"True North" Build

I nicknamed my truck "True North" - GM now has a True North edition Sierra in Canada - crap.

• Change the name immediately

• Hang my head in shame and keep the name

• Keep the name and hope no one notices

• Install a tailgate damper because everything's ruined now anyway

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Well Duke you can't even tell its the same truck. I mean that in a good way. Congratulations that is a gorgeous looking Truck :like:
Hey Greg,

Thanks a lot - it's a more dramatic change than I thought it would be. Do you think my wife will notice that I was doing more than just "putting new winter tires on the truck"?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Phase Two

Things are about to pick up again. Some large items have arrived, some small items have arrived - the best parts are in transit.

Remember when I said Pase Two "will include a few things that help a work truck do its job while looking a bit like an adventure rig"? Well, look what arrived by courier today...

IMG_1312.JPG

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
It just gets better every day - this just showed up...

03BB7291-80BE-400C-971A-3CF9FC0D3563.jpeg

That’s going to be a ridiculously expensive ladder rack, but man, it’s going to look like a million bucks! I’m getting pretty eager to get Phase Two underway but I still have to wait for a couple of deliveries.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Paragon Raptor-Style Grille

Well, the last item in Phase One of the True North build is now complete. The new Raptor-Style Grille went on at noon today and it really completes the look on a black truck with black wheels, canopy, drop steps, etc. No, I didn't install an LED kit - it's a work truck - just trying to keep things understated where I can.

So, that's it for a while - Phase Two will include a few things that help a work truck do its job while looking a bit like an adventure rig. Stay tuned!

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

Here's a little before and after pic...

IMG_1231.JPG
Wow, that is quite the transformation. Your hard work has certainly paid off! Looks terrific!

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that is quite the transformation. Your hard work has certainly paid off! Looks terrific!
Thanks so much Gary - I almost can't believe it myself - my neighbour thought I bought a newer, bigger truck. Some goodies from Rhino Rack have arrived. Just waiting for a couple more boxes and I'll begin Phase Two.

Last edited:

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Paragon Raptor-Style Grille

Well, the last item in Phase One of the True North build is now complete. The new Raptor-Style Grille went on at noon today and it really completes the look on a black truck with black wheels, canopy, drop steps, etc. No, I didn't install an LED kit - it's a work truck - just trying to keep things understated where I can.

So, that's it for a while - Phase Two will include a few things that help a work truck do its job while looking a bit like an adventure rig. Stay tuned!

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

Here's a little before and after pic...

IMG_1231.JPG
Sweet looking truck! Very nice work, mate.

Where did you buy your steps and grill in Canada? Love them.

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet looking truck! Very nice work, mate.

Where did you buy your steps and grill in Canada? Love them.
Thanks very much James - the Westin steps came from autoeq.ca and the grill came from Galaxy Auto via Amazon.

The steps looked a bit low before the level kit and bigger tires. Very happy with the end result.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
She's lookin good Duke !

And good deal on the tip for Action Truck and autoeq. , I've bookmarked for the future.

Cheers,
Ali

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
She's lookin good Duke !

And good deal on the tip for Action Truck and autoeq. , I've bookmarked for the future.

Cheers,
Ali
Thanks Ali - I appreciate it and I'm always happy to let others in Canada know where good deals can be had on accessories. I lived in the BC Lower Mainland and the Okanagan for 22 years. I sure wish I was there with this Ranger now - man, the places I would go!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Ali - I appreciate it and I'm always happy to let others in Canada know where good deals can be had on accessories. I lived in the BC Lower Mainland and the Okanagan for 22 years. I sure wish I was there with this Ranger now - man, the places I would go!
Hi Duke,

Love the little town of Chemainus. Wall murals are fantastic! Folks there are top drawer too!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Duke,

Love the little town of Chemainus. Wall murals are fantastic! Folks there are top drawer too!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I agree Phil - I've been there many times. Like so many small logging towns along the Vancouver Island coast, it struggled to survive after its mill closed. The murals were a direct effort to attract tourists.

The people just wouldn't give up on their small town or the quality of life it provided and it's now a thriving community. So, you really nailed it with your kind words about the folks there.

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
I agree Phil - I've been there many times. Like so many small logging towns along the Vancouver Island coast, it struggled to survive after its mill closed. The murals were a direct effort to attract tourists.

The people just wouldn't give up on their small town or the quality of life it provided and it's now a thriving community. So, you really nailed it with your kind words about the folks there.
Agree! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Phase Two

Every good work truck needs a rack to carry longer, lighter loads such as ladders, pipe, etc. But, all work and no play, makes a Ranger owner a dull boy!

I'm a contractor, but the last thing I want on my truck is a contractor's rack. I also need to get bikes, skis, kayaks and other gear up there when the extra room is needed. So, a few calls to Rhino Rack Canada and Hitchweb.com and I'm ready to go.

Should be a fun day!

IMG_1342.JPG

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform

Well, like a lot of mods or accessories, this install is better suited for help from an extra person - preferably someone who has done it before. The toughest part is figuring out just where to drill the holes in your expensive canopy. Second toughest is wrestling the platform on and off to dry-fit things before that moment of truth with your drill.

Hats off to Rhino Rack for good packaging, an easy install and a great design that offers a bit of forgiveness if your mounting legs aren't perfectly square.

Edited with better pics.

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

BA7458DC-0115-4CE7-B7B1-B246052094FA.jpeg

9D2627E3-BEE7-48AE-A620-604BC4018E48.jpeg

Tow Receiver Shackle

I hope I don't have to use it but I installed a 2" Tow Receiver Shackle in case I end up in a ditch full of snow. It sticks out enough that it will pierce someone's grille but not enough to serve as a step for accessing my new platform rack. Oh well, it's a good thing we have back-up cameras!

IMG_1574.JPG

Next up...

Rough Country Front Tow Hook Shackle Conversion Kit - sadly, it's on backorder. Hopefully, I'll have a mid-December project to post.

Last edited:

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform

Well, like a lot of mods or accessories, this install is better suited for help from an extra person - preferably someone who has done it before. The toughest part is figuring out just where to drill the holes in your expensive canopy. Second toughest is wresting the platform on and off to dry-fit things before that moment of truth with your drill.

Hats off to Rhino Rack for good packaging, an easy install and a great design that offers a bit of forgiveness if your mounting legs aren't perfectly square.

Tow Receiver Shackle

I hope I don't have to use it but I installed a 2" Tow Receiver Shackle in case I end up in a ditch full of snow. It sticks out enough that it will pierce someone's Grille but not enough to serve as a step for accessing my new platform rack. Oh well, it's a good thing we have back-up cameras!

View attachment 63495

View attachment 63496

View attachment 63497

That's it for now - the truck needs a bath and I need a beer.

Next up...

Rough Country Tow Hook Shackle Conversion Kit - sadly, it's on backorder. Hopefully, I'll have a mid-December project to post.
Nice looking Platform! I would have to grow 8” to use it myself. Your truck looks great!
Sponsored