First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT, 2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Military Police Officer
Hows it going guys! I am in the process of buying a 2019 Ford Ranger XL 2WD with some options. I had some questions about towing with the ranger. I have a 2014 5.0 that I plan on towing to the track from time to time. From what the dealer has shown me I don't think my ranger comes with a towing package. Unfortunately I don't have many options as I'm stationed overseas (Germany) and the only way I can get exactly what I want is by ordering it and waiting a ridiculous amount of time.

Is it possible to purchase the Class IV tow hitch from a ford dealer and have them install it? Do Rangers with the towing package have a towing/haul mode that other Rangers don't?

The only thing that the paperwork mentions about towing is:

TRAILER SWAY CONTROL
TRAILER TOWING: 4-Pin Wiring, Ball Mounting Provisions in Rear Bumper

I thought the vehicle came with BLIS but also not seeing anything about it on the paperwork.

Thanks in advance! Sorry if these are dumb questions just trying to make sure I get the right Ranger!
Sponsored

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve gotten a bit of mixed messaging here but my belief is the only thing the tow package includes is the 7 pin wiring harness and hitch. That can be installed at the dealer. I heard the hitch might not be available to dealers until March but that’s weird because certainly some have it already from factory. The BLIS for trailers is built into the rear taillight. I don’t think that’s added as part of the tow package, I think it’s already there if you have BLIS in your options. I’m not sure though.

OP
OP
OxfordCoyote

OxfordCoyote

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Police Officer
I’ve gotten a bit of mixed messaging here but my belief is the only thing the tow package includes is the 7 pin wiring harness and hitch. That can be installed at the dealer. I heard the hitch might not be available to dealers until March but that’s weird because certainly some have it already from factory. The BLIS for trailers is built into the rear taillight. I don’t think that’s added as part of the tow package, I think it’s already there if you have BLIS in your options. I’m not sure though.
Yeah I am getting the same mixed messages and there isn't too much information online about it. I am hoping that with me being in Germany and the Ranger being sold over here that the dealer will have the hitch available. I am getting a US spec one from a US company so I am hoping that they can actually work on my Ranger and not try to say " oh well it isnt a european spec so we cant touch it". I think you're right about the BLIS option though. Which I can live without but I do need to be able to get the tow package installed if possible.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Yeah I am getting the same mixed messages and there isn't too much information online about it. I am hoping that with me being in Germany and the Ranger being sold over here that the dealer will have the hitch available. I am getting a US spec one from a US company so I am hoping that they can actually work on my Ranger and not try to say " oh well it isnt a european spec so we cant touch it". I think you're right about the BLIS option though. Which I can live without but I do need to be able to get the tow package installed if possible.
I "settled" on the truck I bought when my dealer made a mistake with my special order. My truck doesn't have the "tow package" from what I see the only thing that is missing is the hitch and 7 pin harness. My truck has trailer sway control and also has a setting in the dash to adjust the BLIS system to cover the length of a trailer. So I believe that if I slap the hitch and 7pin harness on there then I would have the same set up as the trailer tow option from the factory. They don't show the hitch accessory on the Ford Accessories web site but I had my dealer look it up and they did show an accessory hitch for it. I remember it being just a little more than what the factory option was which, at least in my mind, would make sense if the hitch and harness are the only difference in the tow package. My truck is an XLT FX4 with the 302A and technology package.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
You can get one dealer installed, it will be the exact kit they would install from the factory. BUT... My dealer tells me that none of it is available for installation through Ford yet...

E-Trailer has the proper kit, which is from Redarc, and is exactly what they are installing at the factory. Pick a class IV tow bar, and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
OxfordCoyote

OxfordCoyote

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Police Officer
You can get one dealer installed, it will be the exact kit they would install from the factory. BUT... My dealer tells me that none of it is available for installation through Ford yet...

E-Trailer has the proper kit, which is from Redarc, and is exactly what they are installing at the factory. Pick a class IV tow bar, and you should be good to go.
Not trying to be lazy but make sure I get the right thing. Do you have the link to it?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to be lazy but make sure I get the right thing. Do you have the link to it?
Should be this one, it states "without factory 7-way connector"

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...ger&hhyear=2019&vehicleid=201986662&hunter=bc

The install I saw was on an Australian Ranger PX2 (or some nonsense) but it looked identical to what my truck has under it.

Personally I'd either go with a removable controller, or wait for Ford to officially announce their offering as if it's integrated like the F150 you'll need a flash to enable the control of the device in the dash.

Last edited:

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
So looking under truck it looks like there is a plate in the bumper and a wiring harness that needs to swap out.

The part I referenced above looks like its the receiver plate needed. Now I am just trying to figure out if it comes with the wiring harness, or if there is another part.

Bob Larimore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue Lariat Ranger
Occupation
USMC Retired, Ford Transporter driver.
Vehicle Showcase
OK everyone, has anyone else read page 210 of the owners manual? Am I reading it correctly, bumper towing is 3500lbs, Tow package is 7500lbs, but those figures are all mute as without a trailer brake you are only supposed to tow 1650lbs???? Did Ford just give us a big smoke and mirrors thing about towing? I know there has been discussions about trailer brake controllers and such but I am a little perplexed that the owners manual basically says anything above 1650lbs is not recommended? Some one with more G2 then I please answer this one?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
OK everyone, has anyone else read page 210 of the owners manual? Am I reading it correctly, bumper towing is 3500lbs, Tow package is 7500lbs, but those figures are all mute as without a trailer brake you are only supposed to tow 1650lbs???? Did Ford just give us a big smoke and mirrors thing about towing? I know there has been discussions about trailer brake controllers and such but I am a little perplexed that the owners manual basically says anything above 1650lbs is not recommended? Some one with more G2 then I please answer this one?
To tow something heavy you can either 1) tow a trailer with surge brakes 2) tow a trailer with electric brakes and use a hitch or other external controller 3) tow a trailer with electric brakes and install a brake controller on-board.

It's pretty normal to have different ratings for braked and unbraked trailers. For example, the tacoma's limit is 1000lbs for an unbraked trailer, the colorado is 2000lbs.

Bob Larimore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue Lariat Ranger
Occupation
USMC Retired, Ford Transporter driver.
Vehicle Showcase
To tow something heavy you can either 1) tow a trailer with surge brakes 2) tow a trailer with electric brakes and use a hitch or other external controller 3) tow a trailer with electric brakes and install a brake controller on-board.

It's pretty normal to have different ratings for braked and unbraked trailers. For example, the tacoma's limit is 1000lbs for an unbraked trailer, the colorado is 2000lbs.
@VAMike I only pull an Alumacraft boat so even though it is over the 1650lb rating, not by much, I am not going to worry about it. Appreciate the information. thank you.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wires to install any third party brake controller are already taped to the wiring harness above the brake pedal and to the left. It's a non-issue really as the 4 wires pretty standard. I plan to install mine as soon as it's reasonably warm in Michigan.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
My XLT came without receiver and harness. Anyone try installing this guy? Did it come with wiring harness? Difficulty?

https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/12134/s/kit-trailer-hitch-bar/category/3115/
Did you happen to figure anything else out here? My truck is coming without tow package and I’m planning on adding it. Bolting on the hitch should be easy, but I can’t tell if I will need to add a 7pin connector or do any orther wiring work.
Sponsored