First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
IF the 2023 Tacoma gets its own 4 banger turbo, it will be fun reading the gnashing of teeth at TacomaWorld

Hope the rumors are true cuz it'll be some fun watching their heads explode!:angry:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
T
Hope the rumors are true cuz it'll be some fun watching their heads explode!:angry:

Toyota will definitely beef up the Tacoma engine with new gen Tacoma.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
T

Toyota will definitely beef up the Tacoma engine with new gen Tacoma.
They have to do something to it,I can't believe they haven't already. I think you've been on TW and have seen all their bashing of the Rangers 4cyl. Can't wait to see them try to justify it when it's in a Tacoma. lol

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota will have to play catch-up now, but I'm wondering what they'll do & how they'll do it. Maybe buy a Ranger, strip it & then reverse-engineer the system? New 10 speed automatic also?

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer

...video...
Interesting video. I like the way they talk about the 3.5L NA V6 possibly becoming the base engine and the turbo 4cyl being the upgrade! Talk about heads exploding ;)

They do bring up the Ranger a lot, so like I mentioned previously, Ford has really been breaking the ice on small-displacement turbo and that might make it a little easier for other manufacturers to catch up. It won't eliminate all of the exploding heads, though :devil:

They also bring up the high level of tunability, something we already have available to us with 5-Star and others.

All in all, Ford has really jumped out ahead of the curve here, but the others aren't going to stand still, so their job will be to stay ahead of the curve. Whether that means a 2.7L turbo V6 option, or a turbo/hybrid combo option for better city FE, don't know, but they've definitely lit a fire under the mid-size truck market and hopefully will stay ahead of it.

EDIT: You can tell the guys in the video get it and kind of want to accept the future, but you can still see a little reluctance.

"Taco Tuesday", LOL...

Last edited:

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Tacoma sold 74,000 trucks in the first quarter. I doubt they are worried about the Ranger this time, The Tacoma fan base is strong and to the point where they make excuses for the 3rd gens issues while dispising the Ranger,
Sept sales dropped on the Tacoma from what I read.. I am not sure why? Maybe Ranger sold well. People are looking at 2020 Tacoma's now..
People are trading in on the 2020 Taco providing more used Tacos to buy..

Personally I do not get the hate between truck owners,
Who cares what someone else drives it affects the person zero..
I never understood people trying to make someone feel bad because they purchased something different than you.. Who cares it is so childish.
It either means someone is jealous or they are trying to justify their purchase..

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sept sales dropped on the Tacoma from what I read.. I am not sure why? Maybe Ranger sold well. People are looking at 2020 Tacoma's now..

I never understood people trying to make someone feel bad because they purchased something different than you.. Who cares it is so childish.
It either means someone is jealous or they are trying to justify their purchase..
If you read this thread on a Lexus forum, just about all auto companies had lower sales. Seems the sales/lease bubble has burst.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/928535-sept-2019-sales-thread.html

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I'm not surprised. A 4 cyl turns off many.
While this is true, it is clearly due to ignorance on the part of both buyer and seller.
Many years ago pickups with I-6CYLs turned off many who were convinced that a V8 was the only viable option.
Clearly wrong, since the 300 CI 6CYL was superior for light truck application.
Then came the V6 which generally narrowed the margin... people hated the V6.
Over time the V6 gained in popularity even though the only real advantage was its compact design.
Now (Somehow) the V6 has pretty much usurped the place of the V8, with the I-4 being eschewed in spite of its superior suitability for many applications.
If the Ranger fails it will not be the fault of the 2.3 Ecoboost, but rather its size.
Ford built what should have been called an F-100 (almost full sized) and pawned it off as a Ranger.
They are now going to have to work extra hard to sell it to a whole new set of buyers who must compromise up or down in size.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
v6 is a terrible choice for a truck engine, popular only because the manufacturers like that they can use the same engine for fwd applications. if choosing based on what's best for rwd truck, we'd see i6 instead of v6.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
It's been a slow year in general for car sales. Rangers and Gladiators could only go up because they started from zero. That doesn't mean they didn't take some sales away from the others, they did. The market is now divided between more players and it's more or less a zero sum game.

I haven't seen too much hate or dissing, at least not the majority of posts here, though there are always a few. People do have preferences, though many have pointed out that they all have their good points and bad points.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
As a recently retired Diesel and Automotive mechanic, not technician, for the past 40+ years, I have seen and heard pretty much all sides of the industry change. Anything that is first introduced is almost always frowned upon due to lack of experience. When i started working on city transit buses, the state of the art was a 6V71 NA 6 cyl. 2 cycle diesel. Then we got our first 6V92 Turbo after cooled 6 cyl. 2 cycle diesel. These things screamed like chain saws but maxed out around 2200 rpm. Probably why i have Tinnitus today. These were all mechanical fuel injected and timed. When they began to integrate Electronic injection we thought it would not last. Now almost all heavy Diesel engines and transmissions are controlled by ECUs. as are automotive power trains. Technology progresses at a faster rate than the people who work on them can keep up. The learning curve is always a little bit behind.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As a recently retired Diesel and Automotive mechanic, not technician, for the past 40+ years, I have seen and heard pretty much all sides of the industry change. Anything that is first introduced is almost always frowned upon due to lack of experience. When i started working on city transit buses, the state of the art was a 6V71 NA 6 cyl. 2 cycle diesel. Then we got our first 6V92 Turbo after cooled 6 cyl. 2 cycle diesel. These things screamed like chain saws but maxed out around 2200 rpm. Probably why i have Tinnitus today. These were all mechanical fuel injected and timed. When they began to integrate Electronic injection we thought it would not last. Now almost all heavy Diesel engines and transmissions are controlled by ECUs. as are automotive power trains. Technology progresses at a faster rate than the people who work on them can keep up. The learning curve is always a little bit behind.
Hi Chuck,

Those Detroit Diesels were exceptionally loud! Helped a friend stuff a 353DDA into a Pinto...Friend was a dieselholic :shock:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Some changes seem harder for the market to accept than others. I don't know much about commercial vehicles or engines, but I don't remember everyone being quite as up in arms over the change from, say, carburetion to fuel injection as we're seeing with the shift to turbocharging. Probably that was because it didn't come with a big change in engine configuration (# of cylinders, displacement, etc.). In vehicles larger than sub-compacts, the 4-cylinder engine still suffers from the stigma of being the base engine that isn't very good and that no one wants, because for decades, that's kind of what it was, and it looks like it might take a while to change that :/ .

Sponsored