First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Other than alignment is their any other benefit to replacing UCAs? I see a lot of them mention increased travel. Is this not something we might want in an off road situation? Just curious as I am very much an amateur on this stuff.
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Other than alignment is their any other benefit to replacing UCAs? I see a lot of them mention increased travel. Is this not something we might want in an off road situation? Just curious as I am very much an amateur on this stuff.
Upper control arms alone won't help increase travel on these trucks, but they will help if you're modifying the other parts of the truck that limit it.

They'll also add a bit more strength to your front suspension if you're doing a lot of really rough trails - Though I can say I've never had a problem with stock ones, and I push my truck pretty hard.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Something to keep in mind, if you are only lifting the front by 1-2 inches you most likely will not need the upper control arms. How did I come to this conclusion you ask? I have the Old Man EMU Lift wich lifts the front by 2.4 amd the rear by 1.6 and the front still has factory control arms. Mind you I have taken the truck Offroad plenty and have had the suspension for 30,000 miles already with no major issue.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Erik,

Not really true on no worries....Chloride compounds, like salt attack the protective coating of Aluminum oxide that forms on the outside of an aluminum part, and thus results in terrible corrosion. For this upper control arm, I would watch it like a hawk for corrosion unless the manufacturer has coated it with a protective, and durable coating. Based on the thickness of this UCA, it should be a non issue for many miles of useful life, but it should not be ignored, but inspected for corrosion. I would be interested in the CAE modeling of this part to understand if it is really robust enough for the front suspension. Likely this part was never analyzed.... What load cases, what were the boundary conditions. Where were the SPC's applied etc. As always...Buyer be aware!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retierd
I would bring to everyone's attention all of the bare aluminum frame boat lifts down here in central Florida that are in nearly perfect condition after years of being submerged in saltwater.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would bring to everyone's attention all of the bare aluminum frame boat lifts down here in central Florida that are in nearly perfect condition after years of being submerged in saltwater.
Submerged as in little or no oxygen exposure. UCAs are not submerged, eh? And the ribbing lends itself so trapping and holding crud including chloride compounds.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Submerged as in little or no oxygen exposure. UCAs are not submerged, eh?
Maybe I should have said "repeatedly submerged" lol I'm referring to an aluminum I-beam cradle that lifts or lowers a boat out of the water. The snowbirds have their cradles raised most of the year, but the locals can get daily salt baths before getting hung up to dry! It's actually pretty cool how much they don't corrode, especially in contrast to the galvanized steel cradles.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I thought watching poor people fight over a discount pork chop in a grocery store was entertaining, but engineers arguing over technical data is even better.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I thought watching poor people fight over a discount pork chop in a grocery store was entertaining, but engineers arguing over technical data is even better.
Maybe I should have said "repeatedly submerged" lol I'm referring to an aluminum I-beam cradle that lifts or lowers a boat out of the water. The snowbirds have their cradles raised most of the year, but the locals can get daily salt baths before getting hung up to dry! It's actually pretty cool how much they don't corrode, especially in contrast to the galvanized steel cradles.
Yeah compared to galvanized steel for sure. I doubt the aftermarket control arms were subjected to any salt spray testing as required by Ford for critical parts and program specific directives, so I am sticking by my admonishment to keep tabs on these aftermarket UCA if exposed to road salt.

best,
Phil

Reactions: Doc

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Only 4 years on the job, I'll often defer to the expertise of the veterans in the industry like Phil or most of my colleagues, but with all due respect I'm feeling confident with this one lol

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah compared to galvanized steel for sure. I doubt the aftermarket control arms were subjected to any salt spray testing as required by Ford for critical parts and program specific directives, so I am sticking by my admonishment to keep tabs on these aftermarket UCA if exposed to road salt.

best,
Phil
Fair enough, it never hurts to keep an eye on things.

I have personally run three projects through conditioning including USCAR salt spray and my uncoated, carbon steel pressure vessels only experienced superficial amounts of corrosion. Gives me some confidence that these high end UCAs will be largely unaffected.
Sponsored