iamtheodorei

iamtheodorei

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Supercrew FX2
Start by NOT installing a leveling kit. Your talking another $150 max and you can install adjustable shocks from Eibach. I think Bilstein has them for the Ranger also. You will not be perfectly level with a level kit.....I know that sounds silly....but true. The adjustable shocks will get you leveled and you will also have very upgraded front shocks. I would also install rear shocks to match and you will have a MUCH better riding Ranger. I've been doing this awhile, I know what I'm talking about.....lol ;)
Learn from our past mistakes....lol.
I will definitely look into that

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
iamtheodorei

iamtheodorei

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look thru other posts. You will see (IMO) that the No.1 change to a truck's overall appearance is tires and wheels. And maybe running boards.
See I took off the factory running boards because it made the truck look lower to the ground and it's not sitting high enough off the ground for me to really need them. I've seen those running boards that tuck under the truck. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
iamtheodorei

iamtheodorei

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on your objectives.. consider..
-improved lighting (baja designs etc)
-quality shocks
-better tires in similiar size and weight to ---stock (or pay the price in ride, acceleration, braking, fuel economy)
-interior floor liners
-bed power port
-ceramic paint coating

Have fun be objective!!
I'm working on lighting right now. Shocks I'm looking into. I'm interested in what you say about the tire and bed power port. I also have the liners and ceramic coating. I wanted to upgrade to 33s but i don't want them wide to the point of rubbing (trying to not trim anything). Any thoughts on that? Also elaborate on the bed power port, how do I do that?

jcru1017

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
Like others have said, it depends on what your goals are.

For staters, usually a leveling kit (2.0 coilover) and around 2” of lift will clear a nice 265/70/17 (small 32”) And eliminate rake. Generally, no modifications to crash bars and trimming.

Moderate upgrade would be like a 2.5 coilover and upper control arms. 33” tires but would require crash bar removal/modified crash bars depending on wheel offset

Advanced would be a long travel kit, 2.5 coilover, fenders and tires/wheels. 33” or bigger

Dpends on how much money you want to spend and your goals.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
I'm working on lighting right now. Shocks I'm looking into. I'm interested in what you say about the tire and bed power port. I also have the liners and ceramic coating. I wanted to upgrade to 33s but i don't want them wide to the point of rubbing (trying to not trim anything). Any thoughts on that? Also elaborate on the bed power port, how do I do that?
Wolfhaus make a simple high quality plug n play bed power port. Installs in under 5 mins to an existing connection.

https://whor.us/ The link is real..name is..well...

Id question the 33s unless you are going to drive where you really need the improvement off road. A tire this big brings alot of change-impact to the oem design and drive. You can pay alot and actually reduce overall performance to look a little cooler. My tremor came with 32s. Id personally not go bigger unless you have a true offroad need and want to design and spend the money to make all of the changes to run 33s, then be prepared for any issues that may occur based on those changes like reduced braking performance,, premature wear on CVs or other parts, and modifying or removing oem parts to simply make the tire fit during full suspension cycling with steering in all positions.

Before deciding on the tremor my plan was load range C 32s on stock wheels and fox shocks at OEM height.. Focused on function NOT glamour or looks. Will need to verify if a 32 fits with oem wheel with no rubbing in any condition.

Ive owned-modified and driven 5 different jeeps and toyotas on and off road .. have real world experience here...

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
See I took off the factory running boards because it made the truck look lower to the ground and it's not sitting high enough off the ground for me to really need them. I've seen those running boards that tuck under the truck. Any thoughts?
You mean the powered boards? Those are nice, but expensive, ~$1500

OP
OP
iamtheodorei

iamtheodorei

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wolfhaus make a simple high quality plug n play bed power port. Installs in under 5 mins to an existing connection.

https://whor.us/ The link is real..name is..well...

Id question the 33s unless you are going to drive where you really need the improvement off road. A tire this big brings alot of change-impact to the oem design and drive. You can pay alot and actually reduce overall performance to look a little cooler. My tremor came with 32s. Id personally not go bigger unless you have a true offroad need and want to design and spend the money to make all of the changes to run 33s, then be prepared for any issues that may occur based on those changes like reduced braking performance,, premature wear on CVs or other parts, and modifying or removing oem parts to simply make the tire fit during full suspension cycling with steering in all positions.

Before deciding on the tremor my plan was load range C 32s on stock wheels and fox shocks at OEM height.. Focused on function NOT glamour or looks. Will need to verify if a 32 fits with oem wheel with no rubbing in any condition.

Ive owned-modified and driven 5 different jeeps and toyotas on and off road .. have real world experience here...
To follow up on your point with big wheels. I have kinda drifted towards smaller tires but wider. Like a 31x12 on stock wheels with 1 inch spacers all around. Do you think that could fit on just a leveling kit and no trimming? I really like low and wide trucks that's the look I wan to go for. My truck has seen mud before but I don't go offroading enough to really NEED 33s and it definitely isn't worth dealing with that damage and lack of breaking. Let me know what you think. Maybe even 31x11 or 11.5.

OP
OP
iamtheodorei

iamtheodorei

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like others have said, it depends on what your goals are.

For staters, usually a leveling kit (2.0 coilover) and around 2” of lift will clear a nice 265/70/17 (small 32”) And eliminate rake. Generally, no modifications to crash bars and trimming.

Moderate upgrade would be like a 2.5 coilover and upper control arms. 33” tires but would require crash bar removal/modified crash bars depending on wheel offset

Advanced would be a long travel kit, 2.5 coilover, fenders and tires/wheels. 33” or bigger

Dpends on how much money you want to spend and your goals.
I asked someone else this same question but do you think 31x12 or 11.5 or 11 would fit with stock wheels 1 inch spacer and no trimming?

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
To follow up on your point with big wheels. I have kinda drifted towards smaller tires but wider. Like a 31x12 on stock wheels with 1 inch spacers all around. Do you think that could fit on just a leveling kit and no trimming? I really like low and wide trucks that's the look I wan to go for. My truck has seen mud before but I don't go offroading enough to really NEED 33s and it definitely isn't worth dealing with that damage and lack of breaking. Let me know what you think. Maybe even 31x11 or 11.5.

Keep asking yourself WHY. Know your purpose and test your thinking.

Ive no odea about the math and articulation impact of a 1 inch spacer and a specific tire combo. Staying simple can save you in the long run and provide excellent performance. There are great-premium tires in sizes that fit-perform well Oon your truck without mods to suspension range of movement steering and clearance.

If you decide to modify be dilligent, do ALL the math, and know- commit to your end game. Othrrwise youll have an unfolding mystery project with twist turns and unknown outcomes and $$.

OP
OP
iamtheodorei

iamtheodorei

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep asking yourself WHY. Know your purpose and test your thinking.

Ive no odea about the math and articulation impact of a 1 inch spacer and a specific tire combo. Staying simple can save you in the long run and provide excellent performance. There are great-premium tires in sizes that fit-perform well Oon your truck without mods to suspension range of movement steering and clearance.

If you decide to modify be dilligent, do ALL the math, and know- commit to your end game. Othrrwise youll have an unfolding mystery project with twist turns and unknown outcomes and $$.
That's why I'm asking around about tire fitment because I want to make sure that I know it will fit before I commit to something that big. I was talking to the lead Service Technician over at Ford the other day and he was telling me that 1 inch spacers will be perfect. It won't really impact my truck to the point of damage or bad geometry. I wish I was able to go to a tire shop and ask them to fit a bunch of tires on the truck and see what fits.

jcru1017

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
I asked someone else this same question but do you think 31x12 or 11.5 or 11 would fit with stock wheels 1 inch spacer and no trimming?
Honestly, I am not too sure. Stock wheel width is 7.5 to 8”. That’s almost 3 inches wider than the wheel. You could probably do a aftermarket wheel with similar offset to stock.

What I suggest is just keep searching for a wheel/tire combo on someone’s truck that you like and see how it worked for them. Then imitate it. That’s what I did.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
You're good dude...they should pay you... ?
Sid, as I understand it his GF "pays" him no attention. Is that close to the same? :giggle:

OP
OP
iamtheodorei

iamtheodorei

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, I am not too sure. Stock wheel width is 7.5 to 8”. That’s almost 3 inches wider than the wheel. You could probably do a aftermarket wheel with similar offset to stock.

What I suggest is just keep searching for a wheel/tire combo on someone’s truck that you like and see how it worked for them. Then imitate it. That’s what I did.
I've been doing that and I keep finding build I really like but they keep trimming. I saw one person had pushed the crash bars, how does that work? And yeah Ideally I want a 20x12 wheel with -25 offset on 32x11.5 tires. But I was thinking I could probably fit a 20x11/10 wheel with closer to -40ish offset on 32/11/10 tire. I'm also looking towards Toyo Proxes and other tires of that type, so not bulky offroad tires. That should also save me some room.
Sponsored