Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Piece of cake. It's almost identical in weight to my Explorer so I hardly noticed it. (It helps being in flat country, rather than the hills and mountains.)

I have a Blue Ox Avail towbar (overkill, I know, but it was on sale), Blue Ox 2679 baseplate, and Blue Ox Patriot II supplemental braking system. I would much rather have a permanently installed braking system but I lease my vehicles so I'm wanting to move the system into the new vehicle, as I just did with this one.

One thing that I love is the menu driven setup for flat-towing. It is quite reassuring to have the vehicle tell you that you may now safely tow the Ranger. The only thing that I can possibly screw up is leaving the hand brake on.

Hope this helps.
Hi Timmy,

I recommend putting the Ranger in Park after Neutral Tow is enabled to insure the Ranger will free roll, then back to Neutral for towing as indicated in the owners manual. There are folks here that trashed their transmission as the vehicle was not in Neutral Tow which these folks claim it indicated the vehicle was in Neutral Tow. I have had no problem in towing my Ranger behind my diesel pusher Alfa for over 3000 miles now.
Sponsored

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
Hi Timmy,

I recommend putting the Ranger in Park after Neutral Tow is enabled to insure the Ranger will free roll, then back to Neutral for towing as indicated in the owners manual. There are folks here that trashed their transmission as the vehicle was not in Neutral Tow which these folks claim it indicated the vehicle was in Neutral Tow. I have had no problem in towing my Ranger behind my diesel pusher Alfa for over 3000 miles now.
Thanks, Phil. Good advice!

I've searched this forum far and wide and can't find an answer for this: does the Ranger odometer not add miles when we are towing? My Explorer (2018 Limited) did NOT add towed miles, which is pretty much the norm for electronic odometers, but I just wanted to know for sure. I forgot to check it when I towed it home from the shop after getting the baseplate installed last week. Thanks for any assistance!

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I've searched this forum far and wide and can't find an answer for this: does the Ranger odometer not add miles when we are towing? My Explorer (2018 Limited) did NOT add towed miles, which is pretty much the norm for electronic odometers, but I just wanted to know for sure. I forgot to check it when I towed it home from the shop after getting the baseplate installed last week. Thanks for any assistance!
Hi Timmy,

Good question...I really do not know as I never checked, but since my vehicle is in the off position, I think there is no mileage added....I will have to remember to check when we pull out of here and head home.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Silly question, never been in a position to flat tow a vehicle. I remember a while back seeing a video on going into the menu settings to put the truck in neutral to tow it. Something I do not remember it addressing is what do you do with the keys while towing it.

If you have an actual key (not push button start) do you leave it in the ignition so the steering wheel remains unlocked? Granted you want the steering wheel straight as can be, does it not matter if the steering is locked when being towed? I'm guessing leaving keys in ignition is not a good thing and that you are not required to leave them in the towed vehicle.

Hmm. My initial thought was steering wheel unlocked might help it while being towed for making turns. Then I thought if you hit a pothole with one of the front wheels that turns the steering wheel enough that may not be a good thing either.
With a key, once you put the Ranger in tow mode you turn the key as far towards the off position as it will go. Being in tow mode limits the key to ACC and wheel unlock position, and yes the key remains in the ignition, you can use another fob to lock the door if you wish. Your front wheels MUST be free to track the RV or you will suffer severe tire damage, not to mention front end, wheel, and bearing damage. NEVER tow a vehicle with the steering wheel locked!

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

No, no miles are added to the odometer while towing, the speedo sensor is in the tranny, and as it is disconnected while towing the odometer is non functional.

NooTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Hi Timmy,

How do you ensure that "the Ranger will free roll" while in park? Isn't it already hooked up to your RV? If not already hooked up, how do you get the truck in position to connect?

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
How do you ensure that "the Ranger will free roll" while in park?
My Blue Ox bars will allow the toad to roll eighteen inches or so in each direction while hooked up if the locking handles aren't engaged. When pushing the Ranger to ensure rolling, it helps to make loud grunting noises that embarrass your spouse and concern any bystanders.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How do you ensure that "the Ranger will free roll" while in park? Isn't it already hooked up to your RV? If not already hooked up, how do you get the truck in position to connect?
Hi,

Just like John's Blue Ox tow bar, my Roadmaster setup allows the same feature. You only need a few inches of travel to verify freewheeling. If it won't roll, then still not in Neutral Tow.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
No, no miles are added to the odometer while towing, the speedo sensor is in the tranny, and as it is disconnected while towing the odometer is non functional.
Thanks, Jesse!

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi,

Just like John's Blue Ox tow bar, my Roadmaster setup allows the same feature. You only need a few inches of travel to verify freewheeling. If it won't roll, then still not in Neutral Tow.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I had the same question. I was figuring I'd have to push it backwards a foot or so, then forward a foot or so. This makes much more sense!!!

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My Blue Ox bars will allow the toad to roll eighteen inches or so in each direction while hooked up if the locking handles aren't engaged. When pushing the Ranger to ensure rolling, it helps to make loud grunting noises that embarrass your spouse and concern any bystanders.
John, what do you find easier, hooking up at full extension? or fully retracted, and push the Ranger from there?, as long as you are on a flat surface. I would think retracted and use the RV bumper as a place for my size 11 boot!

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
John, what do you find easier, hooking up at full extension? or fully retracted, and push the Ranger from there?, as long as you are on a flat surface. I would think retracted and use the RV bumper as a place for my size 11 boot!

"Easiness" doesn't really come into play--it's usually a battle. Sometimes, magically, it works without too much trouble. It's impossible to predict. If it's raining or cold, it's usually an ordeal and takes a long time.

It seems like the bumper is in a different place every time. Until those handles lock down (usually after I make that first and second road turn), I push the toad up and back a few times. It really complicates things when you're not level, so we hunt around for the right spot to hook up or unhook.

Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
"Easiness" doesn't really come into play--it's usually a battle. Sometimes, magically, it works without too much trouble. It's impossible to predict. If it's raining or cold, it's usually an ordeal and takes a long time.

It seems like the bumper is in a different place every time. Until those handles lock down (usually after I make that first and second road turn), I push the toad up and back a few times. It really complicates things when you're not level, so we hunt around for the right spot to hook up or unhook.
I just tested the tow mode in the driveway and it worked fine, rolled free in park after releasing the hand brake. I could see an issue hooked up, guess its a good thing I work out ? I may need it. I will have to find a better way. The handles on my Alpha towbar lock as soon as I start moving.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I just tested the tow mode in the driveway and it worked fine, rolled free in park after releasing the hand brake. I could see an issue hooked up, guess its a good thing I work out ? I may need it. I will have to find a better way. The handles on my Alpha towbar lock as soon as I start moving.
I don't know if this would show a problem or not; we always start out after hooking up the toad with my wife outside, making sure all four wheels are rolling smoothly. If the tranny was having an issue, would the tires drag like they would if it was in park or if you left the brake on? Or, would the power of the RV simply pull the toad along and you wouldn't realize that things were being damaged inside? If that is the case, I'm not too sure how much good it is to verify that the wheels are turning at startup. (?)

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if this would show a problem or not; we always start out after hooking up the toad with my wife outside, making sure all four wheels are rolling smoothly. If the tranny was having an issue, would the tires drag like they would if it was in park or if you left the brake on? Or, would the power of the RV simply pull the toad along and you wouldn't realize that things were being damaged inside? If that is the case, I'm not too sure how much good it is to verify that the wheels are turning at startup. (?)
Hi Timmy,

You are correct....RV would just pull it and trash the trans if not actually in Neutral Tow. So having the little wifelet is likely of little value.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored