First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I recently had TSB 20-2277 applied and it completely resolved the shudder with my vehicle. Prior to having the TSB performed, using the procedure outlined in the TSB, the pinion angle measured 6.0*. It now measures 5.4*. The dealer installed the .5* shim.

20201025_085643.jpg

20201025_091557_01.jpg

!cid_a16a94b3-9cd8-4aad-92a6-52a44330b902.jpg
Your experience gives me optimism that if the TSB is done correctly, a shudder free ride is possible. I am reaching out to another dealer tomorrow to have my 0.3° angle corrected that the tech put my truck at from his interpretation of the TSB.
Sponsored

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Your experience gives me optimism that if the TSB is done correctly, a shudder free ride is possible. I am reaching out to another dealer tomorrow to have my 0.3° angle corrected that the tech put my truck at from his interpretation of the TSB.
Prior to the TSB being performed, I asked to speak to the tech to discuss the TSB. I wanted to confirm he had a clear understanding of the TSB, how to measure the driveline angle using the procedure in the TSB, and had a calibrated digital inclinometer which is essential for the success of this procedure. The tech was very knowledgeable about measuring and correcting driveline angles as it pertained to this TSB.

Without all of the skills and tools previously mentioned the procedure will not be performed correctly.

PS: my truck is leveled

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I recently had TSB 20-2277 applied and it completely resolved the shudder with my vehicle. Prior to having the TSB performed, using the procedure outlined in the TSB, the pinion angle measured 6.0*. It now measures 5.4*. The dealer installed the .5* shim.

20201025_085643.jpg

20201025_091557_01.jpg

!cid_a16a94b3-9cd8-4aad-92a6-52a44330b902.jpg

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tmcolegr, thanks for sharing your info. How do you like your AccuMaster digital inclinometer? I am thinking of purchasing one to see if my dealer did my TSB correctly. Thanks for any info you can share.

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tmcolegr, thanks for sharing your info. How do you like your AccuMaster digital inclinometer? I am thinking of purchasing one to see if my dealer did my TSB correctly. Thanks for any info you can share.
One of the best digital inclinometers you can buy without spending a lot more $$$. I validated it's accuracy against one we use at work that cost 5K that we use for measuring propeller shaft angles on marine vessels and it was spot on for accuracy (+/-) .1°

Last edited:

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Best digital inclinometer you can buy without spending a lot more $$$. I validated it's accuracy against one we use at work that cost 5K that we use for measuring propeller shaft angles and it was spot on for accuracy (+/-) .1°
Thanks, tmcolegr. I will order one from Amazon now. I appreciate your information.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One of the best digital inclinometers you can buy without spending a lot more $$$. I validated it's accuracy against one we use at work that cost 5K that we use for measuring propeller shaft angles on marine vessels and it was spot on for accuracy (+/-) .1°
If I read the TSB correctly, the driveshaft angle should be between 5 and 6 degrees after shimming? I know yours is 5.4. but just wanted to make sure I am understanding the TSB correctly. You said yours was at 6 degrees before the TSB and was 5.4 after. Theoretically, your truck was within the the spec for driveshaft angle (although at the upper limit of 6 degrees). If you had shudder at 6 degrees, maybe Ford should change the angle they are shooting for. I don't know what mine was before or after for that matter. When I get my gage, I will be able to tell.

VESH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4
whats the chance it was debris like sand in your wheels?

i know shutting off the truck doesn't solve that, unless it all fell out in that period....just grasping at straws
otherwise, i suppose you could have a lagging shift problem
I couldn’t see anything around the wheels or drivetrain. Probably not related to the other issues in this thread but thought I’d throw my experience in in case others have had similar. Will mention to dealer when I next go in but not holding my breath for a solution

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If I read the TSB correctly, the driveshaft angle should be between 5 and 6 degrees after shimming? I know yours is 5.4. but just wanted to make sure I am understanding the TSB correctly. You said yours was at 6 degrees before the TSB and was 5.4 after. Theoretically, your truck was within the the spec for driveshaft angle (although at the upper limit of 6 degrees). If you had shudder at 6 degrees, maybe Ford should change the angle they are shooting for. I don't know what mine was before or after for that matter. When I get my gage, I will be able to tell.
The dealer said my angle was 5.4 degrees before I got them to do the TSB. They had been insisting it was just the "herky jerky" 10 speed and that it was operating as designed. I complained to the sales manager and they agreed to do the TSB "to make me happy". The result was 4.9 degrees and all it did was shift the shudder to a different speed range. They agree there is an issue but unless Ford finds (and more importantly, will pay for) the repair, they won't do anything else.

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best digital inclinometer you can buy without spending a lot more $$$. I validated it's accuracy against one we use
Yes, technically it was within the range of 5* to 6*. However, the dealer was willing to install the .5* shim to get the pinion angle as close as possible to the desired 5.25* which is optimal.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
My money’s on convertor issue like GM...
Might change the fluid in mine to see if there’s any change.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Prior to the TSB being performed, I asked to speak to the tech to discuss the TSB. I wanted to confirm he had a clear understanding of the TSB, how to measure the driveline angle using the procedure in the TSB, and had a calibrated digital inclinometer which is essential for the success of this procedure. The tech was very knowledgeable about measuring and correcting driveline angles as it pertained to this TSB.

Without all of the skills and tools previously mentioned the procedure will not be performed correctly.

PS: my truck is leveled
What is disappointing is I spoke with the service manager and technician on the phone and went through the TSB. I believed they understood it. I have my own digital angle gauge similar to yours and will continue to verify the work until the numbers are in spec.

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
My money’s on convertor issue like GM...
Might change the fluid in mine to see if there’s any change.
Now that I have 1500km on mine I still can’t decide what the issue is. A couple times when it was near freezing out. the first minute or so of slow speed driving coming out of my neighborhood, the shudder was unmistakable, meaning even the passenger noticed it.

Other times it’s more muted. Sometimes no shudder. Makes me think either tranny or low rpm engine tuning. Shudder happens around 15-1600rpm.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Now that I have 1500km on mine I still can’t decide what the issue is. A couple times when it was near freezing out. the first minute or so of slow speed driving coming out of my neighborhood, the shudder was unmistakable, meaning even the passenger noticed it.

Other times it’s more muted. Sometimes no shudder. Makes me think either tranny or low rpm engine tuning. Shudder happens around 15-1600rpm.
I think it is something other than the driveshaft angle causing it. On my truck, it is always there, but sometimes a lot worse than other times. I would think if it were the driveshaft angle it would be consistent.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I think it is something other than the driveshaft angle causing it. On my truck, it is always there, but sometimes a lot worse than other times. I would think if it were the driveshaft angle it would be consistent.
Sometimes I’ve noticed the same erratic behavior. Cold weather especially, start up and go it runs like crap. Let it warm up a bit and it’s fine. The TSB 2239 made a difference though.
Sponsored