First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Design Engineer
After months of research, reading, and watching videos on the ranger, I think it's time to pull the trigger. I'm interested in FX4 versions of the Ranger.

There's a Ford dealership close to me that has a Black 2019 FX4 SuperCrew model with the Icon Stage 2 package, Method wheels, wheel spacers and Nitto Tires (285), 301A interior package. It looks good even though black wasn't my first choice, but it's growing on me. It also already has all the suspension, wheel, and tire modifications that I would like to do. It looks similar to the truck in the link below; black on black.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/K93202T-2019-Ranger-4WD-ICON-0-3-5-Lift-Kit-Stage-2.html

I wanted to get your thoughts on the asking price for this truck: $40k. Seems to be a decent price to me for the amount of work that's been done and the trim level of the truck.

For reference, there's a 2020 Stock SuperCrew FX4 next to it for $39k, same interior package I believe.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
After months of research, reading, and watching videos on the ranger, I think it's time to pull the trigger. I'm interested in FX4 versions of the Ranger.

There's a Ford dealership close to me that has a Black 2019 FX4 SuperCrew model with the Icon Stage 2 package, Method wheels, wheel spacers and Nitto Tires (285), 301A interior package. It looks good even though black wasn't my first choice, but it's growing on me. It also already has all the suspension, wheel, and tire modifications that I would like to do. It looks similar to the truck in the link below; black on black.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/K93202T-2019-Ranger-4WD-ICON-0-3-5-Lift-Kit-Stage-2.html

I wanted to get your thoughts on the asking price for this truck: $40k. Seems to be a decent price to me for the amount of work that's been done and the trim level of the truck.

For reference, there's a 2020 Stock SuperCrew FX4 next to it for $39k, same interior package I believe.

Thanks for your input!
That still seems a bit high to me - in round numbers that stuff seems to be about $5500 worth of stuff, so that would be an unmodified price of 34500, which for a 2019 seems a bit high - what is the original sticker on it? I'd be expecting 8-10k off sticker on a 2019 at this point and then add on whatever you feel that add ons are worth (at a reasonable value, not the dealer inflated price).

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
If you sold them the truck with those mods they would say mods do not increase value and offer you blue book value.
Do the same. Tell them mods do not add value and count even reduce value based on parts. Offer blue book or just above.
Tell them to counter.
That is how they would play with you.
If no deal tell them to call if they want to sell. Walk out.
Have fun with it.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
I remember getting up to walk out of the dealership when trying to negotiate a good trade for my 98 Ranger...the kid got up so fast and literally blocked the door saying "whoa...let's talk about this" I said: "what is there to talk? I can sell this truck outright for 10 grand and all I want is blue book trade value, not a penny less"....I got my way

OP
OP
RamblinnMann

RamblinnMann

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Design Engineer
That still seems a bit high to me - in round numbers that stuff seems to be about $5500 worth of stuff, so that would be an unmodified price of 34500, which for a 2019 seems a bit high - what is the original sticker on it? I'd be expecting 8-10k off sticker on a 2019 at this point and then add on whatever you feel that add ons are worth (at a reasonable value, not the dealer inflated price).

If you sold them the truck with those mods they would say mods do not increase value and offer you blue book value.
Do the same. Tell them mods do not add value and count even reduce value based on parts. Offer blue book or just above.
Tell them to counter.
That is how they would play with you.
If no deal tell them to call if they want to sell. Walk out.
Have fun with it.
Thanks for the advice. Blue book is saying 37.5k MSRP for a 2019 XLT SuperCrew FX4, with the fair market range at 33.5 - 36k. Does that sound about right?

Where do you believe there's more savings to be had (more like the 8 - 10k range)?

I don't remember the original sticker (it was night, couldn't get a picture) but I can note that down the next time I go by the dealership. Add-ons without labor are probably about 5k worth.

Regarding price and then tax, title, and registration, would you suggest offering for example 35k all in?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice. Blue book is saying 37.5k MSRP for a 2019 XLT SuperCrew FX4, with the fair market range at 33.5 - 36k. Does that sound about right?

Where do you believe there's more savings to be had (more like the 8 - 10k range)?

I don't remember the original sticker (it was night, couldn't get a picture) but I can note that down the next time I go by the dealership. Add-ons without labor are probably about 5k worth.

Regarding price and then tax, title, and registration, would you suggest offering for example 35k all in?
That blue book price seems high to me for MSRP. Fair market sounds more reasonable to me.

My opinion is that a 2019 is coming up on 2 model years old (even if it is technically "new") , so depreciation needs to be figured in. Couple that is with the sales situation making it a buyers market is where the 8-10k off MSRP comes in. I figured about $500 for labor along with the parts in my $5500 round numbers for the mods. If I were attempting to buy it, my target to start negotations would be sticker - $4500 (10k off sticker - $5500 for the mods). Tax, title, etc would be on top of that.

I don't know what taxes, etc are in your neck of the woods so can't really comment on your all in price.

OP
OP
RamblinnMann

RamblinnMann

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Design Engineer
That blue book price seems high to me for MSRP. Fair market sounds more reasonable to me.

My opinion is that a 2019 is coming up on 2 model years old (even if it is technically "new") , so depreciation needs to be figured in. Couple that is with the sales situation making it a buyers market is where the 8-10k off MSRP comes in. I figured about $500 for labor along with the parts in my $5500 round numbers for the mods. If I were attempting to buy it, my target to start negotations would be sticker - $4500 (10k off sticker - $5500 for the mods). Tax, title, etc would be on top of that.

I don't know what taxes, etc are in your neck of the woods so can't really comment on your all in price.
Thanks! I checked the KBB value for the same model used at a dealer and it says the fair purchase price is 29k. I'll have to get a breakdown list of everything they installed and how much it cost when I talk to them.

It is a buyers market...but my F150 probably needs some repairs (I won't tell them that...I'm considering just donating it). Thankfully I don't have to drive much right now!

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
An FX4 with the 301 package is probably going for $34-35k around here, with $5k of addons it's probably about right.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I am seeing discounts in the neighborhood of $7,500.00 on the 2019 Rangers at my local dealership. Because of the pandemic, dealers are desperate. There is no better time to buy a truck than right now. Sure, the truck you mention is modded to perfection, but people are hurting (at least one member of this forum had to sell his new truck), and buyers are few. So take the lowest price that members mention above, drop it a few thousand, and tell them that you will sign right away if they match it but will walk if they don't. Then get up, turn around, and head for the door....