First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The fact is that your Pinto is a horrible example to compare to a Prius or any modern economy car today. Night and day difference between reliability, safely, quality... You are still trying to compare highway mileage, that most people never see on a daily basis. What does the Pinto get in the city. It is probably not too much better than the Ranger. I can't think of a single car for the 70's or 80's that is better than cars today.

I don't own a hybrid either. After seeing how well my sons car is working out for him, I would seriously consider one. The next thing we are going to see is hybrids becoming a lot more performance oriented. I was very intrigued with the specs on the Rav4 Prime hybrid that is coming out this summer. I would not be surprised if Ford follows suit with something similar for the Escape.
What exactly is the qualification you are measuring? Carbon footprint? The Pinto wins. Overall cost consideration, as in cost to operate vehicle per mile? The Pinto wins.

Realistically if you expect a 50 year old car to be as safe as a modern one, you are on a fools errand.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
The fact is that your Pinto is a horrible example to compare to a Prius or any modern economy car today. Night and day difference between reliability, safely, quality... You are still trying to compare highway mileage, that most people never see on a daily basis. What does the Pinto get in the city. It is probably not too much better than the Ranger. I can't think of a single car for the 70's or 80's that is better than cars today.

I don't own a hybrid either. After seeing how well my sons car is working out for him, I would seriously consider one. The next thing we are going to see is hybrids becoming a lot more performance oriented. I was very intrigued with the specs on the Rav4 Prime hybrid that is coming out this summer. I would not be surprised if Ford follows suit with something similar for the Escape.
Different era altogether , so mileage was the only comparison made.
As for reliability, how does eleven dollars in unscheduled maintenance in the first 100,000 miles sound? I was never able to get less than 28MPG (manual trans) even when blowing away Supras at stoplights.
Ford has already built several Hybrids. none of which will ever find a place in my garage.

I am serious when I say that if you parked a brand new Prius next to a brand new Pinto sedan today and gave me the choice of either, I would take the Pinto without hesitation.
You can be glad that I left the Prius for you! :wink:
You are right ... There is no comparison.

If you do want a Toyota Hybrid, You might consider the Camry, Probably a better choice with less stigma attached.

Seriously. I'm not being antagonistic here.....
We can be glad that we have so many choices and that we are not all driving Trabbies. (maybe soon)
Personally I am glad that Toyota is so popular, that helps keep the crowds and the prices down at my local Ford dealer.

Last edited:

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
I don’t get the gladiator hate. They look okay like the ranger but look way better once you put some work into them. The Gladiator is meant for true off roading and cheaper moding then most trucks. I may look at one in a few years as long as the price dips.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I don't think it's Gladiator hate so much as a bit of incredulity at the price for what you get.

I didn't even consider the Gladiator since I had a brand new 2017 Wrangler that I ended up not liking, I drove several JL Wranglers and didn't care for them, and therefore a JL Wrangler pickup with worse performance probably wouldn't appeal to me either.

If you want a real offroader, the Gladiator is probably the best choice in Rubicon guise, though I would probably give a long look at the diesel since the 3.6 is a bit underpowered for the Gladiator.

(I remember a comparison test where the Ranger with 1000lbs of cement in the bed outran an empty Gladiator.)

Even then, turning radius and breakover angle could be problematic.

If you want a truck for truck things, there are many better choices.

I like that my Ranger is off road capable, but it's not my main vehicle for taking offroad.

I have no illusions that my Ranger would be able to outperfom my Grand Cherokee off road.

Solid axles with hydraulic LS front and rear, a much tighter turning circle, and V8 off idle punch are hard to beat.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t get the gladiator hate. They look okay like the ranger but look way better once you put some work into them. The Gladiator is meant for true off roading and cheaper moding then most trucks. I may look at one in a few years as long as the price dips.
How doe a 137" wheelbase fit with "meant for true off roading"?

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
What exactly is the qualification you are measuring? Carbon footprint? The Pinto wins. Overall cost consideration, as in cost to operate vehicle per mile? The Pinto wins.

Realistically if you expect a 50 year old car to be as safe as a modern one, you are on a fools errand.
First of all, you may want to have the safety discussion with Floyd. On cost, the Pinto at $700 will win every day, as long as it runs. Carbon footprint, the Prius would kill it.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Different era altogether , so mileage was the only comparison made.
As for reliability, how does eleven dollars in unscheduled maintenance in the first 100,000 miles sound? I was never able to get less than 28MPG (manual trans) even when blowing away Supras at stoplights.
Ford has already built several Hybrids. none of which will ever find a place in my garage.
Yea right Floyd. $11 in unscheduled maintenance for the first 100k miles. About the only way this is believable is (a) you have a wider definition of unscheduled maintenance than everybody else,; (b) you had a donor car for parts; and/or (c) you were getting parts for free from somewhere.

Back in that era, the Supra actually had slightly better performance than the Pinto, but both were downright slow by todays standards. The Pinto did have its light weight going for it though. If you were trouncing Supra's my guess is you were not running the stock Pinto motor. It looks like your profile says you have a v8 in the Pinto. The Pinto with a 5.0 HO FI would certainly leave all but the 4th generation Supra Twin-Turbo in the dust. The other motor that would have been a lot of fun in the Pinto was the Mustang SVO turbo 4.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
First of all, you may want to have the safety discussion with Floyd. On cost, the Pinto at $700 will win every day, as long as it runs. Carbon footprint, the Prius would kill it.
Prius would certainly kill it if it ran into the rear end of the Pinto ;)

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea right Floyd. $11 in unscheduled maintenance for the first 100k miles. About the only way this is believable is (a) you have a wider definition of unscheduled maintenance than everybody else,; (b) you had a donor car for parts; and/or (c) you were getting parts for free from somewhere.

Back in that era, the Supra actually had slightly better performance than the Pinto, but both were downright slow by todays standards. The Pinto did have its light weight going for it though. If you were trouncing Supra's my guess is you were not running the stock Pinto motor. It looks like your profile says you have a v8 in the Pinto. The Pinto with a 5.0 HO FI would certainly leave all but the 4th generation Supra Twin-Turbo in the dust. The other motor that would have been a lot of fun in the Pinto was the Mustang SVO turbo 4.
An electric choke thermostat failed around 74K on my 1977 pinto sedan, $11 for the part.
I'm not concerned about what you believe, but I take umbrage at the ad hominem.
I won't try to boost my position by channeling "everybody else".

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The discussion is mileage, which by default brings in carbon footprint.

No way the Prius wins on Carbon footprint. You forgot to calculate, as do most folks, the carbon footprint of making the Prius and the environmental impact of building the battery pack and charging the battery pack...

The Prius Carbon Footprint Myth

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Before the V8 project , I ran an SVO turbo 2.3L in my 1980 Pinto.
It was amazing above 3000RPM on acceleration and the top end was incredible.
I would share some true stories with you, but you just wouldn't believe me anyway:giggle:

Earlier I installed a turbo with other mods on an RX7 for a friend. It would literally redline in overdrive.
I built the "SVO Pinto" to beat it.

Last edited:

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Our Dart Aero gets 40+ on long trips. 1.3L Fiat turbo, so there is also plenty of get up and go when needed.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
The discussion is mileage, which by default brings in carbon footprint.

No way the Prius wins on Carbon footprint. You forgot to calculate, as do most folks, the carbon footprint of making the Prius and the environmental impact of building the battery pack and charging the battery pack...

The Prius Carbon Footprint Myth
Interesting. I have read about this before. I have read about the super-fund level site in Canada and who knows what is going on in China. My question to you is did you even bother to read the article that you posted? The first article is pretty old. There is not a date on it, but it looks like it was originally published in late 2010 to maybe early 2011. The second article is from 2016 and points out some interesting thoughts. First a Prius is expected to last about 100k miles? Just do a search on CraigsList to check the validity of that. But the best quote was this

So while the Prius may not be worse for the environment than a Hummer is, it certainly would be given a run for its money when put head-to-head with a used car with reasonable fuel economy.
Note the used car. So would a new car with reasonable fuel economy lose to the Prius?

Back to the original comparison of a modern day Prius vs a 1980 Pinto. No doubt that the emissions from producing a Prius is significantly higher than say a modern day Focus or Fusion. (1) I wonder how that compares to the emissions generated back in 1980 to produce the Pinto. I have no idea, but I would guess the plant was not as clean as today. (2) In this country, the majority of the population is in the cities. So, if we go by city miles, I think the Prius is rated at 54 mpg and what is the Pinto rated at in the city – maybe 21 to 23 mpg? That would give the Prius at least 2.3 times the mpg in the city. (3) The Pinto is late 1970’s-1980 technology for emissions. According to epa.gov a 2013 car is 99% cleaner than a 1970 car. Now to be fair, the 1970 car was running leaded gas, whereas Floyd’s 1980 Pinto would have been unleaded, so right there is probably a significant gain in cleaner emissions. Still, hard to believe that a 1980 4 cyl would be nearly as clean as a modern 4 cyl.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Before the V8 project , I ran an SVO turbo 2.3L in my 1980 Pinto.
It was amazing above 3000RPM on acceleration and the top end was incredible.
I would share some true stories with you, but you just wouldn't believe me anyway:giggle:

Earlier I installed a turbo with other mods on an RX7 for a friend. It would literally redline in overdrive.
I built the "SVO Pinto" to beat it.
Just because I do not agree with you that a stock Pinto would blow away a stock Supra of that era does not mean that I would not believe you that a SVO turbo powered Pinto would be really fast. I’ll bet that car was insane.

When I got out of college in the late 80’s I wanted to buy an SVO Mustang. I couldn’t find one and I needed a car, so I purchased a 1988 Mustang LX 5.0 instead. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Fox body Mustangs.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Interesting. I have read about this before. I have read about the super-fund level site in Canada and who knows what is going on in China. My question to you is did you even bother to read the article that you posted? The first article is pretty old. There is not a date on it, but it looks like it was originally published in late 2010 to maybe early 2011. The second article is from 2016 and points out some interesting thoughts. First a Prius is expected to last about 100k miles? Just do a search on CraigsList to check the validity of that. But the best quote was this

Note the used car. So would a new car with reasonable fuel economy lose to the Prius?

Back to the original comparison of a modern day Prius vs a 1980 Pinto. No doubt that the emissions from producing a Prius is significantly higher than say a modern day Focus or Fusion. (1) I wonder how that compares to the emissions generated back in 1980 to produce the Pinto. I have no idea, but I would guess the plant was not as clean as today. (2) In this country, the majority of the population is in the cities. So, if we go by city miles, I think the Prius is rated at 54 mpg and what is the Pinto rated at in the city – maybe 21 to 23 mpg? That would give the Prius at least 2.3 times the mpg in the city. (3) The Pinto is late 1970’s-1980 technology for emissions. According to epa.gov a 2013 car is 99% cleaner than a 1970 car. Now to be fair, the 1970 car was running leaded gas, whereas Floyd’s 1980 Pinto would have been unleaded, so right there is probably a significant gain in cleaner emissions. Still, hard to believe that a 1980 4 cyl would be nearly as clean as a modern 4 cyl.
You must be a youngster if you think a 2010 article is "out of date"?

If you have a perfectly good running Pinto and decide to replace it with a Prius to save the planet and help the environment... you are on a fools errand. Keep the Pinto, it's existing carbon footprint is smaller than what a new Prius would be.

Now if you want a "safer" car, or a newer car, or a hybrid car... 'cause that's just what you want, fine. But don't brag about saving the planet, you are not. Quite the contrary.
Sponsored

Last edited: