Upper Control Arms for Cast Iron Spindles

avi8tornx211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
https://www.kchilites.com/kc-m-rack...crew-50-gravity-led-pro6-roof-rack-92244.html

They don't really sell it how i originally bought it... With the curved light bar and side lights) also out of stock for some time. Be aware: from what i hear they are known to send out wrong parts. I was going to put it in myself but with my better judgement and lack of time had APG do it. You have to remove A+B pillars, seatbelts, drop the headliner and avoid puncturing the side curtain airbags... Use rivet nuts or something like that which you need to know how to use. Not sure how to fully explain it's a um 81tch! And it cost a lot of money to install (correctly). Good thing i did because they sent the wrong size rack which would of confused the hell out of me and had to send pictures, proof, etc which is annoying to have them send the right ???.

I love it! Would i do it again, maybe... Love that it offers a ton of light!!! And since it was put together well it's solid! Prinsu makes a cool rack but not for the ranger, yet...

Ok maybe i would have gone with a different MOD for that price. Another picture of the inside setup.

16126560490684578492612718638210.jpg
Sponsored

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
https://www.kchilites.com/kc-m-rack...crew-50-gravity-led-pro6-roof-rack-92244.html

They don't really sell it how i originally bought it... With the curved light bar and side lights) also out of stock for some time. Be aware: from what i hear they are known to send out wrong parts. I was going to put it in myself but with my better judgement and lack of time had APG do it. You have to remove A+B pillars, seatbelts, drop the headliner and avoid puncturing the side curtain airbags... Use rivet nuts or something like that which you need to know how to use. Not sure how to fully explain it's a um 81tch! And it cost a lot of money to install (correctly). Good thing i did because they sent the wrong size rack which would of confused the hell out of me and had to send pictures, proof, etc which is annoying to have them send the right ???.

I love it! Would i do it again, maybe... Love that it offers a ton of light!!! And since it was put together well it's solid! Prinsu makes a cool rack but not for the ranger, yet...

Ok maybe i would have gone with a different MOD for that price. Another picture of the inside setup.

16126560490684578492612718638210.jpg
On the contrary, Prinsu has had a Ranger rack out for a few months now. Thatā€™s likely what Iā€™ll be going with.

avi8tornx211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
On the contrary, Prinsu has had a Ranger rack out for a few months now. Thatā€™s likely what Iā€™ll be going with.
Nice! I would definitely. You will have to post pictures. They have a good design. For instance you can slide screws into the rack rails to mount cargo boxes etc vs KC you have to take the rail off/apart. Also will probably make less wind noise.

Turbofish

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Construction Manager
BDS also confirmed with me today that they don't have an offering for the steel spindles either. APG or bust for the time being.
From the video on FB, it seems like itā€™s just a ball joint fitment issue. BDS says they use a moog ball joint. I canā€™t find any moog ball joints for 2019 or 2020 on moogā€™s website. I wonder if itā€™s possible to just swap the ball joint.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
From the video on FB, it seems like itā€™s just a ball joint fitment issue. BDS says they use a moog ball joint. I canā€™t find any moog ball joints for 2019 or 2020 on moogā€™s website. I wonder if itā€™s possible to just swap the ball joint.
Once you pop a ball joint its replacement should be an oversized one. Or, if you have access to a lathe apply light straight knurl a OEM one and your good to go

MTBranger

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4, 1994 Miata K-swap
Occupation
Design Engineer/ Racecars
Does this confirm that the taper is actually different for the cast steel spindles? Or is the angle of the taper still the same, but just the depth is less on the steel spindles?
the taper angle and also the start and finish diameters are different. Overall length is the same, so they just need to turn some taper adapters with the right taper. If they outsource their CNC work they just need to send a drawing out and get a batch made. ?ā€ā™‚

Grimm got back to me and said they were working on it but had no timeline of when they would get to it or have it released and to just return their product to Stage3.

Turbofish

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Construction Manager
SVC replied to my email. Seemed like they were unaware of the changes Ford made midway in 2020. They said they already require drilling out the aluminum spindle so they are confident that their UCA will work for cast iron. Unfortunately Iā€™m not willing to drill out my spindles. So if someone else is willing Iā€™m just offering the information Iā€™ve been given.

OP
OP
jstokello

jstokello

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Camburg's upper control arms now include a second uniball spacer with a different taper for the black cast spindles. So if your not looking for APG's full billet UCA's, Camburg's are a bit cheaper.

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
FFS. I thought they were all aluminum and I just went out and saw mine are steel and already have some rust. Damn. Gonna have to find me some aluminum ones now. Plus UCA.

madtrixter

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Sitting at my dealer for an oil change right now. Every 2021 on my local lot has the cast knuckles. Maybe the aftermarket will take note and we can have some arms in the not too distant future.

Thesspirate

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 STX Ranger, '07 XL Regular Cab 5spd Ranger,
Occupation
Graphic Designer
I ordered Grimm UCAs from Stage 3 and saw this thread this morning, went out and checked and I have the steel spindles.... of course my order just shipped from Stage 3 this morning, no big deal. Luckily Camburg now ships their UCAs with both sets of lower ball joint spacers for the two different spindles, so those will be on the way soon.

Glad I figured this out before I had the truck torn apart and realized the Grimm ones didn't fit. That would have sucked.

avi8tornx211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Once you get it installed it makes other accessories easier/cheaper to hook-up since the wires are already ran and under the hood. Plan accordingly as power output vary based on each button.
Sponsored