djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I have a cargo trailer that is 26’ long and enclosed. Fully loaded weight is 6,750. I only need to tow it a couple of times a year, and only like an hour or two each time. I live in the midatlantic at sea level nowhere near any mountains. Do you think I could tow it with the Ranger as long as I have a robust weight distribution hitch and anti-sway and trailer brakes/controller? I know the tow rating is higher than that but I dont know if it’s a bad plan anyway.
Sponsored

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, doesn't exceed the towing capacity... Send it!

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Ford reps mentioned that they towed a 6,200 lb trailer cross-country.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ranger-mpg-from-talks-at-the-test-drive-events.1293/

Just got back from the test drive event in San Jose. I was talking to the lead of the event and she said that they drove the trucks from Michigan to San Jose pulling a 6,200lb trailer and was getting 9MPG. The people following her without trailers were getting anywhere from 24-32MPG depending on how "heavy" they were driving.

Super impressive!!

I loved the test drive event. I'm definitely going to be buying the new Ranger!!

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
As long as you don't exceed GVWR, you should be good. Personally, that would be pushing a bit close to the truck's rated capacity so I'd keep the speed down. Maybe I've become a bit overly cautious as I've matured.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Here in the south they'd tell you to "hitch 'er up and git 'r done".

TexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I have a cargo trailer that is 26’ long and enclosed. Fully loaded weight is 6,750. I only need to tow it a couple of times a year, and only like an hour or two each time. I live in the midatlantic at sea level nowhere near any mountains. Do you think I could tow it with the Ranger as long as I have a robust weight distribution hitch and anti-sway and trailer brakes/controller? I know the tow rating is higher than that but I dont know if it’s a bad plan anyway.

Post pictures when you have it hooked up!!

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
I wouldn't do it. I use to tow a 24' enclosed car hauler with a 3/4t Dodge Ram QC with a Cummins. Even with sway control that high profile trailer would push the truck around in cross winds and while passing 18 wheelers.

OP
OP
djrobb

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't do it. I use to tow a 24' enclosed car hauler with a 3/4t Dodge Ram QC with a Cummins. Even with sway control that high profile trailer would push the truck around in cross winds and while passing 18 wheelers.
Yea. We pulled it empty with an f350 from Florida to Virginia and the semis even tugged on the f350. After that experience I’m pretty sure I’ll only tow it with a 3/4 ton. Especially on the interstate. We didn’t have sway control hooked up yet though so hopefully that and some weight inside the trailer will settle it down.

OP
OP
djrobb

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
66C4044D-060E-4B8A-8975-05F19A27EED0.jpeg
D9CD37A1-0205-4C6D-8D6C-F96AF44E1524.jpeg
Yea. We pulled it empty with an f350 after my previous post from Florida to Virginia and the semis even tugged on the f350. After that experience I’m pretty sure I’ll only tow it with a 3/4 ton. Especially on the interstate. We didn’t have sway control hooked up yet though so hopefully that and some weight inside the trailer will settle it down. Even if it’s within the weight limits of the Ranger it’s the wind and tug from semis I’d worry about.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
I used to tow my ~ 4,100 lb travel trailer with a 5.4 liter F150, and almost did not feel it behind me on flat roads. Up hills you would notice it some cause the auto 3 speed would range between gears..​
The Ranger actually pulls it just as well on flat roads, but had an aggravating slight sway, since it is a lighter truck and shorter wheel base. A Reese friction sway bar killed the sway almost completely!​
The Ranger braking is really good, especially with the Redarc controller, just don't ask about the dealer install... FORD really failed big by not putting a connector to install a brake controller.​
The Ranger does great up hill because of the 10 speed tranny! And better mileage.​
And the F150 did not have Adaptive Cruise Control!​
The Ranger does a great job towing, IMHO.​

Last edited:

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
The truck is rated to tow a trailer when all acronyms fall in spec. The GCVWR, GVWR, FGAWR, RGAWR, maximum tongue weight all have their spec. You can have all of those covered with a properly weighted trailer and still dread the pull. It might pull great on a flat windless empty road. It could become an e ticket ride when you add in wind gusts and a flock of semis.
I haven't seen any videos of Rangers getting into trouble pulling barn doors like that trailer. Get a friend with a GoPro to follow in another vehicle. You could settle this argument once a for all. Is Mythbusters still in business?
Sponsored