Truck Arrived At Dealership... Damaged

shb500777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C, 2023 Ranger Lariat / Tremor
Well, my 2023 Tremor arrived at the dealership yesterday... But the roof is damaged (dented / scraped). My rep seems to think it was strapped down incorrectly, or something. They are offering to have their body shop repair the truck as new. But... I have a few concerns...

1.) I already have financing and x plan pricing on the truck... so I am not sure if they will even offer any kind of discount, service package, accessories, etc. I didn't finance the truck through them, either. But I have done a fair amount of business with them in the past. Should I ask for any compensation? Is that out of line?

2.) Based on quick "Google" searches, this can be fairly common. The rep said they are seeing more of it due to poorly trained workers (within transportation). Sometimes the cars are repaired, and then sold without anyone really knowing? Wild!

3.) She mentioned this possibly showing up on a Carfax in the future. THAT would bother me. Does that make sense? Is that just based on who reports the damage / repair? I am guessing its because the transport company insurance is going to pay for the repairs. I really, REALLY don't like the idea of that.

4.) I waited 3 months for the truck, I really want / need the truck (or a truck), and its not like I can order another 2023 at this point. I am "kind of" stuck.
Sponsored

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Sorry. Forgot to include that. Rep didn't include any pictures... And I can't get to the dealership until Friday evening... Which is when I was going to pick up the truck.
Bummer, my only concern would be if that shows up on carfax or some type of report. If it dings my trucks value then I would be pissed. My truck had a scratch that they fixed when I purchased. They did a good job with repairs so I had no issues.

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
3.) She mentioned this possibly showing up on a Carfax in the future. THAT would bother me. Does that make sense? Is that just based on who reports the damage / repair? I am guessing its because the transport company insurance is going to pay for the repairs. I really, REALLY don't like the idea of that.

Yes, absolutely this makes sense. Ordinarily you'd be looking at a diminished value claim, however, I have no idea how this would work as you've mentioned this is under the transport company's policy.

If this ends up going on a Carfax report as having been in an accident you're absolutely taking a hit on resale value.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
If the dealer identified the damage and gave you a heads up, it must be very noticable damage. Proper repair in that case would likely be to replace the roof sheet metal. Fairly involved repair and would be a couple grand if you were paying.

If the dealer eats the cost of the repair, it will likely not show on carfax. If they file a claim with the transport company, it will most likely show on the carfax as their insurance ties the claim to a vehicle vin for accounting purposes.

If they didn't allow me a discount large enough to make me comfortable with a carfax ding, I would walk away from the deal personally.

I'd get the pictures of the damage and go from there.

tm1506

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Outback XT
Occupation
Retired
Whatever happened is not going to get fixed by Friday if it's that bad. Have them put a hold on any repairs until you can check it out in person. With a purchase this big you should make the trip and see it first hand.

OP
OP

shb500777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C, 2023 Ranger Lariat / Tremor
Whatever happened is not going to get fixed by Friday if it's that bad. Have them put a hold on any repairs until you can check it out in person. With a purchase this big you should make the trip and see it first hand.
Correct. I believe the body shop is "assessing" the damage tomorrow. At that point, I guess more plans can be determined. I just asked for a picture of the damage. My plan would then be to travel down on Friday to check it out (about 1 hour away)... And then make any final decisions. I think there is a 2-3 week backup at the body shop.

Hizdudeness

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
RN
Its not legal in many states to sell a new vehicle with more than very minor roof damage. Source Dad owned a car dealership and I remember when I was in high school when he donated a brand new z28 to the local technical college when the roof got damaged. This was in Florida. They were not allowed to repair and resell it. It was a creased part at the b pillar on the drivers side roof. It was ~ 2"'x1.5" iiirc. I was floored.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Damage during shipping is a lot more common than dealers will admit. It happens a lot, but most of it is minor. It depends on if it is a scratch on the roof or small dent, or ??? It is minor it should be no issue - the body shop will fix it and all will be good. If it is more significant than that, then I would either pass on the truck, or negotiate a discount to reflect its reduced value.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my 2023 Tremor arrived at the dealership yesterday... But the roof is damaged (dented / scraped). My rep seems to think it was strapped down incorrectly, or something. They are offering to have their body shop repair the truck as new. But... I have a few concerns...

1.) I already have financing and x plan pricing on the truck... so I am not sure if they will even offer any kind of discount, service package, accessories, etc. I didn't finance the truck through them, either. But I have done a fair amount of business with them in the past. Should I ask for any compensation? Is that out of line?

2.) Based on quick "Google" searches, this can be fairly common. The rep said they are seeing more of it due to poorly trained workers (within transportation). Sometimes the cars are repaired, and then sold without anyone really knowing? Wild!

4.) I waited 3 months for the truck, I really want / need the truck (or a truck), and its not like I can order another 2023 at this point. I am "kind of" stuck.
Hi SHB,

Sad! I have shipped more prototypes than I care to remember. This sort of damage is not related to untrained drivers but uncaring drivers. I have had the roof sawed off on bridges....dropped tiedown chains dents..... Hunters taking target practice when near a road. You name it. It is a damaged truck and you should seek diminished value...then let them repair it and drive it unless it is a new roof job...then pass on the truck. JMO..

best,
Phil