Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I've been looking around at options at upper control arms for our trucks, mine is 21 model and my spindle is steel (painted black) so it looks like I have less options for Upper control arms to go with my Fox suspension I currently have installed.. It seems like Camburg is one option @ $900 bucks, it seems like Icons wont work, anyone else have options for what I can use?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
I also have a 2021 with the steel spindles...back in April when I did the Icon 2.5 VS extended travel coil over install, the APG Billet UCA's were the only option available at the time...to get full benefit of the extended travel and address any alignment issues and extra stress on the ball joints, I ponied up and spent the extra coin.

The APG UCA's are a very high quality product , the solid milled bushings are machined to extremely tight tolerances, and not having the deflection of urethane bushings ,I find the steering to be very responsive...

The adjustable helm joints are an added bonus , and the sealed uni-ball joint is no maintenance , I like the concept of the Icon Delta joint, but King uses the APG UCA with their suspension packages, easing my concerns of longevity and durability.
View attachment 108879 View attachment 108879
20211110_102911.jpg

20211110_103057.jpg

20211110_103209.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Hotshot-Colton

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tundra
I know SPC has control arms for both aluminum and cast knuckles. I got mine from Hotshot Offroad. A bit cheaper than the other options as well but tried and true on many other trucks.

Hotshot Offroad SPC Upper Control Arms
Appreciate the support! They're great arms, and the ease of adjustability/serviceability is why we promote them! It also helps that SPC offers an aluminum as well as a steel option.

Have you had a chance to get yours installed yet?

OP
OP
Desertranger19

Desertranger19

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the support! They're great arms, and the ease of adjustability/serviceability is why we promote them! It also helps that SPC offers an aluminum as well as a steel option.

Have you had a chance to get yours installed yet?
Have you guys installed them before? Or seen the functionality of them? Durability? It says ball joint style, but how does it compare to say a Camburg arm?

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I did get them installed and had an alignment done. They are very nice build quality, super beefy, I'll let Colton dive into comparing the SPC's to other options and their adjustability. I was ready for the Icon's and waiting for the group buy to go but that's been months waiting and started looking for other options. They should do the trick. They are not billet aluminum so they would compare to other tubular UCA options.

Hotshot-Colton

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tundra
Have you guys installed them before? Or seen the functionality of them? Durability? It says ball joint style, but how does it compare to say a Camburg arm?
Oh yes! Many times! It's the most popular UCA that we sell too. These are a ball-joint arm, but not a uniball like a Camburg arm. A uniball will be stronger when you compare these limit-to-limit which is the primary benefit of a uniball. However, most people (us included) do not lash on our equipment hard enough that we are finding the actual strength limits of our UCAs. Most folks are getting new UCAs to allow them to get their alignment to a happy place after a lift! I will say though... Get a set of SPCs in hand and you'll know that it's a solidly built unit.

We like the SPCs for a couple of reasons. Adjustability and serviceability. They allow for full control of dialing in your alignment specs at a pretty granular level. Additionally, let's say you do break one of the ball joints. You can literally just pull the top nut off of the ball joint setup and swap in a new joint! They also have a grease zerk on top to allow you to make sure they stay happy for a long time. They're also nice and quiet (quite unlike many uniballs).

25665ill.jpg

I did get them installed and had an alignment done. They are very nice build quality, super beefy, I'll let Colton dive into comparing the SPC's to other options and their adjustability. I was ready for the Icon's and waiting for the group buy to go but that's been months waiting and started looking for other options. They should do the trick. They are not billet aluminum so they would compare to other tubular UCA options.
Sounds like they worked out! Good news!

HotShotOffroad

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Derrick here!

I also want to jump in and state from a personal perspective, SPC is the best bang for your buck. I have personally ran these a couple times and loved them. The level adjustability is awesome and I have taken mine both in and Offroad with no issues.

I actually have camburg on my ranger right now. And I’ll be honest they too are great quality and are seemingly the same as the spc. At the time I was looking for UCAs, spc had not released theirs for the steel knuckles. if they would have had them, I would’ve gone with SPC. And would have saved $200! So from a personal opinion; I highly recommend SPC.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I know SPC has control arms for both aluminum and cast knuckles. I got mine from Hotshot Offroad. A bit cheaper than the other options as well but tried and true on many other trucks.

Hotshot Offroad SPC Upper Control Arms
I know this is an old post how is the UCA working so Far? Did you have a lift as well? I'm looking for a better UCA and trying to get some info on what everyone is using.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a 2021 with the steel spindles...back in April when I did the Icon 2.5 VS extended travel coil over install, the APG Billet UCA's were the only option available at the time...to get full benefit of the extended travel and address any alignment issues and extra stress on the ball joints, I ponied up and spent the extra coin.

The APG UCA's are a very high quality product , the solid milled bushings are machined to extremely tight tolerances, and not having the deflection of urethane bushings ,I find the steering to be very responsive...

The adjustable helm joints are an added bonus , and the sealed uni-ball joint is no maintenance , I like the concept of the Icon Delta joint, but King uses the APG UCA with their suspension packages, easing my concerns of longevity and durability.
View attachment 108879 View attachment 108879
20211110_102911.jpg

20211110_103057.jpg

20211110_103209.jpg
I know this is an old post, I'm looking for info on UCAs and saw this post. Do you have an extended travel setup like the APG Rangers on your suspension?
I need to upgrade my UCAs and I'm currently using a 3.5 inch lift with 295 70R17 tires. I had this lift for over 1.5 years.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old thread how is the SPC UCAs? Still doing good? I'm looking into upgrading mine and just looking into the forum for a good UCAs. Thanks for the info in advance.

fORdEGON

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4
Occupation
Excavation Contractor
Ive had great luck with my SPC upper arms. Missed the group buy on the Icons and wasn't feeling like dishing out the cash for the APG so I settled on the SPC to accommodate my steel spindles. Im running Fox 2.5s on all four corners.

Some points I noticed during install:
-The xAxis bushing set up they use is high quality and a good design.
-The ball Joint itself seems to be good quality and is easily greased with the top mounted zerk.
-I took my truck to a dedicated alignment shop that specializes in 4x4. He was able to get camber and caster dead nuts perfect and commented on the ease of adjusting the UCAs and quality of SPC parts in general.

I just ran 2,500 hard miles down the baja with 800+lbs of load on the truck. Zero issues with the SPC arms. I may be removing one leaf from my OME pack and adding some more pre load to the front coils and its nice knowing that the UCAs can be fine tuned again during alignment if need be. I would buy them again.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ive had great luck with my SPC upper arms. Missed the group buy on the Icons and wasn't feeling like dishing out the cash for the APG so I settled on the SPC to accommodate my steel spindles. Im running Fox 2.5s on all four corners.

Some points I noticed during install:
-The xAxis bushing set up they use is high quality and a good design.
-The ball Joint itself seems to be good quality and is easily greased with the top mounted zerk.
-I took my truck to a dedicated alignment shop that specializes in 4x4. He was able to get camber and caster dead nuts perfect and commented on the ease of adjusting the UCAs and quality of SPC parts in general.

I just ran 2,500 hard miles down the baja with 800+lbs of load on the truck. Zero issues with the SPC arms. I may be removing one leaf from my OME pack and adding some more pre load to the front coils and its nice knowing that the UCAs can be fine tuned again during alignment if need be. I would buy them again.
Thanks for this info. This is great information.

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
Sorry I missed this BladeRanger. Fordegon spelled it out well. The Spcs are awesome. I have them paired with Icon coilovers, no complaints at all. I'm only running 265/70/17s at the moment so I don't have the coilovers maxed out. I was holding out for the Icon uca group buy but got antsy and found ended up getting a great deal on the Spcs from hotshotoffroad.com. no regrets at all.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I missed this BladeRanger. Fordegon spelled it out well. The Spcs are awesome. I have them paired with Icon coilovers, no complaints at all. I'm only running 265/70/17s at the moment so I don't have the coilovers maxed out. I was holding out for the Icon uca group buy but got antsy and found ended up getting a great deal on the Spcs from hotshotoffroad.com. no regrets at all.
Thanks for the info. This is helpful!!!
Sponsored