TPMS PSI isn't accurate

atari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
So I've been running around for a year with my tires at 30 (proper for my Ranger) according to my dash TPMS numbers.

I recently got a compressor (which measures tire pressure) and a good dial analogue gauge. The compressor and the guage match each other perfectly. But when my truck shows 30psi they show 25.

So I filled them all up to 30 with my gauge, ride feels great, but why is my TPMS off by so much?

I found instruction son how to re-train the wheel locations, but not sure if that will help the PSI readings?

Are everyone else's TPMS numbers accurate?
Sponsored

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been running around for a year with my tires at 30 (proper for my Ranger) according to my dash TPMS numbers.

I recently got a compressor (which measures tire pressure) and a good dial analogue gauge. The compressor and the guage match each other perfectly. But when my truck shows 30psi they show 25.

So I filled them all up to 30 with my gauge, ride feels great, but why is my TPMS off by so much?

I found instruction son how to re-train the wheel locations, but not sure if that will help the PSI readings?

Are everyone else's TPMS numbers accurate?
The manual states that the TPMS readings should not be used in place of actually checking the tire pressure . Mine are spot on though . The wifes car has a checkbox in the TPMS menu that allows you to calibrate the onscreen psi to actual tire pressure so surely the Ranger allows that to be performed also .

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine's pretty accurate...are you reading right after changing pressure while static? TPMS won't read changes until after few miles of driving...

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
Mine read about 4 -5 PSI too low at each wheel. I returned a new gauge because it disagreed. But after that, 2 other gauges that I tried and the filling station gauge told me the same thing.

Also at delivery the pressures read 49 PSI - probably more like 54 (recommended is 39).

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I've checked my tire pressure with with digital an stick style pressure gauge an it matches the reading.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
But when my truck shows 30psi they show 25.
Mine have been very accurate until recently. Now the dashboard shows the air pressure to be about 2-3 psi more than they actually are.
Edit: all four are reading the same difference, which leads me to believe it is a software problem.

Cactus Jim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX
Same boat here. All four tires read 41psi after dropping all 4 down to 34psi. After driving 10 miles they still read 41.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
OP
OP

atari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Crazy how there's so much variance.

After filling to cold 30 on all tires, driving around for 20+ min, my TPMS now show: 33,33,33,32
So it looks like they're all working the same (there's probably less air in the 32 tire legitimately), but all are 3 over what it should be.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Mine are off by a couple PSI too, I think, I can't say for sure because have no idea which is correct, the TPMS, my own gauge, or the one at the gas station?

Reminds me of a saying my grandfather had: "a man with two wristwatches never really knows what time it is..."

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
After reloading the app twice mine are dead on.
Sponsored