I come to a hill at low speed I need to give it a little extra or tap the gas to get the transmission into a lower gear.

I used to have a similar thing happen when accelerating around 90 degree corners such as a right turn at a stop light but that has gone away. Apparently the computer "learns" the driver's habits and adjusts the engine and transmission accordingly. Plus now that I am at about 900 miles things seem to be bedding-in and mellowing out.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
new guy here, sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I didn't spend a lot of time looking.

Bought my Lariat FX4 back in mid-January. Still crazy about the looks, and many other cool things but...Mine had a serious shimmy when applying the brakes. I caught it during test drive, and new it would be resolved so I bought it. Service department said it was because they were self adjusting, and had not seated yet lol..I knew better, and a few days later they trued the rotors and got 80% of the shimmy out.

The REAL problem is at take off. Between 1600 - 1800 rpm there is a vibration that drives me nuts. I know the engine is probably thrashing about under the hood because it sounds like an old VW bug. That's how a passenger described it lol. Well the service department couldn't feel it, but I think looking for the problem wrong. But, it vibrates enough that when you are in that rpm window you can hear the back seat backrest (that still wont latch after they "fixed" it) vibrating against the latch point. You can also hear the backrest vibrate when braking, hence the brake shimmy not entirely fixed.

Years ago I would have thought the drive shaft not balanced, or transmission mount bad, it is that sort of vibration. I also know how a motor can shake when timing is off, maybe ignition timing?

I keep hoping others are experiencing this but have not seen any yet, I want it fixed, and want to love my new truck!

Anyone else have ill fitting upholstery? Mine seats are wrinkly. Driver's side is bubbling up at the seat bottom. But, I am a little biased here, I work at a plant that manufactures seats for automotive. My seats would have never left our building.

So thanks for any direction!
I have I believe duplicated your problem but the only way I could do it was to not turn off start stop.

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I am at 1200 miles now and have aired down the tires to 30 all around. Also using 92 gas. All those things combined seem to have cut the vibration down to about 25% of what it used to be but it is definitely still there. SuperCrew Lariat FX4 here as well. The transmission just feels like it can't make up it's mind what it wants to do and still slogs down in too high of a gear when going up hills. Now I know to just double tap the gas up hills to get a lower gear. I had the same problem with my Subaru, that little 4 banger did NOT like low RPMs going up hills.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
thx! I will try this. its very annoying
Yes, I think it's the start/stop shutter when it re-starts. I felt a little shutter when removing my foot from the brake and then pressing on the gas. Notice the RPM was zero and then increased when wanting to take off.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I've noted it on take off. Start stop is always disabled, so I know it's not that

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I've noted it on take off. Start stop is always disabled, so I know it's not that
Hmm, I haven't noticed it on mine at all.

Crismac

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT, 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Railroad Conductor
I'm with MT19, the only time I have had a vibration at takeoff is when the auto stop starts and at night the lights flicker a little. Never had it at any other time.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I had that vibration when the transmission is under load and the engine is at low rpm, sort of like the transmission is trying to downshift but cant. Usually occurred when starting up a hill at low speeds, like in a neighborhood or something when I am super soft on the throttle. I now know that when I come to a hill at low speed I need to give it a little extra or tap the gas to get the transmission into a lower gear.

I used to have a similar thing happen when accelerating around 90 degree corners such as a right turn at a stop light but that has gone away. Apparently the computer "learns" the driver's habits and adjusts the engine and transmission accordingly. Plus now that I am at about 900 miles things seem to be bedding-in and mellowing out.
I've noticed the same issue about the vibration from the trans under load in low rpms
Sponsored