Turn off data collection

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I have a 2021 on order, and am reading through FordPass documentation.

Per the FordPass privacy policy (which I know several of you have linked to before), almost limitless information is gathered: Privacy Policy

Does anyone know: if FordPass isn't activated, is that data somehow still transmitted to Ford? I can't imagine a mechanism by which the vehicle would do that, but, I'm not 100% sure something (eg an automatic wifi connection) isn't running in the background.

To me, it's a good tradeoff to not use FordPass, in order to protect privacy rights.
Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I'll say no, but once you go to Ford for an oil change & they plug in, all info
collected in your car will be available to 'them'. My Subaru dealership said
they don't have the equipment to do this. I read some CEO of a car company said we would be shocked at the amount of information they have on us. I don't have the link to
that article, so I can't back it up. We are a natural resource & I'm sure they sell some info.
If your worried about warranty, assume they can get the info.
I just turned on that feature because according to FordPass my truck
was in Waine. Now when the day arrives that I can go shopping, I will be able to find
my truck in the parking lot.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
https://inteltechniques.com/
https://inteltechniques.com/podcast.html

Michael Bazzell talks a lot about how vehicles track your data now in his book and podcasts from time to time. For some people that level of privacy is important. It is to me, but yet they put Ford Pass AND Kaihu on my truck - two trackers. One day I'll drop off the radar and remain in plain sight; put the house and vehicles in a trust, put the cell phones in the name of the trust, drop social media completely, etc. For today that's just aspirational, but thank you for asking the question and raising the issue. Good luck on your quest to remain off radar.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Truck has a cell modmodem, it doesn't need a WiFi connection to send data. Wait till you find out about the data every website, you ISP and your cell provider are collecting

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The only way to keep your ISP and websites from tracking you is to constantly run a VPN.

But now you have to place your trust in the VPN provider ?

And if a VPN is free then YOU are the product (with the possible exception of Proton and Windscribe, though their free options have very limited bandwidth. Plus Windscribe is headquartered in the Five Eyes :thumbsdown:).

And even with paid VPNs, some don't quite abide by what they say they are doing (IPVanish and HideMyAss are 2 VPNs that were providing user data to others)

And that's just the online data scraping.

Credit cards, checking accounts, and other financial services monitor you even more closely.

Just wait until the government decides that Venezuela has a good idea going (cash is being replaced, all electronic transactions) and in one fell swoop they figure they can end the drug trade, prostitution, illegal gambling, and many other cash-based industries. All for your benefit of course. Well actually, all of those things are legal when the government gets their cut :wink:

If you want to have a bit of fun, go HERE and see what's up with your internet.

Who ya gonna trust?

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I have a 2021 on order, and am reading through FordPass documentation.

Per the FordPass privacy policy (which I know several of you have linked to before), almost limitless information is gathered: Privacy Policy

Does anyone know: if FordPass isn't activated, is that data somehow still transmitted to Ford? I can't imagine a mechanism by which the vehicle would do that, but, I'm not 100% sure something (eg an automatic wifi connection) isn't running in the background.

To me, it's a good tradeoff to not use FordPass, in order to protect privacy rights.
That's a good question. I don't believe that the information is transmitted, at least not all of it. If there is no specific purpose for you to use FordPass, and you are concerned about security, then it is best not to even create an account.

As for online browsing, there is no such thing as a completely secure connection - there is always a breach point somewhere, it's just a matter of whether the possible intruder is interested in pilfering, specifically, your data. The time and effort necessary to go after one specific target typically makes it too costly. Unless, of course, that person has done something to warrant that kind of financial output or the intruder has a vendetta.

As Dr. Zaius suggested, use a VPN and if you want added browsing security, top it off with the tor browser. It encrypts all traffic at least three times and routes through different IP addresses around the world.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I "assume"....
  1. If you never activate Ford Pass or the wifi in your truck... Ford has no way to transmit the data from your truck to them.
  2. If you take the truck to the dealership, then they could download the data from your truck.
But who, that we trust, can tell us for sure?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
... if you want added browsing security, top it off with the tor browser. It encrypts all traffic at least three times and routes through different IP addresses around the world.
This.

Not sure if it's still true, but just searching for TOR used to land you on the NSA watchlist.

And also, the "VPN" that is built into some browsers. ie Opera, is in reality just a proxy and they still collect your data.

If anyone is worried about data collection and uses Android Auto, I recommend checking their privacy policy carefully as Google had an interesting history of respecting user privacy. https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...es-on-you-says-it-takes-privacy-seriously.htm
Hearing Google say "We take your privacy seriously" makes me think of "The check's in the mail" and a few other platitudes.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Data upload can be disabled via Sync. You will lose some features (remote start & lock/unlock from your phone is about the only useful one.) And perhaps GPS location if you forget where you parked frequently...

FYI the data that the dealer gets when they plug in is not the same (limited to vehicle health/status only.)

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Not sure if it's still true, but just searching for TOR used to land you on the NSA watchlist.
I have a feeling I'm already on that one. :bandit:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
what private data are they collecting that concerns you?

Should the concern be his question, or that you are seemingly OK with a daily barrage of data intrusion in all aspects of our life. I'm no hermit when it comes to electronics, but to hand-wave it seems like a bad idea. Hell I still have a habit of taking off my body worn camera when I have to go to the bathroom even though its suppose to be a simple on/off device. Its just creepy to me.

rausa64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I try to work around the privacy issue by mitigating or inhibiting it by using the FordPass on my iPad and not having it installed on my iPhone. I have a certain peace of mind that maybe they are prevented in some manner having access to all my information while still having the benefits of the app.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
99% of what i do has no privacy concern to me. most of that info is public knowledge.
the other 1% will make me blush a little....but who cares really?
My NSA and FBI agents enjoy Space Battleship Yamato 2199 just as much as I do.
Sponsored