First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 BMW M235, Volcon Grunt
Occupation
Financial advisor
I’m sure many have done UCA’s with their lifts, I was asked what the steering knuckles on my ‘19 lariat were made from - aluminum or steel? Not sure exactly why that matters I guess the ball joint on the UCA but idk, anyone? Also for those that have done Eibach pro truck 1 with just the level adjust up front, did you need UCAs? Thanks!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Beach

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial advisor
I found a thread and its mixed, apparently changed from aluminum to steel around ‘19. Of course. Mine appear to be forged aluminum I would guess

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yes Jeff, it’s about the ball joint taper. If they are silver, they are aluminum, if they are black, they are steel.

OP
OP
Beach

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial advisor
Thanks. In this case swapping shocks to adjustable with 2” or so level on the shock, would you expect to replace the UCR’s as well in order to align properly? I thought it would be a more simple swap but alignment could be an issue

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The collective thought is that you do not need UCAs with a lift under 3". I did Icon UCAs after my Eiback 2.0 installation and noticed the ride softened up a bit. I had no issues with alignment prior to the UCAs. UCAs also allow more wheel travel before binding up so, if you offroad at all, its a worthwhile upgrade.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I bought my Ikon UCAs here through a group buy. At first I thought it was an impulse buy but after 2 years I can say they make a big difference in ride and articulation.

Do you need them with less than 3" lift. Not if it can be aligned to spec.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Jeff, I’ve had a 2-1/2” level kit and currently have Fox Performance coil overs set at 2”. With both of these setups, there were no issues getting the truck aligned to spec. That seems to be the case with others on the forum as well.

@Colo_Ranger makes a good point about wheel travel when off-roading but keep in mind, he wheels the pants off his rig on a regular basis. So, if this is the kind of driving you have in mind……

IMG_5902.jpeg

….upgrading your UCAs just might be in order.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Jeff, I’ve had a 2-1/2” level kit and currently have Fox Performance coil overs set at 2”. With both of these setups, there were no issues getting the truck aligned to spec. That seems to be the case with others on the forum as well.

@Colo_Ranger makes a good point about wheel travel when off-roading but keep in mind, he wheels the pants off his rig on a regular basis. So, if this is the kind of driving you have in mind……

IMG_5902.jpeg

Not an everyday thing for me but.....😁👍

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The easiest way to find out is to get a magnet and see it it sticks to the steering knuckle. If it doesn't then it is the early aluminum. If it does stick that. You have the late steel knuckle

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on your use case... Are you going to be punishing your uppers by having the full height adjustment set?

If you're taking the suspension apart for shock upgrade (yeah I know, it's not really that much to r&r shocks) you might as well replace the uca's.

IMG_5902.jpeg

he has a kid now, he doesn't wheel anywhere but to and from work. He will soon expand that to be to and from daycare and work though, so he has that to look forward to. 🤣

really though, I was drafting a post yesterday and never hit post it seems . . . My recommendation is to look at the future, if there is any chance you are going to want to go above 2-2 1/2 inches of lift, get the UCA's. just bite the bullet and get them. Aftermarket UCA's are, generally, going to be able to handle a bit more abuse than stock, not to mention they look cool.

really though, you have the front end apart to do the suspension work anyway, so why not spend a little more time and money to get a better ride all around.

OP
OP
Beach

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial advisor
Thanks guys, I think I'll go ahead with the UCAs while its all off and accessible. If ever going to do it, might as well be now

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thanks guys, I think I'll go ahead with the UCAs while its all off and accessible. If ever going to do it, might as well be now
Something I want to add, if you are doing a lift(not to confused with leveling kit) and the front is staying at or under 2.5 inches of lift you should be ok without replacing the upper control arms. Your call still

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_5902.jpeg

I am still washing that mud out of the truck. That was a fun trip, but that mud sucks.

Not an everyday thing for me but.....😁👍
Sometimes is enough to justify the UCAs.

he has a kid now, he doesn't wheel anywhere but to and from work. He will soon expand that to be to and from daycare and work though, so he has that to look forward to. 🤣
There is some truth to this right now. Hoping to get out this summer. Baby Colo_Ranger wants to go, I can tell.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I am still washing that mud out of the truck. That was a fun trip, but that mud sucks.

Sometimes is enough to justify the UCAs.

There is some truth to this right now. Hoping to get out this summer. Baby Colo_Ranger wants to go, I can tell.
We can go together, just don't go on any trails that might scratch my paint. (🤣)

By summer mine will be 12, and will be willing to fawn all over baby_colo_ranger.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
We can go together, just don't go on any trails that might scratch my paint. (🤣)

By summer mine will be 12, and will be willing to fawn all over baby_colo_ranger.
we’ve called him the lady killer because the nurses in the NICU loved him. This was written on his board.
IMG_1105.jpeg
Sponsored