Turn Off or Dim Backup Camera? (XL 4" Sync Screen)

RangerJeff

First Name
TheJeffness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX
I have searched all over the internet to find that I must be the only one in the world that has any interest in being able to turn off the backup camera in my new ranger. The issue I have is that when the camera gets water droplets on it at night, or just general night driving really, the camera is entirely too bright and I cannot see my mirrors. I prefer my mirrors until I am trying to line something up or get really close to something but other than that I donā€™t need the camera. Is there any way I could just turn the screen off while in reverse when I am not using the camera. I donā€™t want it disabled, I just want to control it like the radio screen (the display off button). Someone please help. There has to be a solution to this.
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I have searched all over the internet to find that I must be the only one in the world that has any interest in being able to turn off the backup camera in my new ranger. The issue I have is that when the camera gets water droplets on it at night, or just general night driving really, the camera is entirely too bright and I cannot see my mirrors. I prefer my mirrors until I am trying to line something up or get really close to something but other than that I donā€™t need the camera. Is there any way I could just turn the screen off while in reverse when I am not using the camera. I donā€™t want it disabled, I just want to control it like the radio screen (the display off button). Someone please help. There has to be a solution to this.
I think there's an option to turn display off, and then to turn it back on you just tap it anywhere, I haven't tested this as of yet.

upload_2019-9-17_7-41-14.png

OP
OP
RangerJeff

RangerJeff

First Name
TheJeffness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX
I think there's an option to turn display off, and then to turn it back on you just tap it anywhere, I haven't tested this as of yet.

upload_2019-9-17_7-41-14.png
My display isnā€™t touch screen. I have a button that turns the display off and on but it doesnā€™t work when I put the truck in reverse, the screen comes on full bright and I canā€™t turn it off until I go into a different gear.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Totally agree, I posted something a few months ago about how I can't see anything out the back if the camera is dirty because the camera display is so bright all I can see is my reflection in the windows.

I'd like an "off" button added to darken the screen with one touch until you resume going forward.

OP
OP
RangerJeff

RangerJeff

First Name
TheJeffness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX
Totally agree, I posted something a few months ago about how I can't see anything out the back if the camera is dirty because the camera display is so bright all I can see is my reflection in the windows.

I'd like an "off" button added to darken the screen with one touch until you resume going forward.

I know right. If they would just allow the darken button to work in reverse, that would be A ok with me.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It may not be available to turn off due to regulations - all cars from 2018 on (I think) require a backup camera. Just guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It may not be available to turn off due to regulations - all cars from 2018 on (I think) require a backup camera. Just guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.
Hi Rob,

You are correct All vehicles under 10,000 lbs must have a backup camera starting in May of 2018. Looks like disabling the camera is not an option.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Rob,

You are correct All vehicles under 10,000 lbs must have a backup camera starting in May of 2018. Looks like disabling the camera is not an option.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Seems that vehicles OVER 10000# would benefit more from a backup camera than something like a Ford Focus...

OP
OP
RangerJeff

RangerJeff

First Name
TheJeffness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX
Seems that vehicles OVER 10000# would benefit more from a backup camera than something like a Ford Focus...
Also, if they are going to make you have one, they should allow you to dim the screen when needed. Itā€™s more dangerous at night than it is useful. Looks like Iā€™ll be unplugging my tailgate

OP
OP
RangerJeff

RangerJeff

First Name
TheJeffness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX
So, new question, is there a way for me to edit the title of this thread?? Just noticed I got autocorrected from ā€˜dimā€™ to ā€˜sumā€™

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I don't know if it's this simple or not... but maybe you could splice into the camera's power wire and run a switch to the cab to control it from there. I don't know much about them so it may not be that simple.

OP
OP
RangerJeff

RangerJeff

First Name
TheJeffness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX
I don't know if it's this simple or not... but maybe you could splice into the camera's power wire and run a switch to the cab to control it from there. I don't know much about them so it may not be that simple.
I was wondering this as well. Iā€™m pretty good with wiring and electronics, but have never been into something this new.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So, new question, is there a way for me to edit the title of this thread?? Just noticed I got autocorrected from ā€˜dimā€™ to ā€˜sumā€™
Done

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It would throw an APIM code, and stop working properly (most likely). My wife's Edge stopped working properly, and all I did was swap it with the exact same part number.

There needs to be a dim button next to the "+" button when the backup camera is active.
Sponsored