Velossa Tech Design Big Mouth for 2019+ Ranger

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
What you're seeing in part the hot air being recirculating from the bypass valve working it's way to the air box. It doesn't take me anywhere near 15 mins of driving at 70 to lower the air box temp for me.
Also should clarify I’m logging 15min of 70mph to fully cool down to actual ambient temps after heat soak. Absolutely the airbox cools when driving city vs idling but the IAT doesn’t get anywhere near (meaning within 3 deg F) of ambient which is my goal. Looking for the coldest IAT reading possible all the time regardless of condition to achieve max power.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
NGauge. I monitor ambient, airbox and intake.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
i just installed this thing some helpful notes for the XLT grille. i used a 5mm Hex 1/4" socket to insert the new supplied bolts with a 14" extension through the grille i had to hold the bit with a pair of hemostats then insert my extension through the grille and connect them together. Probably not a problem with the lariat grille.

T 30 to remove the torx bolts on the airbox intake. 8 mm socket to remove the 2 stock bolts. i hand started everything and just snugged them up used a small flat blade screwdriver to remove the pop clips on the cover just worked slowly and carefully not to mar the plastic up.

ROOK

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2017 BMW 230 I convertible
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the post Jay, nice information on this. I am looking at this and trying to get a better idea of it.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
aFe just
would like to the see the air/fuel numbers with this thing. its got to be introducing a excalibrated lean cruise condition on the PCM to get 2 MPG
After about 600+ miles with the Big Mouth mine threw a code and went into 'limp mode.' It was about 15 miles after filling up and I was sure I had gotten bad gas, so I took off the tune and confidently took it to my Ford dealer to confirm that.

After a couple days they decided the UPR catch can connection at the manifold wasn't hooked up securely (I say BS because it had been on for a year by then without issue - the guys from UPR had even helped hook it up) and the code indicated the airflow that was measured wasn't what was 'expected' (I don't have the specific code # at my fingertips right now) so they claim to have connected the vacuum line and reset the computer - charging me two hours shop time. Ouch.

I can't believe the VelossaTech would have triggered this - if it were possible I'd be reading about anyone else who upgraded any part of their intakes to experience the same thing.

If it happens again ill just reset my codes using the SCT BDX. I may pull another reading and send it to Unleashed to see if Torrie sees a need to tweak the tune. Most likely after swapping out the aFe horn.

But I really don't buy that the VelossaTech accessory could potentially cause this or that the catch can vacuum line was loose. I had at least 900 miles on the second vacuum line for it and that was tight.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
aFe just

After about 600+ miles with the Big Mouth mine threw a code and went into 'limp mode.' It was about 15 miles after filling up and I was sure I had gotten bad gas, so I took off the tune and confidently took it to my Ford dealer to confirm that.

After a couple days they decided the UPR catch can connection at the manifold wasn't hooked up securely (I say BS because it had been on for a year by then without issue - the guys from UPR had even helped hook it up) and the code indicated the airflow that was measured wasn't what was 'expected' (I don't have the specific code # at my fingertips right now) so they claim to have connected the vacuum line and reset the computer - charging me two hours shop time. Ouch.

I can't believe the VelossaTech would have triggered this - if it were possible I'd be reading about anyone else who upgraded any part of their intakes to experience the same thing.

If it happens again ill just reset my codes using the SCT BDX. I may pull another reading and send it to Unleashed to see if Torrie sees a need to tweak the tune. Most likely after swapping out the aFe horn.

But I really don't buy that the VelossaTech accessory could potentially cause this or that the catch can vacuum line was loose. I had at least 900 miles on the second vacuum line for it and that was tight.
I've had mine on for about a week now with no codes, issues or increase in MPG (haha). I can't image it would cause a code.

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
aFe just

I had mine on for months in prototype. Zero codes or issues....weird

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
There is no way the velossa would cause a code it’s using the same air inlet as stock it’s just helping to funnel the air into the box a little better, the engine is only going to ingest the amount of air it needs . so ran it today biggest thing I’ve noticed is the surging on full throttle acceleration is gone it’s pretty damn smooth now. I didn’t do any mpg calculation any justice testing it full bore though so I can’t comment on that yet.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Dan called me yesterday, he said someone who had purchased one for their 2020 Ranger was having difficulty installing it and he was wondering if there had been a change in the trucks? I can't imagine that. He's not on the forum but I sent him the links. He was telling me about their new Mustang intakes, sent a pic:
mustang.jpg

Shomare

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Union President
Just received mine yesterday, Raptor grill, it took about 20 minutes to install. The left hand screw is easy to reach and remove to begin the install but a little tricky installing. A long T handled Allen wrench did the trick.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Just received mine yesterday, Raptor grill, it took about 20 minutes to install. The left hand screw is easy to reach and remove to begin the install but a little tricky installing. A long T handled Allen wrench did the trick.
Which Raptor grill? I know there are a few manufacturers and they are subtlety different.

Velossa Tech was looking for customer pictures.

Shomare

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Union President
Which Raptor grill? I know there are a few manufacturers and they are subtlety different.

Velossa Tech was looking for customer pictures.
I bought mine through the truck accessories guy formally Toyota guy