TSB 20-2277 2019-2020 Ranger - Shudder/Vibration When Accelerating From A Stop

TSB 20-2277 Poll

• Total voters

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Got my truck back today after third visit to dealership for shudder issue. TSB 20-2277 was rechecked, shudder is not gone but much better. Had them check out some other things as well. Front alignment was off a bit, they took care of that and now it steers nice and tight. Apparently Ford is still trying to figure how to solve the shudder, the tech tested four Rangers, all have some shudder, the loaner I had shuddered mildly as well. I have to say the service manger and crew did a good job communicating with me. It's nice not having chase people down.

Yea these guys sent two Rangers to Ford in 2019 with Shudder and nothing:

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/12/yeah-that-vibration-in-the-2019-ford-ranger-is-annoying.html
Sponsored

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
So I don't think that I have the shudder, but this truck makes all kinds of herks and jerks related to the trans that I'm not certain if I do or don't. Maybe the butt dyno needs recalibration. If I ask my service dept to address the TSB, will they do it without any physical evidence of the issue? And since it's "just a TSB and not a recall" (service dept voice), will they charge me for labor to do it? What's everyone's experience on these two items?

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I really like this truck and if it didn't have that shudder it would be great. I had a 94 Ranger 2wd 3.0V6 manual supercab and it had a shudder. The service manager for the dealership I bought it at lived near me, gave me his truck for a day and took mine in, when I got it back there was no shudder. I'm hoping Ford figures out something for this generation.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I don't think that I have the shudder, but this truck makes all kinds of herks and jerks related to the trans that I'm not certain if I do or don't. Maybe the butt dyno needs recalibration. If I ask my service dept to address the TSB, will they do it without any physical evidence of the issue? And since it's "just a TSB and not a recall" (service dept voice), will they charge me for labor to do it? What's everyone's experience on these two items?
I have not paid a dime for any of the troubleshooting and work performed on my truck. I bought mine on 9/5/20 and it is all covered under warranty. My truck is 100% stock so nothing to deal with as far as modifications.

I believe there is a separate TSB for the transmission shifting issues. I think some have had that work done with good results. My transmission shifts pretty good, every once in a while there is a goofy shift but there is no mind reader in that box. I had an 2010 Audi A4 that felt like I got back ended when coming to a quick stop, it took a couple of years for them to figure that one out.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I was quizzed about the shudder/vibration/shaking I felt, although I had taken the Ranger in 3x before. I was told they would not order the shim kit until they had measured my truck to see if it qualified. Of course, they said it was within specs and refused to do it. I went straight to the Sales manager and he got the shop foreman up there to talk to me. He said on one hand that the truck was within specs, but that my truck had the worst symptoms he had ever felt. He said that, to make me happy, they would do the TSB. I picked it up after it was done and the shudder was now at a different speed, but it was it was still there. Photos taken under the vehicle after were compared with the before photos and it was noted that they had only put shims in the leaf spring pack instead of following the directions that instructed them to remove the right side shim. Follow up from the dealer only came after I blasted them in a satisfaction survey from Ford. And they again said that until Ford told them what the fix was, they weren't going to do anything else for me.
Most likely they will tell you that you do not need the TSB.

Ogden Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Quality Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I was quizzed about the shudder/vibration/shaking I felt, although I had taken the Ranger in 3x before. I was told they would not order the shim kit until they had measured my truck to see if it qualified. Of course, they said it was within specs and refused to do it. I went straight to the Sales manager and he got the shop foreman up there to talk to me. He said on one hand that the truck was within specs, but that my truck had the worst symptoms he had ever felt. He said that, to make me happy, they would do the TSB. I picked it up after it was done and the shudder was now at a different speed, but it was it was still there. Photos taken under the vehicle after were compared with the before photos and it was noted that they had only put shims in the leaf spring pack instead of following the directions that instructed them to remove the right side shim. Follow up from the dealer only came after I blasted them in a satisfaction survey from Ford. And they again said that until Ford told them what the fix was, they weren't going to do anything else for me.
My truck behaved very much like yours with the shims installed. All i did was change the speed in which the shutter was felt. At the end of the day they tried just about every combination of the shims just to see if anything would work. Half the time (of all the experimental combinations) it introduced the high-speed vibration as well so we were going backwards. They chose the best shim combination (again, the Ford prescribed angle did not work so that's why they tried the combinations) of minimal shutter and without high speed vibration but at the end of the day I still have the shutter.

Dan

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
So at the end of the day, what Iā€™ve read by most on this thread, is that itā€™s fairly obvious. I was trying to make it happen around 10mph today and though I was feeling a bit of vibration, I think it was the trans at low rpm kind of chugging rather than the truck shaking. It was very subtle. I donā€™t think I have it, but Iā€™ll ask my dealer to look at it when I take it for an oil change on Saturday.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Mine definitely has the shudder/vibration when accelerating from a stop. I really wish it didn't, but based on the feedback from everyone in this gigantic thread who did take the time and trouble to get their truck into the dealer, it's not very likely at all that the TSB will resolve it. Add to that the fact that I've got Eibach coilovers installed up front to level the truck, and I expect they won't even try to look at my truck.

I just checked, and there are several driveline shops here in town... at some point I'll be annoyed enough with the shudder that I'll probably call around and see if any of them want to take a peek at it.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had the opportunity to drive my truck in stop and go today. The shudder seems to be the same as before I brought it in for the third time, not better. I think I wanted it to feel better. For shits and giggles I went out and did the measurements from the TSB and I got 0.3Ā° pinion angle. I did the measurements three times because I couldn't believe what I saw. It is supposed to be between 5Ā° to 6Ā° after zeroing out the angle gauge on the frame. Time to go to a different dealer. My original measurement was 4.7Ā° before the TSB was done.

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I recently had TSB 20-2277 applied and it completely resolved the shudder with my vehicle. Prior to having the TSB performed, using the procedure outlined in the TSB, the pinion angle measured 6.0*. It now measures 5.4*. The dealer installed the .5* shim.

20201025_085643.jpg

20201025_091557_01.jpg

!cid_a16a94b3-9cd8-4aad-92a6-52a44330b902.jpg

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
What is the cost? I thought Ford charged for a TSB to be completed.

VESH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4
Adding my situation to the thread

5500 miles now, this has happened twice - once at ~1,000 miles and once at ~5,400 miles following the same scenario. After some 4H beach driving and putting it back in 2H I was getting crazy vibrations at 65mph and over (tested to 85mph). These vibrations were felt through steering wheel, pedals, seat, floor, everywhere.. and were present on acceleration, breaking and cruising. Straight line and on curves. It was beyond an annoyance, it was non-drivable at those speeds.

This most recent time it was ā€˜solvedā€™ by turning the truck off for 5 minutes. Note just stopping truck while running didnā€™t ā€˜solveā€™ it. The first time it happened I drove all the way home at 60 then it was gone the next time I started the truck.

Is it possible 4H was still engaged despite dial saying 2H, and turning off truck reset it to 2H? Per manual 4H is selectable up to 68mph.

I have had zero vibrations in regular driving, and have gone 4H and 4L beach driving ~5 other times without issue

2019 supercrew fx4
35 psi
100% stock

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I continue to follow this thread as my truck still has the shudder after the TSB was done. What I find interesting is our pole on this thread shows that 43 owners out of the 61 who have reported have no shudder at all. I find this interesting, because several owners have reported that all of the dealer inventory they drove have the shudder. I have driven several at my dealer, and they all actually shudder worse than mine. I wonder what makes so many good and so many bad? Is it a supplier problem, a stack up of tolerence problem, an assembly problem, etc. I would like to think Ford is comparing "what is" and "what is not" on the shuddering vs the non shuddering. I guess we can always hope they will figure it out someday.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Weird, I thought this was a problem for only lifted Rangers? But I'm reading otherwise?

Had erratic shift problems and cold start shudders, but I did the other TSB regarding this and it squared it away. Matter of fact my gas mileage went up too. I have a 2.5 level, but no lift.

Only shift complaints I have now is Ford saying they dont do "recalibrations" for larger tires so my speedometer is accurate and my shift points are adjusted to reflect proper ratio. I didn't have time at the moment to roast the guy, but I plan to go back on Wednesday. This dealer installed the 33" tires I have before I even bought the truck.
Sponsored