Ranger From the North

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
Alright I suppose it's time to start one of these Build journals so I can document some of the things I've done to the pickup and some of the things I'd like to do in the future. It's name is Ranger from the North or Aragorn( Lord of the Rings nerd here). I had been driving a 2006 Scion xA since I bought it brand new in that year until the summer of 2020. With 250,000 miles ticked over and a few pennies saved decided the time was right to get me a new car. We decided recently that it was a good decision the way the auto market has skyrocekted in the past year. I picked out a 2019 silver XLT with 302a package and the FX4 off road package. After driving this truck for a year I'm still pumped about it and the things I want to do with it in the future.

IMG_20210612_115446.jpg

So I guess this is where I list the things I've done to it so far:
  1. Icon Stage 1 suspension kit - man am I happy with this purchase. Completely changes the way the truck handles. I love it.
  2. Bushwacker rocker panel covers
  3. DIY welded rock slider/sidesteps (I'll cover in a seperate post)
  4. Redarc trailer brake controller
  5. USB 12volt outlet uprgrade
  6. Oddball bedrug splice from a 2006 Ford F-250 longbed! (Temporary)
  7. Small areas of Paint Protection Film (would like to get the precut kits for a few areas in the future)
Things that I'd like to get done in future:
  1. DIY bed topper (in progress, I'll cover in a separate post)
  2. Icon progressive Leaf pack
  3. bigger tires (keeping the sport metallic wheels, already have a fifth wheel ready for upgrades)
  4. DIY rear bumper?
  5. Shrockworks front winch bumper
  6. DIY drawer setup in bed for camping
I haven't decided if I'll go the rooftop tent route yet. I plan on building a roof rack on my topper but I already have a nice ground tent and I'm not sure whether the RTT will be necessary. It can always be added later.

A few glamour shots:
IMG_20210521_060252.jpg

IMG_20210513_171837.jpg

Man I love this truck!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluestem

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
So I knew when I got the RN (that's Ranger from the North from here on out) I wanted to set it up for some offroad adventuring. We travel out west most years and have always pulled our little camper with our Ram 2500 full cab full box. It's a great truck but it's size really limits the places you can go. Turning around when the forest road just gets good is no fun!

So I knew I wanted to modify the pickup for camping and light offroad travel. Rock sliders were on the list, my XLT FX4 with the 302a package didn't come with sidesteps so there wasn't anything to replace. I am by no means a pro welder but I can stick 2 pieces of metal together pretty well and steel was still relatively cheap back in winter and the prices for rock sliders from the usual suspects seemed a bit steep.

I wasn't particularly drawn to the round tube sliders and wanted something that was more of a step as well for my daughter to climb in the back seat. I had some 2" 3/16" wall square tubing laying around and thought 2 chucks of 2"x4" 1/8" wall rectanglur tubing would do the trick.
IMG_20210312_093805.jpg

IMG_20210313_142142.jpg
IMG_20210313_051428.jpg

The hardest part was making sure everything lined up with the frame. Both frame rails pitch in toward the center of the truck in the front so the mounting legs are not all the same length. This took me a bit of time to get lined up and looking the way I wanted it. Once I figured out the first side the other tricky part was making the other side look close to the same! I'm sure they're off a bit but you can't see both sides of the truck at the same time so who cares. I welded mine to the frame, I don't see myself selling RN anytime soon so I'm not worried about removing them.

I decided to try out some Raptor coating for the finished product. I've never used it but it was pretty simple. I have a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP paint gun along with a Schutt style spray gun for applying fluid film undercoating so I went with the 2 part epoxy. I used the HVLP gun for the primer and the Schutt gun for the Raptor coating, I had enough product to do several coats of each. The whole process was pretty easy.

IMG_20210521_060320.jpg

I think they turned out pretty darn nice. I figure they cost me 250 bucks in steel, and maybe 100 bucks in Raptor Coating. It obviously took me time but these are things I enjoy doing and learning so it's definitely worth it to me.

IMG_20210521_060302.jpg

IMG_20210521_060252.jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So I knew when I got the RN (that's Ranger from the North from here on out) I wanted to set it up for some offroad adventuring. We travel out west most years and have always pulled our little camper with our Ram 2500 full cab full box. It's a great truck but it's size really limits the places you can go. Turning around when the forest road just gets good is no fun!

So I knew I wanted to modify the pickup for camping and light offroad travel. Rock sliders were on the list, my XLT FX4 with the 302a package didn't come with sidesteps so there wasn't anything to replace. I am by no means a pro welder but I can stick 2 pieces of metal together pretty well and steel was still relatively cheap back in winter and the prices for rock sliders from the usual suspects seemed a bit steep.

I wasn't particularly drawn to the round tube sliders and wanted something that was more of a step as well for my daughter to climb in the back seat. I had some 2" 3/16" wall square tubing laying around and thought 2 chucks of 2"x4" 1/8" wall rectanglur tubing would do the trick.
IMG_20210312_093805.jpg

IMG_20210313_142142.jpg
IMG_20210313_051428.jpg

The hardest part was making sure everything lined up with the frame. Both frame rails pitch in toward the center of the truck in the front so the mounting legs are not all the same length. This took me a bit of time to get lined up and looking the way I wanted it. Once I figured out the first side the other tricky part was making the other side look close to the same! I'm sure they're off a bit but you can't see both sides of the truck at the same time so who cares. I welded mine to the frame, I don't see myself selling RN anytime soon so I'm not worried about removing them.

I decided to try out some Raptor coating for the finished product. I've never used it but it was pretty simple. I have a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP paint gun along with a Schutt style spray gun for applying fluid film undercoating so I went with the 2 part epoxy. I used the HVLP gun for the primer and the Schutt gun for the Raptor coating, I had enough product to do several coats of each. The whole process was pretty easy.

IMG_20210521_060320.jpg

I think they turned out pretty darn nice. I figure they cost me 250 bucks in steel, and maybe 100 bucks in Raptor Coating. It obviously took me time but these are things I enjoy doing and learning so it's definitely worth it to me.

IMG_20210521_060302.jpg

IMG_20210521_060252.jpg
So, am I the only one who wants a set of these?

Chris, if someone is gonna make their own rock sliders/steps and their own bumper, I’m definitely following their build. Those sliders look pretty stout. Keep going man, I’ll be right here watching the fun.

3F8132FC-15A0-4D95-942A-4637E14A1A1D.gif

Oh, one other thing….North? Seriously? Sure, to my friends in TX, AZ, NM, and CA, maybe but come on. ?

Keep building!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey it's not the Great white North but it's defintely north of plenty!
Yep, north of most and darn near north of Toronto.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
WHY CAN'T A MANUFACTURER JUST MAKE A PAIR OF RAILS LIKE ABOVE?? I would buy in a heartbeat, they make them so ugly looking and weak.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Amazing build! Congratulations!!!

OP
OP
Bluestem

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
It's taken me awhile but I can cross DIY bed cap off the list. I still have a few minor things to finish up but they can wait till it's a few degrees above freezing to wrap up. I need to figure out a better way to seal the back hatch against the top of the tailgate. I need to install the third brake light on the back hatch (and possibly a window). I busted a tap off in one of the side hatch hinge holes (need to get a tap extractor), and I need to order the 8020 extrusion pieces for the roof rack.

I started off just building the frame and mocking things up as I went. I had a plan in mind, basically following the methods of Ripcord over on Tacomaworld. There were a couple things about that design I didn't like though and a few things I wanted to add.
IMG_20210606_080245.jpg
IMG_20210531_141134.jpg

The first thing I changed was the way the side hatch would seal against the frame. Ripcord basically sealed the hatch against the frame rails that were flush with the bedrail which required a larger bulbseal, it seemed like a few people weren't getting a good seal all the way around as well. So I decided to box in the frame rails so that the sides of the frame were flat. It's kind of hard to see. After I had that figured out I made sure everything was square and welded everything up.

IMG_20210607_054355.jpg

Next was the mounts for the side windows, all the hatches and the roof rack. I drew up some rails for the roof rack quick on qcad and had send, cut, send make them. I don't have access to much more than a welder and I wanted these to look nice.

IMG_20210809_054612.jpg

IMG_20210717_092539.jpg

We have 2 dogs and a kid for some trips and wanted to be able to have the dogs ride in back so a front bulkhead window was necessary. I picked up an old crappy topper off Facebook for 75 bucks and pulled the window out of it and fabricated a few pieces of 1/8" plate to make a frame for it.

IMG_20211106_135138.jpg

The side hatches and windows were the hardest part of this whole thing. Trying to figure out spacing for seals and hinges and gas struts and frames took me fair bit of time. The hatches and roof are made from aluminum composite panels, 1/4" for the hatches and 1/8" for the roof.

IMG_20210829_114809.jpg

20210912_150357.jpg

I bought some used Ford rear window hinges they use in the extended cabs to allow my rear windows to pop open.

20210912_135414.jpg

I wanted to try and match the magnetic trim of my pickup for the color on all the hatches and roof. I went with Avery Denison sw900 matte charcoal colored vinyl wrap. I figured if they get all scratched up I can just pull the panels and replace it. It's definitely not a perfect match but it's close.

IMG_20211219_111205.jpg

Then it was the final stretch putting it all together. I think it turned out pretty nice.

IMG_20211226_070847.jpg

IMG_20220101_115814.jpg

IMG_20220101_115845.jpg

Some things I would change. I would probably use thinner wall square tube for the frame. I went 1/8" and it's overkill and kind of heavy. I have the ability to weld aluminum now and I have it in my head to make a new frame out of aluminum to save a bunch of weight. Probably won't happen anytime soon but definitely doable, this one took me the better part of 6 months to finish.

OP
OP
Bluestem

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
Yeah they were low, I don't remember what they were at. I hadn't added any since it got cold here in N. Illinois.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's taken me awhile but I can cross DIY bed cap off the list. I still have a few minor things to finish up but they can wait till it's a few degrees above freezing to wrap up. I need to figure out a better way to seal the back hatch against the top of the tailgate. I need to install the third brake light on the back hatch (and possibly a window). I busted a tap off in one of the side hatch hinge holes (need to get a tap extractor), and I need to order the 8020 extrusion pieces for the roof rack.

I started off just building the frame and mocking things up as I went. I had a plan in mind, basically following the methods of Ripcord over on Tacomaworld. There were a couple things about that design I didn't like though and a few things I wanted to add.
IMG_20210606_080245.jpg
IMG_20210531_141134.jpg

The first thing I changed was the way the side hatch would seal against the frame. Ripcord basically sealed the hatch against the frame rails that were flush with the bedrail which required a larger bulbseal, it seemed like a few people weren't getting a good seal all the way around as well. So I decided to box in the frame rails so that the sides of the frame were flat. It's kind of hard to see. After I had that figured out I made sure everything was square and welded everything up.

IMG_20210607_054355.jpg

Next was the mounts for the side windows, all the hatches and the roof rack. I drew up some rails for the roof rack quick on qcad and had send, cut, send make them. I don't have access to much more than a welder and I wanted these to look nice.

IMG_20210809_054612.jpg

IMG_20210717_092539.jpg

We have 2 dogs and a kid for some trips and wanted to be able to have the dogs ride in back so a front bulkhead window was necessary. I picked up an old crappy topper off Facebook for 75 bucks and pulled the window out of it and fabricated a few pieces of 1/8" plate to make a frame for it.

IMG_20211106_135138.jpg

The side hatches and windows were the hardest part of this whole thing. Trying to figure out spacing for seals and hinges and gas struts and frames took me fair bit of time. The hatches and roof are made from aluminum composite panels, 1/4" for the hatches and 1/8" for the roof.

IMG_20210829_114809.jpg

20210912_150357.jpg

I bought some used Ford rear window hinges they use in the extended cabs to allow my rear windows to pop open.

20210912_135414.jpg

I wanted to try and match the magnetic trim of my pickup for the color on all the hatches and roof. I went with Avery Denison sw900 matte charcoal colored vinyl wrap. I figured if they get all scratched up I can just pull the panels and replace it. It's definitely not a perfect match but it's close.

IMG_20211219_111205.jpg

Then it was the final stretch putting it all together. I think it turned out pretty nice.

IMG_20211226_070847.jpg

IMG_20220101_115814.jpg

IMG_20220101_115845.jpg

Some things I would change. I would probably use thinner wall square tube for the frame. I went 1/8" and it's overkill and kind of heavy. I have the ability to weld aluminum now and I have it in my head to make a new frame out of aluminum to save a bunch of weight. Probably won't happen anytime soon but definitely doable, this one took me the better part of 6 months to finish.
Hi Chris,

Great job! Very nice....

Your right about 1/8" being overkill and heavy... What is with all the Tidy Cat containers??? Cat crap a lot???

Best,
Phil

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

IMG_20210606_080245.jpg
IMG_20210531_141134.jpg

IMG_20210607_054355.jpg

IMG_20210809_054612.jpg

IMG_20210717_092539.jpg

IMG_20211106_135138.jpg

IMG_20210829_114809.jpg

20210912_150357.jpg

20210912_135414.jpg

IMG_20211219_111205.jpg

IMG_20211226_070847.jpg

IMG_20220101_115814.jpg

IMG_20220101_115845.jpg

This looks amazing!

OP
OP
Bluestem

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
Hi Chris,

Great job! Very nice....

Your right about 1/8" being overkill and heavy... What is with all the Tidy Cat containers??? Cat crap a lot???

Best,
Phil
Hey Phil, we definitely have cats (that do crap, I would say a normal amount). My wife is a potter so she uses the empty litter containers to store scrap clay while shes making mugs, and bowls and plastes and such. I rifled through her stash and stole them for stands!

OP
OP
Bluestem

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
It's been awhile since I've updated my build. Seems like a good thing to get caught up on while I watch golf. I had a list of things I wanted to get wrapped up before we went to Utah on vacation back at the end of May. The roof rack needed to be finished. I was planning on using 80/20 but went with Tnutz instead, the price was much cheaper and the shipped in a few days instead the 4-6 week wait from 80/20. I don't have great pictures of the setup but I just ordered 5 1"x2" pieces and cut them to length myself(my cap isn't square it tappers toward the back so each piece was a different length), then tapped the ends. The side rails I had made by sendcutsend lined up perfectly with end profiles of the aluminum extrusion. I'll try to take some pictures of the setup.

I borrowed my brothers 12 volt fridge so I threw together a quick drawer slide for the back. I have a marine plug setup from the factory harness to power the fridge. Nothing fancy just a piece of plywood, some slides and trim. It's nice for groceries as well!

slide.jpg

The last thing that needed to be done to the topper was a 3rd brake light. I ordered on from amazon for cheap, maybe 15 bucks and just tapped into the brake lights at the back of the truck. I followed the process that BcP28 wrote up. It works perfect.

Brake Light.jpg

I don't have any lights or accessories set up in the topper yet, those will be added eventually.

OP
OP
Bluestem

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I wasn't confident in the stock Hankook SL tires on the truck for off roading and wanted to either new tires or buy a whole new set of wheels and tires for trips. I don't mind the Hankooks for daily driving so i will definitely use them up. I was keeping a eye open for a set of steelies and some Bronco black steelies turned up with General Grabbers on them. I couldn't pass up the deal, 800 bucks for the set of 5 with TPMS sensors in all.

5-7-22-1.jpg

They ran great, and actually I haven't taken them off yet. I like the way they fell on the road as well. I have noticed a hit in mpgs though. I compared the weight of these next to the Hankooks on the magnetic sport wheels and they were 18lbs more a piece. If I remember right these where 68lbs a piece.

OP
OP
Bluestem

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
The last thing I wanted to get set up was a winch. I have had my eye on the Schrockworks low profile winch bumper for a long time but I just didn't want to pay for it(all my money went to suspension parts). I really don't have a problem with the stock bumper and came across Overlandish Rangers Instagram post on making his own winch plate.

It seemed pretty straight forward so I went to Harbor Freight and grabbed the winch and plate and got to work.

winch plate fab 1.jpg

The universal plate from HF definitely needs to be modified to be used in the Ranger but some cutting, grinding and welding made if fit pretty well.

winch plate fab 2.jpg

I did end up having to trim the silver plastic trim piece that covers the bottom of the bumper but no biggy. I think it turned out pretty well. The winch controller needs to be remotely mounted as there is not enough room for it in the space between the frame rails. I put it behind the bumper on the passenger side next to the windshield fluid tank.

winch complete.jpg

We didn't need the winch on vacation but it's certainly something that gives you piece of mind out in the back country. I have used it to drag a few trees of our fence line around or ag fields though. Defenitely a nice addition.
Sponsored