Traction Control questions

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I have a 2019 Lariat FX4 and I was curious what the different traction modes do.

As you know, pressing the center button on the dial changes to from the default "Normal" to 3 different modes:
  • Grass/Gravel/Snow
  • Mud/Ruts
  • Sand
Does anyone know what changes with each of these modes?

Edit - add: I do use "Sand" mode where I off road and it works fantastic even though I don't know exactly what changes it makes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2019 Lariat FX4 and I was curious what the different traction modes do.

As you know, pressing the center button on the dial changes to from the default "Normal" to 3 different modes:
  • Grass/Gravel/Snow
  • Mud/Ruts
  • Sand

Edit - add: I do use "Sand" mode where I off road and it works fantastic even though I don't know exactly what changes it makes.
It’s Magic ...:rockon:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

• Grass/Gravel/Snow
  • Mud/Ruts
  • Sand

It will change the shift points in the tranny within the different modes. Here's a video explaining the Broncos GOAT modes which is similar to ours. The Bronco has a lot more features than we do but it'll give you an idea how it works.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
The systems work well when done right. I am happy with how the Ranger FX4 does. The system is similar to what Chrysler has been using in Jeeps for many years. The system worked well in my 2018 Jeep Renegade and 2016 Jeep Cherokee.

Like said, the system manages shift points and also uses the ABS system to control wheel slipping. It will apply the brakes when it detects one or more wheels slipping but only on the wheels that lost traction.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
And here I thought that was 'Trail Modes', and the traction control was another thing entirely :) Like when I want to burn rubber :)

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
And here I thought that was 'Trail Modes', and the traction control was another thing entirely :) Like when I want to burn rubber :)
I think we are having some confusion between Terrain Control, Traction Control and Trail Mode. Three entirely different things. Terrain Control is the button in the middle of the 4WD knob. It selects between Normal mode and the Snow, Mud and Sand modes. It will also put the truck into 4WD. Traction Control is the button at the front of the console and is on by default and tied together with Stability Control, which I have heard is now called Curve Control. Trail Mode essentially a low speed cruise control for use on trails.

Need to keep the terms correct to avoid confusion.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think we are having some confusion between Terrain Control, Traction Control and Trail Mode. Three entirely different things. Terrain Control is the button in the middle of the 4WD knob. It selects between Normal mode and the Snow, Mud and Sand modes. It will also put the truck into 4WD. Traction Control is the button at the front of the console and is on by default and tied together with Stability Control, which I have heard is now called Curve Control. Trail Mode essentially a low speed cruise control for use on trails.

Need to keep the terms correct to avoid confusion.
OK, I will bite, how does TM equate to 'Terrain Control', I thought it stood for Terrain Mode, not to be confused with Traction Control.... wish Ford would keep their nomenclature consistent across vehicles.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I will bite, how does TM equate to 'Terrain Control', I thought it stood for Terrain Mode, not to be confused with Traction Control.... wish Ford would keep their nomenclature consistent across vehicles.
Hi Jesse,

I think this is covered in the owner's manual, but do not have the files while on the road in my RV.
I would be very surprised that there is inconsistent terminology. I recall that TM was Terrain Management. Snow, Sand, etc....

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Jesse,

I think this is covered in the owner's manual, but do not have the files while on the road in my RV.
I would be very surprised that there is inconsistent terminology. I recall that TM was Terrain Management. Snow, Sand, etc....
On the Bronco they are called GOAT modes :). As for having files on the road, I just dump PDF manuals in my DropBox, then access them from my iPad or MacBook on the road. And yes its covered in the manual, TM is for Terrain Management.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Still haven’t figured out yet how to activate trail control on non FX4 models have we?

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired