Turn off data collection

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
I don't care if Ford knows how many times I go to the beer store with my Ranger.
I don't drive back home drunk.......

?
Sponsored

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
I don't care if Ford knows how many times I go to the beer store with my Ranger.
I don't drive back home drunk.......

?
... but that is what u have to prove... maybe at the worst case only, but...

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
99% of what i do has no privacy concern to me. most of that info is public knowledge.
the other 1% will make me blush a little....but who cares really?
took ur delorean and have a trip to Berlin in the 1930s and u ll find out soon...:rolleyes:

1610430030841.jpg

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
To continue this thread, for anyone interested:

1) I pulled fuse 9 (Telematics) from the passenger compartment per the manual link here, and that did work for cellular -- but Wifi still operates.

So, if you've also pulled fuse 9 and think the vehicle is now not able to connect...well, unfortunately it still can :|

2) I wasn't able to find another fuse for Wifi.

Does anyone know how to disable Wifi, so the vehicle can't auto-connect and transmit data?

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have nothing to hide........well maybe some stuff.

I work in IT Networking and Cybersecurity.

If you are on a laptop or phone your information can't be hidden. You don't want to be tracked you will need to learn to enjoy life with none of these devices.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I broke that page with my NoScript add-on. Very cool add-on. Mostly for annoyances - goodbye animations and overlays, but there are some privacy benefits also. I'm a data collector's worst nightmare. You guys should check it out. NoScript can be set up to selectively trust some domains that you want to be able to run javascript on your computer.
Noyoudontgettorunthatshitonmybrowser.jpg

I'm a guy that does not have a google account actively used, is not logged in to google, and does not accept permanent cookies from google, google affiliates, facebook or facebook affiliates. Only temporary one visit cookies so I can look at and use some of their shit if I want to.
cookieblock.jpg

This is all Firefox btw.

There are times however I evaluate my will to keep my privacy with my want of the features offered. I do give up some privacy to use Fordpass.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...is-a-privacy-nightmare-on-desktop-and-mobile/

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I have telemetry disabled on firefox. Not through their partially limited menu setup options, but through router hardware by blocking domains so mozzila never phones home.

That's for home PC only, where I do most of my browsing. It's when I am forced to use a phone to browse that privacy suffers. No ability to lock up these systems. Privacy pretty much just goes away on a phone or tablet. I use them as little as possible.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
If you are on a laptop or phone your information can't be hidden. You don't want to be tracked you will need to learn to enjoy life with none of these devices.
I think that's a valid viewpoint, and many people share that perspective :) However, I actively try to limit this information -- including on my phone.

This is especially important (at least, to me) when companies are profiting off of this information without my consent.

I'm happy to purchase a product (like this vehicle) for slightly higher cost so that info isn't sold, but if that option isn't available, it's on me to make the effort.

Does anyone know how to disable the Wifi antennas? Do the keys use the Wifi antenna?
I imagine the keys could be using a separate 900 MHz antenna (are the keys 900 MHz?), so disabling Wifi should be okay.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Should the concern be his question, or that you are seemingly OK with a daily barrage of data intrusion in all aspects of our life. I'm no hermit when it comes to electronics, but to hand-wave it seems like a bad idea. Hell I still have a habit of taking off my body worn camera when I have to go to the bathroom even though its suppose to be a simple on/off device. Its just creepy to me.
You and me work the differently.

If I were worried that somebody was secretly watching me take a leak I'd narrate the process for them.

"Okay, don't get ecxited, but here comes the big one"

"Oops shook it 3 times, you know what that means."

"Alright time to check on officer Johnson."

Maybe I'm weird, but I couldn't care less if some keyboard jockey knows what I do online.

There are reasons we all agree to terms and conditions. I've yet to see the human centipede outside of TV.

I think most people that are concerned about this are more than a little arrogant. Nobody cares about you that much, they just want to advertise to you.

pyphb

First Name
Pyp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Buy stuff
Ford pass turned on, collect gps data, all trip data, some geofenced, can see faults raised eg roller shutter failures pretty much all of your usage. Connected to house wifi. Let them have the data as long as I also get something out of it….
Emailed reports on distance, trip odometer start end km/miles etc.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
After the Equifax data breach, which has already exposed the private information of virtually anyone that has ever borrowed money to the dark web, I don’t worry about it too much anymore. I freeze my credit with all three credit bureaus so no one can buy a house or car in my name and otherwise I try not to let privacy protection consume me, since it’s almost impossible.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I use a paid VPN on both my home computer and phone, use Tor browser when doing some things :)) ), use 'Little Snitch' to filter all net connections for allow/don't allow, don't even have a google account, and erase all cookies when closing browser. In another life I was deep into IT and compiled code for custom websites as a side gig. You will NEVER stop all personal data collection as CC tracking, pinging cell towers, tax records, and a multitude of other documents track you. You can limit a lot of it with blind trusts, VPN's, STAYING off of Google (one of the worst data sharing sites) and such. Even sites that say they don't 'Track' you still collect the information and hold it for a set period of time due to agreements with the fed's.
Sponsored

Last edited: