U.S. Ranger Sales Surged in Q1 and Now Match Chevy Colorado’s Volume

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
My son purchased a used 2016 Prius after he realized how expensive a 55 mile round trip to work can be in a car that got 18-19 mpg. The exterior is certainly acquired taste, but inside it is a really nice car. He averages @ 60 mpg with it. Last year we drove it from Phoenix to Albuquerque (@ 450 miles) on a single tank and still had @ a ¼ tank left.
I've gotten over 600 miles out of a tank of diesel in a 2009 Jetta that won't require the five-figure sum to replace the battery like a Prius will. Also, really nice interior? Since when? EVERY SINGLE Prius I've ridden in (I use Lyft and Uber quite a bit) has had seats that were as comfortable as a park bench or a cinder-block wall. They're hard, flat and have no support whatsoever. The entire interior is overwhelmingly covered in cheap plastic materials with those green LED displays that remind of a 1989 Sony clock radio's time display. It's painfully evident that Toyota built the Prius to a price point for a particular market. Hell, I don't even think they've ever denied that fact.

I'm hoping our 2019 Ranger will be trouble free for 17 years and end up with factory original brakes @ 175,000 miles.... like our last Tacoma did.
That would have far more to do with the driver than it does the vehicle manufacturer. Also, I'm not sure that's something I'd be proud of keeping around that long. I'm sure those pads were glazed and the rotors worn regardless of what the pad thickness may have indicated. I'll bet the service manual recommended they be replaced long before they got to that point anyway. Otherwise, you should've contacted Guinness World Records as I'm sure it would've been one for OEM brake life.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
That would have far more to do with the driver than it does the vehicle manufacturer. Also, I'm not sure that's something I'd be proud of keeping around that long. I'm sure those pads were glazed and the rotors worn regardless of what the pad thickness may have indicated. I'll bet the service manual recommended they be replaced long before they got to that point anyway. Otherwise, you should've contacted Guinness World Records as I'm sure it would've been one for OEM brake life.
Same driver.... just me.
I don't tend to fix things... that aren't broke.

But, hey, you may be right, but in my '59 years on this ole orb I've never seen an expiration date on a set of disc brake pads or drum brake shoes?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
He has an uncomfortable man love for you that no color of blood will change
Hi RP,

There is an ignore selection for those posters that are non value added.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But, hey, you may be right, but in my '59 years on this ole orb I've never seen an expiration date on a set of disc brake pads or drum brake shoes?
In my over 20 years of professional commercial and personal vehicle maintenance, I have.

Deleted member 1634

Hi RP,

There is an ignore selection for those posters that are non value added.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I keep forgetting about this feature. There seem to be more and more times lately where this will come in handy. Thanks Phil!

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I've gotten over 600 miles out of a tank of diesel in a 2009 Jetta that won't require the five-figure sum to replace the battery like a Prius will. Also, really nice interior? Since when? EVERY SINGLE Prius I've ridden in (I use Lyft and Uber quite a bit) has had seats that were as comfortable as a park bench or a cinder-block wall. They're hard, flat and have no support whatsoever. The entire interior is overwhelmingly covered in cheap plastic materials with those green LED displays that remind of a 1989 Sony clock radio's time display. It's painfully evident that Toyota built the Prius to a price point for a particular market. Hell, I don't even think they've ever denied that fact.
A Prius battery pack over $10,000? Where did you get that from? Your right that the diesel will do well on the highway for fuel econ. In the city the hybrid really shines and it wouldn't even be close. Also, I think you are talking about the previous gen Prius. No green led display and its actually a pretty nice car. It was actually really comfortable on the one road trip I took in it.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Thing is, there are lots of vehicles which get a LOT more than 18-19 MPG and a 2019 Prius is rated 50MPG highway.
Heck, 40 years ago I couldn't drive my Pinto hard enough commuting to average less than 28MPG. Even with a carburetor and no overdrive, 35mpg was common for highway..
Point is, you don't have to have a Prius or even a hybrid to get good mileage, especially in 2020.
Nice try Floyd. So you try to prove your point by using the highway mpg figure. You and I both know that hybrid does better in the city. That's where most of his driving is. Of course there are a lot of cars that will do better than 18-19 mpg. By that same token, there are very few that run on gas that will do better than the Prius or a comparable hybrid. Your more than welcome to start listing them off.

Kind of funny you compared it to a Pinto. I could not image what the Pinto would have been like going up the Arizona mountain grades.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Nice try Floyd. So you try to prove your point by using the highway mpg figure. You and I both know that hybrid does better in the city. That's where most of his driving is. Of course there are a lot of cars that will do better than 18-19 mpg. By that same token, there are very few that run on gas that will do better than the Prius or a comparable hybrid. Your more than welcome to start listing them off.

Kind of funny you compared it to a Pinto. I could not image what the Pinto would have been like going up the Arizona mountain grades.
I see you've never driven a Pinto.:giggle:
Fact is, I was only using it as an example that 45 years ago there were cars which consistently got 30 MPG without even fuel injection or overdrive.
" Doing better" is not only about fuel economy....
I have a 3900 pound truck which can consistently deliver high twenties on fuel, and when needed it can tow 7500 pounds or haul nearly a ton.
That's "doing better" for my needs.

Prius is a popular car and is very fuel efficient , Toyota in general has a large enough following that they don't need my endorsement. (Good thing for them)
I'm sure it was the right choice for your needs and your money.:like:

I will never own another Toyota or any hybrid for a daily driver, not even a hybrid from another manufacturer.
Luckily I won't have to... I've still got my Pinto.:wink:

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Prius battery pack over $10,000? Where did you get that from?
It's what Mossy Toyota charged my sister for her 2008 Prius. The battery was done after I believe it was seven years or so and the battery by itself was around $7,000 plus all the labor to tear the car apart to replace it.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
The I see you've never driven a Pinto.:giggle:
Fact is, I was only using it as an example that 45 years ago there were cars which consistently got 30 MPG without even fuel injection or overdrive.
" Doing better" is not only about fuel economy....
I have a 3900 pound truck which can consistently deliver high twenties on fuel, and when needed it can tow 7500 pounds or haul nearly a ton.
That's "doing better" for my needs.

Prius is a popular car and is very fuel efficient , Toyota in general has a large enough following that they don't need my endorsement. (Good thing for them)
I'm sure it was the right choice for your needs and your money.:like:

I will never own another Toyota or any hybrid for a daily driver, not even a hybrid from another manufacturer.
Luckily I won't have to... I've still got my Pinto.:wink:
The fact is that your Pinto is a horrible example to compare to a Prius or any modern economy car today. Night and day difference between reliability, safely, quality... You are still trying to compare highway mileage, that most people never see on a daily basis. What does the Pinto get in the city. It is probably not too much better than the Ranger. I can't think of a single car for the 70's or 80's that is better than cars today.

I don't own a hybrid either. After seeing how well my sons car is working out for him, I would seriously consider one. The next thing we are going to see is hybrids becoming a lot more performance oriented. I was very intrigued with the specs on the Rav4 Prime hybrid that is coming out this summer. I would not be surprised if Ford follows suit with something similar for the Escape.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
It's what Mossy Toyota charged my sister for her 2008 Prius. The battery was done after I believe it was seven years or so and the battery by itself was around $7,000 plus all the labor to tear the car apart to replace it.
From google searches, it looks like the best option for replacing a hybrid battery is going to private shop. I think the only time you got to the dealer is if it is under warranty.

Deleted member 1634

The fact is that your Pinto is a horrible example to compare to a Prius or any modern economy car today. Night and day difference between reliability, safely, quality... You are still trying to compare highway mileage, that most people never see on a daily basis. What does the Pinto get in the city. It is probably not too much better than the Ranger. I can't think of a single car for the 70's or 80's that is better than cars today.

I don't own a hybrid either. After seeing how well my sons car is working out for him, I would seriously consider one. The next thing we are going to see is hybrids becoming a lot more performance oriented. I was very intrigued with the specs on the Rav4 Prime hybrid that is coming out this summer. I would not be surprised if Ford follows suit with something similar for the Escape.
My wife just bought a 2020 Escape Hybrid a couple months ago and it's a wonderful car. The hybrid system is amazing! You don't even notice what it's doing and it's doing so many things and bouncing around between modes all the time. She's consistently getting upper 40s mpg on her work commute, and even been able to do more electric miles than not sometimes with a bit of practice. And in the end, the Hybrid model was only $1200 more than a non-hybrid model. So with it essentially getting double the mileage, that'll pay for itself in no time.

Definitely a better commuter/daily driver vehicle than the Ranger in almost every way. The Hybrid also has more "get up and go" than the Ranger does too, thanks to the instantaneous constant torque from the electric motors. Don't get me wrong, the Ranger has plenty of benefits and I love mine very much, but city driving commutes is not a highlight.

41796.jpeg
Sponsored