First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Marine Surveyor
if the paint isn't damaged - they could pop most or all of those of those dents.
But that is definitely not damage from a strap.
Only wheels get strapped - nothing else. (maybe at tow hooks)

If it drove into a low bar or ramp you'd see scratches leading up to end at the dent.
So my guess is that's from a padded crossbar from a multi level car hauler set too low and the truck bounced up into it - or from a garage door lowered onto it.

Normally those repair claims are pre dealer and resolved before dealer delivery - so it's likely on the last leg of the journey that this happened at dealer arrival. Heck - they could have dropped a door on it when bringing it in to detail / store it for your arrival.

Definitely get a 3rd party repair quote and get an appropriate "accessory" or discount.
It's 100% not your actual problem.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
IT
Heck, I'd keep that if with the dealer/transport company footing the repair bill, and not making payments until you take ownership after the repair. I'm not sure a good body shop couldn't massage those dents out with some heat and elbow grease, at worst it's a new roof panel, and it is a hell of a lot easier to blend a paint repair in on a roof than it is on the side of a car. Likely it will never be reported as a repair, since it happened in transit, to something like Carfax.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well, my 2023 Tremor arrived at the dealership yesterday... But the roof is damaged (dented / scraped).
Happened to me with the delivery of my 2019. It was being shipped from two states over on the top of the carrier with the tailgate to the wind. At highway speed, the wind got under the tonneau cover and peeled it back where the end whacked the top of the cab, putting a small dent and scuff on the roof and destroying the antenna.

There are few sinking feelings like after anticipating the call from the dealer all day to tell you that your brand-new truck has arrived only to have the first words being "Your truck is here, but there's a problem".

I was depressed. This was the first brand-new vehicle I'd ever purchased. It should have been perfect and it was already damaged before I ever saw it. (I think my wife was more upset for me over it than I was, God love her!)

The damage was not bad. The dent on the side of the roof was barely noticeable. You never would have known that the scuffing on the top had happened had they not told you. The antenna could easily be swapped.

1682367297080.jpeg

The dealer really wanted me to be happy since they really didn't want to be stuck with a 4X4 SuperCab that would have to be sold as "used" in a land that mostly wanted FX4 CrewCabs. My emotions said "Start Over", but I had already gotten a really good deal on my '19 SuperCab Lariat. They ended up taking $3,000 off, plus I was able to sell the tonneau cover to the service manager who also owned a SuperCab. The repair work only took a few days and was fine and I soon forgot about it.

The only mistake I made was taking delivery before the antenna was replaced. The dealer placed an order for a replacement but since the Ranger was still brand new, replacement parts were still not flowing down the chain. So I was without my satellite radio for the first few months. Had I been a bit smarter, I would have refused delivery until that was fixed, and they would have just pulled an antenna off another Ranger on the lot just to get the deal done and over with.

Of course, about a week later, someone put a dent in the tailgate at the Costco. That I still get to look at since I wasn't about to drop $600 to fix it. My wife says, "It's a truck. If it's not getting beat up then you're not getting your money out of it." She's right.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my 2023 Tremor arrived at the dealership yesterday... But the roof is damaged (dented / scraped). My rep seems to think it was strapped down incorrectly, or something. They are offering to have their body shop repair the truck as new. But... I have a few concerns...

1.) I already have financing and x plan pricing on the truck... so I am not sure if they will even offer any kind of discount, service package, accessories, etc. I didn't finance the truck through them, either. But I have done a fair amount of business with them in the past. Should I ask for any compensation? Is that out of line?

2.) Based on quick "Google" searches, this can be fairly common. The rep said they are seeing more of it due to poorly trained workers (within transportation). Sometimes the cars are repaired, and then sold without anyone really knowing? Wild!

3.) She mentioned this possibly showing up on a Carfax in the future. THAT would bother me. Does that make sense? Is that just based on who reports the damage / repair? I am guessing its because the transport company insurance is going to pay for the repairs. I really, REALLY don't like the idea of that.

4.) I waited 3 months for the truck, I really want / need the truck (or a truck), and its not like I can order another 2023 at this point. I am "kind of" stuck.
I think they'd be wise to comp the repair and pay you for got getting a factory spec truck.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
The last three mustangs we purchased all had a little hail ding looking dent in the rear deck lid in exactly the same spot. We assume it must be a shipping issue.

ranger 2020

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020ranger 22 Ecosport 21 Honda PCX
Occupation
retired
Compared to some things I've seen over the years, let them repair it & carry on. While working at a GM dealer in the late 70's we had a sold Cadillac Eldo come off the truck. Was triple black. The Eldo had a very square roofline. This thing looked like a sportsroof. Car got refused, & was picked up about a week later. Never heard what happened to it. Worst one tho was in the winter of 1988. Driver was unloading a new Tempo 4dr sedan. ramp supports came out & the car fell to the ground. On the drivers side. driver was shook up a bit, otherwise OK. That car got scraped.
Sponsored