First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
As my MH is combined and the truck is separate I had to get a 2>3 converter to put upstream of the diodes. Cutting and extending the wires in the tail light was simple, just used a meter and straight pin (stick into wire for testing prior to cutting) to ID the correct ones, then route to/from the diodes. I used 3 2 in one out diodes on each side so no relay needed. I am just glad Ford provided plenty of spare room in the tail light housing.
It would have been easier to add stand alone bumper lights but they look like crap, and the rear LED's on the Ranger look cool.
Sponsored

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
Have most of you spliced into your Ranger wiring or are you running lights that just attach to the Ranger and have their own wiring?
I am a little hesitant to tie into the factory wiring for fear of voiding the warranty. Any input welcome. Thank you.

Brian
Even though the install of both the Blue Ox baseplate and the Roadmaster wiring kit couldn't look any easier (based on videos on etrailer.com), this was one area I was not going to save a few bucks. If all heck breaks loose (as in, my towing setup fails), I'm not going to stand in front of a judge and say that I THOUGHT I knew what I was doing. I had an authorized Blue Ox dealer (who has done hundreds of these over the past eight years) perform the install. Peace-of-mind for me outweighed a few hundred bucks.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I just completed a three week Journey to Flagstaff Arizona and back...Round trip of about 500 miles towing my 2019 Ranger FX4 behind our Diesel Pusher Alfa Motor home...Ranger towed with no real problems until Eloy when I had a fellow flag me on the freeway to a problem. Turned out to be the hookup electrcal loom failed a zip tie (Never use white Zip ties...) and the look was almost ready to abrade on the roadway. So dove off and exit....secured the loom with a bungy cord. So I have towed over 5000 miles with no transmission issues... I follow the owner's manual step by step...I do not rely on my memory. No problems encountered except for this one. If the fellow that was kind enough to motion to me is reading this forum...A big Thank You to you for taking the time to motion to me something was wrong My next move is to a non Zip tie arrangement for the wiring loom...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi Folks,

I just completed a three week Journey to Flagstaff Arizona and back...Round trip of about 500 miles towing my 2019 Ranger FX4 behind our Diesel Pusher Alfa Motor home...Ranger towed with no real problems until Eloy when I had a fellow flag me on the freeway to a problem. Turned out to be the hookup electrcal loom failed a zip tie (Never use white Zip ties...) and the look was almost ready to abrade on the roadway. So dove off and exit....secured the loom with a bungy cord. So I have towed over 5000 miles with no transmission issues... I follow the owner's manual step by step...I do not rely on my memory. No problems encountered except for this one. If the fellow that was kind enough to motion to me is reading this forum...A big Thank You to you for taking the time to motion to me something was wrong My next move is to a non Zip tie arrangement for the wiring loom...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey, Phil.

Glad someone was nice enough to flag you down! We can all hope to be that lucky to have nice people around when things go wrong.

Did you do the "push test" while you were going through the manual or did you trust it when it said "enabled"?

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Phil.

Glad someone was nice enough to flag you down! We can all hope to be that lucky to have nice people around when things go wrong.

Did you do the "push test" while you were going through the manual or did you trust it when it said "enabled"?
Hi Timmy,

I did the put it in park and it rolled about 1"....Back to neutral and ready to tow. I kept getting the dinging that Neutral Tow was enabled.... Then switched the ignition off...

Here my question to which I do not have an answer, but follow the owner's manual. What is the difference between the trans being in Neutral when the transfer case is in neutral vs the Trans in park? I am guessing the trans freewheels and to a degree lubes the transmission?? Any thoughts on this. I am still puzzled....Wish I could get a hold of Kevin N. who led the design of this trans.... Good guy and a off road racer....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi Timmy,

I did the put it in park and it rolled about 1"....Back to neutral and ready to tow. I kept getting the dinging that Neutral Tow was enabled.... Then switched the ignition off...

Here my question to which I do not have an answer, but follow the owner's manual. What is the difference between the trans being in Neutral when the transfer case is in neutral vs the Trans in park? I am guessing the trans freewheels and to a degree lubes the transmission?? Any thoughts on this. I am still puzzled....Wish I could get a hold of Kevin N. who led the design of this trans.... Good guy and a off road racer....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I would simply be guessing on this. One of the other posters above theorized that (if I'm understanding correctly) if the battery were to die and it would leave neutral tow, the selector being in Park might cause a "bit" of an issue. Of course, that might be the least of our worries, as this is also what might be causing the occasional destroyed transmission for those that have done it correctly but had a failure somewhere.

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
Our motorhome is spending the night at a KOA in Amarillo tonight. Pulling in next to me was a very nice couple from Florida in a motorhome pulling a Ranger. We hit it off quickly and shared stories and opinions on the Ranger as a Toad. He was as enthusiastic as I am. Rangers are hard to spot on the road; they're harder to spot behind motorhomes. To have one pull up next to you is unheard of. Cool!

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Our motorhome is spending the night at a KOA in Amarillo tonight. Pulling in next to me was a very nice couple from Florida in a motorhome pulling a Ranger. We hit it off quickly and shared stories and opinions on the Ranger as a Toad. He was as enthusiastic as I am. Rangers are hard to spot on the road; they're harder to spot behind motorhomes. To have one pull up next to you is unheard of. Cool!
Well, THAT was an easy conversation starter!

NooTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I've been keeping an eye open since I got my Ranger eight months ago, and have yet to see anyone else towing one behind their motorhome. We're heading out tomorrow for 12 days with the Ranger in tow.

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
I've been keeping an eye open since I got my Ranger eight months ago, and have yet to see anyone else towing one behind their motorhome. We're heading out tomorrow for 12 days with the Ranger in tow.
Enjoy your trip.
Brian

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Everyone of us needs to post a pic of our rigs towing our Rangers so when we pass each other, we'll know who they are! :like:

1626916891238.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

No pix of 2019 Ranger, but here is one with the 2007 Ranger.....
IMG_0179_1.jpg

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
Yesterday in Childress, TX. We stopped for burgers. And, a better shot taken on the Texas coast to show how well the Ranger's Ingot paint matches up with the Bay Star's color scheme.

Bay Star and Ranger.jpg

Ranger and Bay Star 1.jpg
Sponsored