Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Quality Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked my truck up after having the TSB accomplished. No change. My truck has a vibration at high speeds (80+), not “accelerating from a stop” like the TSB is supposed to address. The dealer didn’t hassle me at all about doing this under warranty. They also said one of my tires was slightly out of round but still within limits and balanced. I’m going out of town for the next few weeks but I’m going to have them revisit that tire when I get back. Sorry guys, I wish I had better news. Maybe this TSB will help you guys which the lower speed driveline vibrations.
Most of the low speed shudder issues occur when passing through 10 mph or so. Your conditions seems to be much different.

Do you still get the vibration when shifting into neutral?

Dan
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
You got to be kidding $400+ on sale for a set of shims! The TSB does seem to confirm the additional shim on the drivers side to level the back of the truck, that's been talked about elsewhere.
Wait a minute, to correct the common left side sag, more than the default .25" shim that's already there?

If there's an extra shim that comes with this, that's a great thing. can someone please clarify.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The TSB talks about removing and discarding the 6mm shim in the left side and using the thicker shims on the left side and the thinner shims on the right. This confirms the extra 6mm (1/4") shim on the left. The shim pack must have thicker shims for the left to compensate.

Andy Miller

First Name
Raymond Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Most of the low speed shudder issues occur when passing through 10 mph or so. Your conditions seems to be much different.

Do you still get the vibration when shifting into neutral?

Dan
The Ford tech and I thought it was worth a shot. It’s a similar problem, just in a different frequency range.

I have not tried shifting to neutral while going 85 on the interstate. let’s say I shift in to neutral and the vibration stops. What does that tell me? Would it just rule out the tires?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked my truck up after having the TSB accomplished. No change. My truck has a vibration at high speeds (80+), not “accelerating from a stop” like the TSB is supposed to address. The dealer didn’t hassle me at all about doing this under warranty. They also said one of my tires was slightly out of round but still within limits and balanced. I’m going out of town for the next few weeks but I’m going to have them revisit that tire when I get back. Sorry guys, I wish I had better news. Maybe this TSB will help you guys which the lower speed driveline vibrations.
Hi Andy,

The TSB does not address problems like you are experiencing. It would appear to be related to a driveline imbalance that manifests itself at high speed. The dealers have the capability to determine this being driveline related. The tech will have to determine the vibration frequency and from there can home in on the source. How intense is this vibration and where to you sense it? Steering wheel, Floor pan, ears Seats etc. Need to understand the order of the vibration. Order be referenced to either wheel speed or engine rpm. For example. Your vibration is 3.73 times the engine when the trans is in 1 to 1 with the engine...not overdrive. This implies driveline If it is twice engine rpm or 2nd order engine rpm, then it could be bound up engine mounts that can be neutralized or a bound up exhaust. Welcome to my world of NVH...very hard to diagnose in some cases.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Ogden Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Quality Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford tech and I thought it was worth a shot. It’s a similar problem, just in a different frequency range.

I have not tried shifting to neutral while going 85 on the interstate. let’s say I shift in to neutral and the vibration stops. What does that tell me? Would it just rule out the tires?
It's a way of determining if the issue is RPM related or speed related. RPM may indicate engine related and speed may be driveline.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I have had my truck a week and it has the vibration taking off from a stop. I mentioned this to a friend who does allot of 4x4 builds, he immediately suggested center bearing shimming. I told him this is a brand new truck completely stock Ranger Lariat FX4. I'm hoping the TSB is the cure.

Funny thing is my 94 Ranger 2wd had a similar issue when new that was resolved by dealer back in 1995. Didn't get an explaination, but I was happy with no vibration.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I took my Ranger in for the TSB work last Friday. The service writer who booked me in wanted to see if they had the part before he took "Bucky" off my hands, and I told him I was certain they did not have the part, as the service advisor I made the appointment with said they would have to "inspect and measure the truck to see if it qualified for the TSB". I told her that I was amazed that with the release of the TSB in mid-August and knowing that I was having the issue, they wouldn't have ordered the shim kit to have on hand. She said just bring it in. So I related that to the service writer, who shrugged and booked "Bucky" in. Within an hour, I got a call from the Service Drive manager, who asked if I was indeed having those issues listed in the TSB. This was the same guy who told me the truck was operating as designed in July. I assured I was having those issues, since the first day I had the vehicle, 87 days before. Interestingly, he did make the comment that he hoped the TSB resolved the issues - including the left side lower issue. I drove by the dealer yesterday and predictably, "Bucky" is parked in their lot and I haven't heard squat from them.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I have had my truck a week and it has the vibration taking off from a stop. I mentioned this to a friend who does allot of 4x4 builds, he immediately suggested center bearing shimming. I told him this is a brand new truck completely stock Ranger Lariat FX4. I'm hoping the TSB is the cure.

Funny thing is my 94 Ranger 2wd had a similar issue when new that was resolved by dealer back in 1995. Didn't get an explaination, but I was happy with no vibration.
I spent a fair bit of time researching this and your friend is correct with his suggestion.

The AU/EU market rear suspension does not have the same spacer shims and mounting plates as the NA market, So basically Ford raised the rear suspension for the NA market, but did not adjust the drive shaft angle to compensate for it. Thus they introduced the vibration we are experiencing by doing so. The solution the AU/EU market has for lifted trucks is a shim kit that lowers the center bearing, restoring the proper angle, and eliminating the vibration. The NA bearing setup is different so the AU kits won't work. Also the bolts on the NA models are only long enough to accommodate about 1/2" shims to be installed. This may be enough for some, where others may need thicker shims and have had to install longer bolts to support them. I installed shims on mine and have all but eliminated the vibration. After having 1/2" shims installed since mid July, I have found that there's still a very slight amount still present with mine, and will need to get longer bolts so I can safely install thicker shims.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I spent a fair bit of time researching this and your friend is correct with his suggestion.

The AU/EU market rear suspension does not have the same spacer shims and mounting plates as the NA market, So basically Ford raised the rear suspension for the NA market, but did not adjust the drive shaft angle to compensate for it. Thus they introduced the vibration we are experiencing by doing so. The solution the AU/EU market has for lifted trucks is a shim kit that lowers the center bearing, restoring the proper angle, and eliminating the vibration. The NA bearing setup is different so the AU kits won't work. Also the bolts on the NA models are only long enough to accommodate about 1/2" shims to be installed. This may be enough for some, where others may need thicker shims and have had to install longer bolts to support them. I installed shims on mine and have all but eliminated the vibration. After having 1/2" shims installed since mid July, I have found that there's still a very slight amount still present with mine, and will need to get longer bolts so I can safely install thicker shims.
So if the TSB fails to address the vibration, the next step is to shim the center bearing? I don't have a lot of faith they will even do the TSB for me.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
So if the TSB fails to address the vibration, the next step is to shim the center bearing? I don't have a lot of faith they will even do the TSB for me.
That's why I am waiting to see what others report back with about this. I am wanting to see if the dealerships are going to push back on the leveled trucks, as well as see if it actually fixes it. If not then I'll go get the longer bolts and make thicker shims for mine once I have identified the correct thickness needed for mine.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
That's why I am waiting to see what others report back with about this. I am wanting to see if the dealerships are going to push back on the leveled trucks, as well as see if it actually fixes it. If not then I'll go get the longer bolts and make thicker shims for mine once I have identified the correct thickness needed for mine.
I have an appt to get the TSB done on my truck in October. I am hoping some of you will already have this done so I have some idea of whether or not it fixes the vibration. By the way, my truck is stock...no lift kit.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 - Gots mods
Occupation
Network Engineer

1/2" shims? Your original post says you're at 1/8" shims.

I have the take off vibration but it's not 'bad'. After loosening the carrier bearing bolts and letting it settle a bit and re-tightening that helped some. Going to try the 1/8" shim as a test.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Each truck is going to be different as there's some variance to the actual rear ride heights. So starting out at 1/8" and making incremental changes every few days until the vibration is gone is the best way to go. I'm at 1/4" now with mine and there's just a hint of vibration, so 3/8 or 1/2" will probably be the right amount, but at 1/2" there's only a couple threads exposed on the top of the mount. That's a little too close to the end of the bolt for my liking so I will need to puck up a pair of longer bolts before I go any more than 1/4".
Sponsored