First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I'm curious if the 'soft shift' will hurt the trans or not. The slamming sensation and odd pattern of the stock shift strategy feels like it's harmful, but then maybe the adaptive aspect at fault too.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, there seems to be more negative comments about 5-Star then Ford Performance, Livernois or Unleashed.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
FWIW, there seems to be more negative comments about 5-Star then Ford Performance, Livernois or Unleashed.
Yea most people on this forum like smooth shifts and not all the power they can get just something better than stock and reliable.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I suppose there are degrees of competence and variables at play that aren't apparent.

I would give some credit to five star in honoring their paid insurance option when the tune was blamed for the catastrophic engine failure in the epic 'I think I threw a rod' saga on this forum. They offer a lot of canned tunes so I think there's some risk there.

I thought Livernoise was behind Ford's Performance Tune - and while that's not customizable I think they offer it in direct sales. I'm using Unleashed and while a prominent member here had an issue with a used tuner device from them I've had Torrie tweak and update my tune every time I've made mechanical changes or want newer options like the @TORQUERULES shift strategy. I had some odd things happen during developing versions but I'm confident in my tuner. This last version has been problem free for well over a year.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious if the 'soft shift' will hurt the trans or not. The slamming sensation and odd pattern of the stock shift strategy feels like it's harmful, but then maybe the adaptive aspect at fault too.
I was just trying to stir the pot, all this information is already out there.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have a 5 star daily and performance, both for 93 octane. I used the daily tune mostly and it is night and day over stock. But the performance tune is wicked fast. Now that I have a new daily vehicle I'll probably keep it on performance tune. You can even here the idle difference in park and drive with the performance tune.

Both will make you never go back to stock. The daily tune is the perfect in between for daily driving where you want to sometimes drive normal. The performance tune is like all or nothing with very hard engine shifts and very hard engine braking, but I did tell the tuner to tune it for rally racing 🏎🐎

Also, the more smoother the shifts are the more wear you're putting on the transmission 😲

Edit: I'm using the sct tuner and 5 star emailed me the tunes
Awesome! Thank you for the feedback. Did you also buy the gauge they offer? Looks kind of cool, but not sure it's worth it.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome! Thank you for the feedback. Did you also buy the gauge they offer? Looks kind of cool, but not sure it's worth it.
No problem. Not sure about the gauge? Could you post a picture? I bought the sct tuner I think it's called bdx. Tunes were free since I bought it through 5 star. Each time I bought something I bought it through them for a free updated tune or else it's like $65 a tune. For example I got my downpipe through them and they sent me a new tune with it.
PXL_20230910_212925938.MP.jpg

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Soft shift is still a firmer shift than stock, but not as crazy as the more performance version. So I doubt it is hurting anything; not like its slipping the hell out of the clutches to make it butter smooth.. it isn't for sure. It also skip shifts; something I don't mind when driving normal. On mine with the soft shift; I still get a hard shift up to 5th and down to 8th under certain circumstances. That was happening before the tune; especially the down to 8th. That seems to be a my truck thing and not exactly normal. I am extremely happy with how it acts when I get on it.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I was just trying to stir the pot, all this information is already out there.
I emailed Torrie to be sure and in his response to my inquiry about the @TORQUERULES shift mod and disabling adaptive learning he said

I don’t have any long term empirical data to support that, but I don’t see how it would degrade longevity.

I can shut off adaptive learning.
EDIT: in a follow-up email Torrie says the @TORQUERULES shift strategy disables adaptive learning. If so I've had this for about about a year and a half.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
No problem. Not sure about the gauge? Could you post a picture? I bought the sct tuner I think it's called bdx. Tunes were free since I bought it through 5 star. Each time I bought something I bought it through them for a free updated tune or else it's like $65 a tune. For example I got my downpipe through them and they sent me a new tune with it.
PXL_20230910_212925938.MP.jpg
1694387379037.png

https://5startuning.com/product/201...-with-choice-of-5-star-custom-tunes-open-box/

I'm not sure if they sell the gauge separate or if it is even worth the bother, but it looks cool.

I have sent sales an email asking about it, will let you know.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1694387379037.png

https://5startuning.com/product/201...-with-choice-of-5-star-custom-tunes-open-box/

I'm not sure if they sell the gauge separate or if it is even worth the bother, but it looks cool.

I have sent sales an email asking about it, will let you know.
When I got my bdx the n gauge was a little dated and it says that it's discontinued but it also says there's 3 in stock? Yea definitely reach out on that one. It does look cool but not necessary usually you get one or the other.
Sponsored