Using parts backorder issues as "buyer bargaining leverage"

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I gotta say, after joining this site and reading around here about typical issues and the like.. its (ever so slightly) dampened my spirits about buying a new Ranger.

The problem with nationwide indefinite backorder on parts is my biggest concern.

Id like to hopefully use this as leverage when I'm at the dealership.. it seems like a reasonable concern.

My question is, exactly HOW big of a problem is this? Seems pretty serious from what I've read, mostly concerning alternators?

What all else is really backed up? Is this idea of mine worth attempting? If it's a hot enough selling truck, and the dealer knows this.. which they would.. id think it wouldn't have much affect. The "average" buyer doesn't do this sort of poking around when purchasing a vehicle (stupid)... they just go to the dealer and say "hmmm... i like THAT one" and fork over 30k dollars lol.

I put? Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
since i am an average buyer, and don't sweat things out of my control, like parts on backorder that i may never need to worry about, and you just called me stupid....i think we all know we are done here..........
Don't frown over the opinion of some jerk you don't know.

I'm personally just not the type of person who blindly dives in to a commitment as large as this, i don't think that's smart. Putting forth a little due diligence before purchasing a vehicle new OR used IS.

its always a good idea to be prepared right?

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Don't frown over the opinion of some jerk you don't know.

I'm personally just not the type of person who blindly dives in to a commitment as large as this, i don't think that's smart. Putting forth a little due diligence before purchasing a vehicle new OR used IS.

My motto as well, be prepared for the worst but hope for the best.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I gotta say, after joining this site and reading around here about typical issues and the like.. its (ever so slightly) dampened my spirits about buying a new Ranger.

The problem with nationwide indefinite backorder on parts is my biggest concern.

Id like to hopefully use this as leverage when I'm at the dealership.. it seems like a reasonable concern.

My question is, exactly HOW big of a problem is this? Seems pretty serious from what I've read, mostly concerning alternators?

What all else is really backed up? Is this idea of mine worth attempting? If it's a hot enough selling truck, and the dealer knows this.. which they would.. id think it wouldn't have much affect. The "average" buyer doesn't do this sort of poking around when purchasing a vehicle (stupid)... they just go to the dealer and say "hmmm... i like THAT one" and fork over 30k dollars lol.

I put? Thanks!
I can appreciate the concern, but I'm not sure how you envision using this as leverage.

Dealer: Price is $X, take it or leave it.
Buyer: But some parts are on back order, so you have to come down more.
Dealer: They included all the parts when they built it at the factory.
Buyer: But what if I need to replace the alternator?
Dealer: They use brand new alternators in the factory.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

I think what everyone is trying to say is. This is a global issue affecting everyone in every industry. Most auto dealers have gone to a non-negotiable pricing structure. The only negotiable part may be your trade-in. I got then to give me top Blue Book on my 2011 Ranger because it was low milage and great shape. The current supply chain issues will give you no special negotiating leverage.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It isn't just Ford or the Ranger, it's world wide ripple effects from covid, plants close for good or for cleaning or for lack of parts etc.
"Covid delays" are nothing but a copout. Especially in the auto industry which has been deemed essential virtually everywhere.

My employer has seen an increase in business over the last year. By 30%-50%. We've managed to stay on time through all this. There's nothing special about us.

I think some people are enjoying their Coronacation too much.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
In reality any big ticket item purchased these days is going to be no different. Your at the mercy of luck. Demand and supply is your only bargaining chip. If lots are on the lot it could be your lucky day. If not, well how bad do you want it?

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
You know, I'm 70+ years old, have probably owned 100 different vehicles, have owned 30 (as of my current Ranger) Fords that came from the same dealer and have needed one alternator total and it was on an 81 Volvo with about 10k miles on it. Am I concerned, not in the least but to each his own........

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I put? Thanks!
Hi Bimpkn,

I read you post and decided to ponder your strategy. Do you think the salesman is in his first rodeo? Really question what you wished to gain from this post. Affirmation of your strategy? Best to join the Mustang group and get an X plan where the cards at the dealer are face up. Dealer shows the invoice...below the dealer price is a box called X plan and that is the price you pay. Part availability to my opinion at the dealer salesman's desk will only produce an eye roll. :rolleyes:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Interesting. If you're buying a vehicle based on the possibility that you may need a repair, that might possibly have a backordered part, then you're better off buying a vehicle that's been out for a several years. Maybe look at the Frontier. It hasn't changed in over a decade, so probably good parts availability.
Sponsored