Towing

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
It's almost comical sometimes towing a big box trailer like that. There is so much aero drag that when you let off the gas the trailer stops YOU.

I've come down I-24 from Monteagle, TN towing a 6x12 enclosed and held between 55 and 60 just coasting. Rarely needed the brakes as that big parachute of a trailer kept the speed in check.

I would rather drag a 6000 lb boat instead of an empty box trailer on road trips. That aero KILLS mileage.
For reference, last time I went down that crazy elevation drop in a Ranger, I just pushed the clutch in and easily held 85 while braking! Crazy that thing slowed you down so much.
Sponsored

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Your link is broken. Maybe the dealer installed one is warrantied through Ford for $600 US.

I edited it again with a new link, I'll fix it later when I'm not doing this on a phone. Anyway you can get it for $200ish on Amazon.. for the $400 bucks difference I can drill a hole and connect 4 wires.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
From this video, Ford Engineer Keith Erickson says you don’t need “weight distribution” on your trailer, even up to 7,500 lbs.

Of course they recommend it, but Ford said it’s not required unlike other midsize trucks like Colorado and Tacoma.

At 11:15 minute mark from:

Lloyd C

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lexus RX350
Having logged 6000 miles in my 2017 Escape pulling a 7x14 cargo trailer 2.0L EcoBoost has plenty of power. I went through the rocky mountains at or above the max weight (3500+) and could blow by the semi's going up the steep grades on I-80 and I-40 going about 40 MPH. It is wind resistance that is the issue towing, not weight. Once I got on the level ground I would run about 55 MPH and the semi's that I passed would blow by me. The select shift that lets you shift like a manual transmission is what really helps. Heading back to California with the trailer empty, I was ran about 65 MPH and got worse gas mileage than when loaded. 11.5 vs 12.5 loaded. My trailer was a tall v-nose, 8.5 FT from the ground to the top.
I LIVE In the rocky’s and much of the year at over 8500’. It is fine going up hill with dry warm roads but going down in under many conditions requires special needs for what you are towing. You want your tow to stay behind you and not next to or on top of you.

Ron_W

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape titanium, 2013 c-max
I LIVE In the rocky’s and much of the year at over 8500’. It is fine going up hill with dry warm roads but going down in under many conditions requires special needs for what you are towing. You want your tow to stay behind you and not next to or on top of you.
Was going from west coast east when loaded, back to Calif when empty. Had brake controller, anti-sway load distribution hitch. Took it nice and easy most of the time. Only time rushing was to beat the blizzard that closed I-80 from Reno to the central valley for 2 days. It started about 6 hours after I went through. Was not going to drive through that. The worst climb that I encountered was I-80 from Salt Lake to Park City in Utah.