Towing

Hannah

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 ranger
Anyone out there with experence towing a single axle travel trailer under 5000 lbs without a weight distribution/ sway control hitch ?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Anyone out there with experence towing a single axle travel trailer under 5000 lbs without a weight distribution/ sway control hitch ?
I can't speak for a travel trailer but I did tow roughly 5,500 lbs with my ranger once. I actually towed my old 280ZX on a U-haul auto transport. No weight distribution hitch as U-haul wont let you and no sway crontrol either. The trailer had hydraulic brakse so that wasnt an issue. Toung weight? Probably more then it should have been but thankfully I was going slow for a short distance. For the most part the truck did fine. Didnt have an issue but that doesnt mean you wont have problems

0803201851.jpg

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Sounds tricky close to 5k. How much under 5k are you asking? Lots of little travel trailers these days well under 5k.

OP
OP
Hannah

Hannah

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 ranger
Sounds tricky close to 5k. How much under 5k are you asking? Lots of little travel trailers these days well under 5k.
4800 gross, 500 tongue , 23 ft long.​

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming that those numbers are the dealers, after you are loaded and ready to go you will be overloaded. Actual scale weight loaded is what you need.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Assuming that those numbers are the dealers, after you are loaded and ready to go you will be overloaded. Actual scale weight loaded is what you need.
In what way? Assuming this truck (looks like supercab 4x4) has the tow package. The truck has a payload of 1,650 lbs and towing capacity of 7,500 lbs. The truck max tongue weight is 750 lbs max and Ford says the Ranger doesn't need weight distribution for that. As for your trailer OP, what do you mean 4,800 gross? I am assuming that the camper has a dry weight of of somewhere between 3,500-3,700 lbs. and a cargo capacity of 1,100-1,300 lbs. It would take a lot of cargo and full tanks etc to hit that gross rating. Personally, I would use a sway/distribution hitch like the E2 with 500 lb bars for that trailer. Also anything over 3,500 lbs should have a trailer brake/controller. An F-150 SCab with the 2.7 and the class IV hitch (not tow package) is only rated to tow 6,000 lbs. Heck the same F-150 with a 5.0 is only rated at 7,000 lbs. Yet, people make comments like "if I ever see a Ranger towing more that 5k lbs I am getting out of the way". What about all of those F-150s that are towing 7-8k trailers that are grossly over because people don't have any idea how their truck is configured? Towing takes common sense. Going down the freeway @ 80 mph with a 2,500 lb trailer is less safe than me towing a properly set up 30 ft 5,700 lb loaded camper properly with my Ranger. I see plenty of HD trucks towing campers at 70 mph with the tongue sticking in the air and swaying dangerously because their weight distribution isn't set up properly. With the current TT market exploding their are tons of people out there towing not set up right, it's more than just mid size trucks.

Last edited:

Monark323

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XTL FX4
The engine brake works great with a 2 axel TT with a dry weight of 4300LBS. And less than 1k of “stuff”. No weight distribution or trailer brakes. Never felt that I was losing control or the lack of power. I tested the setup on both the Cajon Pass and the Grapevine in SoCal. If you know, you know.

However, I wouldn’t go pass 60mph. I’ll start to sway. Also I stayed in the slow lane (far right lane) most of the time. Also going down steep grades slow down before you actually hit the downgrade.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The engine brake works great with a 2 axel TT with a dry weight of 4300LBS. And less than 1k of “stuff”. No weight distribution or trailer brakes. Never felt that I was losing control or the lack of power. I tested the setup on both the Cajon Pass and the Grapevine in SoCal. If you know, you know.

However, I wouldn’t go pass 60mph. I’ll start to sway. Also I stayed in the slow lane (far right lane) most of the time. Also going down steep grades slow down before you actually hit the downgrade.
Is there a don't like button? You need to get a trailer brake controller installed and soon. Compare a panic stop from say 40 mph with and without the trailer and you'll see why.

Monark323

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XTL FX4
Is there a don't like button? You need to get a trailer brake controller installed and soon. Compare a panic stop from say 40 mph with and without the trailer and you'll see why.
I never said you don’t need one. Of course a trailer brake will increase the overall safety. You’re talking of a “panic stop” even with all the bells and whistles you’re probably going to be in a tough spot. Increasing your space gap between vehicles is your friend. People getting into accidents usually involves driving too closed and driving like they don’t have extra weight. Don’t let it get to a panic stop.

OP
OP
Hannah

Hannah

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 ranger
I'll clarity. I have tow package and a brake controller and I know I'm within the specs for my ranger. My question is about weight distribution and sway control. I picked up a new TT , 3845 dry, 445 lb tongue weight and right at 1000 lbs load capiticy. The truck had no issues at all towing the trailer and had no noticeable squat but did raise the front about 1 .5 inchs. ( measuring ground to top of fender well.) . My concerns, It was a windy day 25 to 35 MPH winds and that moved the truck and TT around quite alot no real sway just pushed around by the wind. I'm not sure if a WD hitch with sway control would improve things.

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
I'll clarity. I have tow package and a brake controller and I know I'm within the specs for my ranger. My question is about weight distribution and sway control. I picked up a new TT , 3845 dry, 445 lb tongue weight and right at 1000 lbs load capiticy. The truck had no issues at all towing the trailer and had no noticeable squat but did raise the front about 1 .5 inchs. ( measuring ground to top of fender well.) . My concerns, It was a windy day 25 to 35 MPH winds and that moved the truck and TT around quite alot no real sway just pushed around by the wind. I'm not sure if a WD hitch with sway control would improve things.
I would say yes to the sway question That a sway control would improve things. i think that “getting pushed around quite a lot” sounds like sway to me. I had my WD and sway control set on the low side due to position and I experienced some sway in high wind on I5. I adjusted and it feels much more solid. The only way you would know the diff is if you try ?. Good luck on your quest for knowledge on the subject.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I never said you don’t need one. Of course a trailer brake will increase the overall safety. You’re talking of a “panic stop” even with all the bells and whistles you’re probably going to be in a tough spot. Increasing your space gap between vehicles is your friend. People getting into accidents usually involves driving too closed and driving like they don’t have extra weight. Don’t let it get to a panic stop.
You're misrepresenting what I intended. You stated "no trailer brakes". A hard/panic stop will explain to anyone why they need a brake controller. Your stopping distance even in city type traffic will tremendously increase without one, far more so than with a controller. If you leave a large gap someone will inevitably slip in front of you and now there is no margin to safely stop. Though I do see in your latest post you stated you have a brake controller. What gives? Why say no trailer brakes when you have a brake controller?

OP
OP
Hannah

Hannah

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 ranger
I would say yes to the sway question That a sway control would improve things. i think that “getting pushed around quite a lot” sounds like sway to me. I had my WD and sway control set on the low side due to position and I experienced some sway in high wind on I5. I adjusted and it feels much more solid. The only way you would know the diff is if you try ?. Good luck on your quest for knowledge on the subject.
ma
may I ask What WDH are you using and what are you towing?
Sponsored