First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I put it on an my mileage went down.....looks like I had a bad tank of gas though. I got 20.0 on that tank but since filling up this morning a driving a little it well above that already. We may have already switched to the winter blend too an that will lower mpg's. I'll post up after this tank.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I put it on an my mileage went down.....looks like I had a bad tank of gas though. I got 20.0 on that tank but since filling up this morning a driving a little it well above that already. We may have already switched to the winter blend too an that will lower mpg's. I'll post up after this tank.
Does winter blend up the percentage of ethanol? Is that what RVP is? Then I'd expect MPG to suffer.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2013/06/what-is-the-difference-between-summer-and-winter-blend-gasoline/#:~:text=Winter-blend fuel has a,when the engine is cold.

'The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer.'

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
every winter my fusion lost about 2 mpg. I bought my Ranger in the winter an when it warmed up mileage went up about 4 mpg on avg. I have a 91/93 tune in so I'm wondering if maybe the drop off won't be quite as much if I drive it easy.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Bummer. Winter gas? If you were going to see improvement it would be right away from my experience.

Just got my updated tune from Torrie. I have a couple days to test this one, supposedly softened shifts and should stop the P0068 code. I've already changed the base settings in Engineering Mode to get the computer close to accurate MPGs but still check manually.
What were the issues you were having with the tune that you needed the revision for? Just curious.

I’m in NE Pa so maybe we have winter gas here already...not sure.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
What were the issues you were having with the tune that you needed the revision for? Just curious.

I’m in NE Pa so maybe we have winter gas here already...not sure.
I'm in South Florida where it rarely gets below 40Β° F so my gas should be consistent? Where and when the formulas change - and how that might affect tunes is an unknown to me.

I'm finding all kinds of data. To keep on topic I can't say how this might affect the presumed benefits of the Big Mouth.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=11031

The tweak to the tune was a response to a hopefully unrelated issue I had and reported a couple pages back. Also made a new post in this sub. Some mods will cause the engine computer to freak out and throw codes - then impair the engine performance presumably to protect it.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Here's the view of the prototype installed (from the front) - not the colors I'd choose, but... keep in mind the cowl cover for the intercooler/oil cooler/radiator has to be removed to bolt it on, so I can't show all that. You can see some of the other color options for cars at
https://www.velossatechdesign.com/
IMG_20200911_160558176_HDR.jpg
Looks like it was 3d printed.

Makes me wonder how many of these performance parts we could be 3d printing ourselves.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
After I received my unit, I brought it to work to let our resident 3D Printing expert check it out. He commented that it was quite well designed and that it was epoxy coated post-printing. This epoxy coating is critical for being exposed to the weather, as getting wet and freezing would separate the Z-Axis layers.

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
After I received my unit, I brought it to work to let our resident 3D Printing expert check it out. He commented that it was quite well designed and that it was epoxy coated post-printing. This epoxy coating is critical for being exposed to the weather, as getting wet and freezing would separate the Z-Axis layers.
The process they did while getting measurements for design was crazy. We went through a few variations of this before ending up to where it was such an easy install and utilizing factory mounting points. And it's not an epoxy coating. I was sworn to secrecy but the process to get it from 3D print to final product was pretty cool.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I installed the aFe intake horn when my gas tank was half full - I had filled last in late September and even took off the Unleashed tune while Torrie tweaked some things. When I gassed up, I had calculated my mileage and was mildly bummed my average went down a smidge, though still better than pre-Big Mouth. I speculated on other's posts that winter blend fuel might give them worse mileage, but certainly we don't get that here in South Florida? Turns out we do.

https://www.convenience.org/Media/D...tes-Waive-RVP-Rules-for-Winter-Blend-Fuels_GR

Guess when that started? September 15th. That was about a year after I bought the truck. The detail was in this article I posted above: 'Pump prices typically decline during this time of year due to lower driving demand after the busy summer driving season has concluded and the changeover from summer-blend to a cheaper-to-produce winter-blend gasoline, which takes place in many parts of the country starting on September 15.'

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/09/switch-winter-blend-gasoline-means-cheaper-prices-pump/#:~:text=Pump prices typically decline during,country starting on September 15.

When do we get back to 'Summer Blends'? May 1st. Except this year was odd.

'Typically U.S. fuel dealers are required to stop selling winter-grade gasoline on May 1 as summer anti-smog standards come into play.'

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...s-extends-biofuel-deadline-to-help-refineries

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was bummed I was averaging 20-21.5 after the install. then I saw they switched to winter blend an this was a lot better than I was getting last winter, which was under 19. It warmed up here 20 degrees the last few days an now I'm up over 23, which is great for winter blend.... If I get 1 mpg that will pay for it over time. If it doesn't do anything it wasn't that much cash. next summer I'll get a better idea

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I was bummed I was averaging 20-21.5 after the install. then I saw they switched to winter blend an this was a lot better than I was getting last winter, which was under 19. It warmed up here 20 degrees the last few days an now I'm up over 23, which is great for winter blend.... If I get 1 mpg that will pay for it over time. If it doesn't do anything it wasn't that much cash. next summer I'll get a better idea
At this point due to the actual release dates of the VT Big Mouth (and the aFe Magnum) and the corresponding national switch to lower efficiency Winter blend gas it seems we can't validate improvements unless you start averaging gas mileage from after mid-September (new fuel formulation) as a base line first. Come May when everything switches back everyone will 'magically' get better efficiency.

Right now I'm taking just over half a MPG per gallon 'hit' in the last month.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I got the big mouth and the AFE intake horn installed. I drive about 200 miles yesterday over a route I commonly drive and I got 21.2 mpg. That is about 2 mpg better than I have ever gotten on that route since I started modifying my truck. It was warmer yesterday too. So it wasn’t just cooler weather. I am still skeptical but that is what I experienced yesterday.
Hi Jim,

This is a great data point...include a few parameters as to Temp etc and keep driving this route and you will have developed a data set. Then more importantly the information contained in the data that allows the forum members to draw the conclusions contained in the data. This will help to assess if these big mouth intakes have any real advantage. Right now you have developed a data point. Two data points create a line and multi-points create a curve from which conclusions can be made. 2mpg is quite a significant change.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Right. That is a 10 percent difference. I am still quite skeptical.
I will be interested to see what you find out. Even if 5% were realistic, it is worth the money - it will pay for itself eventually. It just seems odd that improving the intake would make THAT much difference in MPG.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I just towed a loaded 5x8 U Haul 540 miles using winter gas. I had taken the Unleashed tune off just in case. Mostly around 70 MPH but the Ranger felt just as good at 77 MPH as it did at 70 so I lost track of what averages were. Typical me. on board computer says 18.2 MPG average, first hand calc was mid 16-ish and I didn't bother after that. My previous best computer steady display was 26-point-something but that was my wife driving over the summer and not towing anything.

If I try to emulate her driving home we'll see. It's hard not to assert yourself in highway traffic when you have the power to 'negotiate' your position and you've got places to be.

As far as tracking mileage over the long term, I keep trying to be skeptical as well. It's difficult to precisely quantify but at this point I feel confident there is a net benefit. Will this accessory pay for itself? I suppose so, quicker if there is a lot of highway driving involved.

Is there a performance benefit? At the speeds I'm guessing it contributes it seems reasonable but I have no idea how to measure that and what real world benefit there is going to be.

Does it look cool? Well, that is totally a personal perception. I'd say if you dropped $$$ on a fancy intake system that can't be seen from the outside of the rtuck you'd definately want this... and it might make your expensive upgrade work better.
Sponsored

Last edited: