Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Hello,

First time posting to this forum. I've found a lot of useful information in the short time I've been here, so thank you for that! I recently purchased some grimm racing uniball upper control arms for my 2020 ranger. Come to find out they don't fit rangers with cast iron spindles. After doing some research it appears no company makes UCA's for cast irons spindles on the 2019+ Ford Rangers. I was wondering if anyone on here knows of a company that makes UCA's for cast iron spindles or if a company is working on it? I contacted Stage 3 where I bought them, asking if they had any info. They responded saying they didn't know of any in the works.
Sponsored

MTBranger

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4, 1994 Miata K-swap
Occupation
Design Engineer/ Racecars
I bought Grimm Off road arms a few weeks ago not realizing they changed spindles either. I took measurements this weekend and sent it to Grimm so they could make the taper adapter for steel arms based off the stock ball joint and their design ( I'm a mech engineer, used to be in auto/racing industry). They never got back to me this week.

OP
OP
jstokello

jstokello

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supply Chain
I bought Grimm Off road arms a few weeks ago not realizing they changed spindles either. I took measurements this weekend and sent it to Grimm so they could make the taper adapter for steel arms based off the stock ball joint and their design ( I'm a mech engineer, used to be in auto/racing industry). They never got back to me this week.
Hopefully they are working on something based off your measurements, or already have something in the works. I emailed grimm to see if they had a different stud that would work, but haven't heard anything back. I installed mine and didn't realize the stud was the wrong size until I accidentally threaded the nut past the threads on the stud. It stripped out the nut and I had to cut it to remove it. I'm just using the stock UCA's for now.

Stephen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Logistics
I think I remember APG had a cast or aluminum spindle option, and they still have photos of the UCA on a cast spindle on their website.

https://automotiveperformancegroup....l-billet-upper-control-arms-with-heim-joints/

I just got my Radflo's last week, and am shopping for a UCA as well. However I have the aluminum spindle, and it appears only select builds in '20 had cast spindles. There are a couple threads on the forum for reference

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
I have the same Issue. New front coil overs just sitting until I can figure out the UCAs. I spoke with APG about their products and they do have an option for their billet UCA specifically for the cast spindles. They are pricey, use uni balls, and have adjustable heims. I was looking to get away from the uni ball set ups and go with the delta joint or sealed ball joint because of road salt/corrosion concerns in the winter but I don't see any options for the cast steel spindles.

Icon said they have extra washers included with their UCA to "take up the extra slack" when installing on the cast spindles but I think the actual taper might be different. I have another thread about this and no one has confirmed that they have installed Icons arms with the steel spindles.

OP
OP
jstokello

jstokello

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Yeah I'd like to avoid spending $1,300 dollars on uppers, especially when I only have fox 2.0's. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try the Icon tubular with the delta joint, and just use the washers. I like the idea of not having the exposed uni ball anyway. First, I need to get replacement studs for my Grimm uppers and sell those.

Does anyone know if Ford will continue producing the ranger with cast spindles? I have to imagine companies will need to start making uppers for them at some point if that is the case.

avi8tornx211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
APG is the answer. During my build they found this out and had to machine it inhouse. Took a few extra days; but, in the end glad i went with them. Excellent service and have continued to help out when i need it. Getting the new HD leaf springs installed in a few weeks when my rack gets back from powder coating.

Just be sure to call and specify so you don't order online with the wrong ones.

Or just go all out! The HD tie rods are beefy! ?

https://automotiveperformancegroup.com/product/apg-midrunner-suspension-package/

20210108_170458.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Off topic, but what roof rack is that?

Looks great!

Back on topic, does anyone know if they switched back to aluminum?

Just looked on Stage3 and all of their aftermarket UCAs now have a bold Aluminum Spindles Only disclaimer.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
jstokello

jstokello

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Quick update, I heard back from Grimm and there appears to be nothing in the works right now. However, Chris at Grimm got in contact with Stage 3 where I bought the UCA's from, and they were able to get me a refund. Stoked on the quick responses from both companies.

OP
OP
jstokello

jstokello

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supply Chain
APG is the answer. During my build they found this out and had to machine it inhouse. Took a few extra days; but, in the end glad i went with them. Excellent service and have continued to help out when i need it. Getting the new HD leaf springs installed in a few weeks when my rack gets back from powder coating.

Just be sure to call and specify so you don't order online with the wrong ones.

Or just go all out! The HD tie rods are beefy! ?

https://automotiveperformancegroup.com/product/apg-midrunner-suspension-package/

20210108_170458.jpg
Side note sweet truck, and looks like you're at San O haha.

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Does this confirm that the taper is actually different for the cast steel spindles? Or is the angle of the taper still the same, but just the depth is less on the steel spindles?

OP
OP
jstokello

jstokello

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Does this confirm that the taper is actually different for the cast steel spindles? Or is the angle of the taper still the same, but just the depth is less on the steel spindles?
Stage 3 emailed me and they confirmed that the taper angle is different. They responded "At first we thought it just a spacer issues but a couple days ago Icon confirmed the taper angle is difference also.".

Last edited:

Turbofish

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Construction Manager
Seems like a really good opportunity for someone to come in and offer an UCA in the $800 price range. I was super interested in the delta joint but at this point I’d settle for something else.

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
BDS also confirmed with me today that they don't have an offering for the steel spindles either. APG or bust for the time being.
Sponsored