sammyc1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
ME
Hi All,

Wanted to make a post and describe this issue I've noticed while driving my Ranger to see if anyone has had a similar experience/knows any troubleshooting steps to take.

While driving, I can feel intermittent taps or clunks through the steering wheel only. What I feel is distinctly different than the typical suspension feedback when going over bumps or road undulations. The tapping/clunking is somewhat difficult to consistently replicate, but happens often throughout a normal 10 mile drive.

Below is a more organized list of observations regarding this issue:
- happens fairly consistently when i drive over uneven roads (ex. front right wheel would need to drop lower then front left wheel due to rod undulation)
- happens inconsistently when i simply turn the steering wheel ~90 degrees or so to make a turn (ex: turning into a parking lot from main road)
- happens somewhat consistently when I brake hard or accelerate hard from a stop
- seems to be more pronounced the hotter the weather is (~85 - 95 degrees)

There's no real audible sound, and I did take the truck to a local dealer and they could not replicate the tap/clunking. They told me they inspected and moved the suspension around and found nothing loose/wrong there. So perhaps it's not the suspension?

1. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/clunk-creak-after-driving.14957/

2. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/slip-joint.20210/

Did my best to search previous posts and I'm certain it's not the slip joint issue this forum has discussed as i don't feel any clunk in my seat or from the back of the truck. There are some similarities between what I feel and the "clunk-creak-after-driving" post but its not quite the same. For example my truck is a bone dry stock 2022 Ranger XLT, I haven't installed any aftermarket lift kit or anything. One of the poster roughly halfway down in that thread suggests that the Ranger's collapsible steering shaft is the source of the clunking, so perhaps that's correct?

Anyhow would this be a "just live with it" type of problem, or should I troubleshoot this more intently?
Sponsored

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
I have something similar going on. Just started at 34,000 miles. Feels like slightly flat spotted front tires almost, can feel tapping in steering wheel. Started in hot weather, too. No clunking, but when i back up over any sort of bumps-uneven pavement, there is clunking in right front wheel area. Don't know if it is the same thing your experiencing, had the clunking for awhile and had dealer check it out, but of course they didn't find anything wrong. The steering wheel tap/thump just started recently. I want to think it may be a tire, but mine look good and get rotated on schedule. Mine has had a ridiculous amount of warranty issues, so who knows what is wrong. It has to go in for service soon, and to have interior panel replaced due to it being gouged up when they removed dash to replace defective hvac box. I will have them check it out and report back if i find out anything. Good luck and i hope it isn't anything serious.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
In my decades of car/truck ownership, intermittent sounds, clunks, etc. have almost always been super difficult to diagnose, not unlike my more decades of intermittent problems that doctors couldn’t diagnose.

Until something gets consistent enough for the techs/doc can see for themselves, you might be chasing your tail for a long time.

Of course, being OCD, it drives me nuts when a problem goes undiagnosed, so I chase my tail. :)

Good luck, if you find it, let everyone know, it might help the next guy down the line.

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Supervisor
I have experienced a silmiliar issue recently around 26,000 on a 2021 STX 4X4. Althout it seems very insconsistent and cant pin down exactly what conditions is occurs under. It appears most often when turning accelartating from a stop on uneven road surfaces.

I plan to have the dealership look at it within the next few weeks and will update with whatever I hear back from them.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I'd try 4 High and drive it bit and see if anything changes , your sure your not feeling anything in the transmission, its for sure up front ? All noises off in cab and windows down and you and a passenger just hang out the windows and try to hear the source, at least which side its on...

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Hi All,

Wanted to make a post and describe this issue I've noticed while driving my Ranger to see if anyone has had a similar experience/knows any troubleshooting steps to take.

While driving, I can feel intermittent taps or clunks through the steering wheel only. What I feel is distinctly different than the typical suspension feedback when going over bumps or road undulations. The tapping/clunking is somewhat difficult to consistently replicate, but happens often throughout a normal 10 mile drive.

- happens fairly consistently when i drive over uneven roads (ex. front right wheel would need to drop lower then front left wheel due to rod undulation)
- happens inconsistently when i simply turn the steering wheel ~90 degrees or so to make a turn (ex: turning into a parking lot from main road)
- happens somewhat consistently when I brake hard or accelerate hard from a stop

There's no real audible sound, and I did take the truck to a local dealer and they could not replicate the tap/clunking. They told me they inspected and moved the suspension around and found nothing loose/wrong there. So perhaps it's not the suspension?

Did my best to search previous posts and I'm certain it's not the slip joint issue this forum has discussed as i don't feel any clunk in my seat or from the back of the truck. There are some similarities between what I feel and the "clunk-creak-after-driving" post but its not quite the same. For example my truck is a bone dry stock 2022 Ranger XLT, I haven't installed any aftermarket lift kit or anything. One of the poster roughly halfway down in that thread suggests that the Ranger's collapsible steering shaft is the source of the clunking, so perhaps that's correct?

Anyhow would this be a "just live with it" type of problem, or should I troubleshoot this more intently?
I'd return to the dealer and have a shop person drive it while you ride with. Have them drive it along a stretch of road that you have felt this yourself.
A few shots from the hip:
  • Wheel bearing, tie rod end come to mind, although the shop should've picked that up when you brought it in.
  • The collapsable steering column or the steering rack, maybe the EPAS(electric power assisted steering) unit.
  • Motor/trasmission mount (s)
  • Body mount/bushing (s)
  • Tilt/telescoping steering wheel lever not fully locking

OP
OP

sammyc1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
ME
I'd try 4 High and drive it bit and see if anything changes , your sure your not feeling anything in the transmission, its for sure up front ? All noises off in cab and windows down and you and a passenger just hang out the windows and try to hear the source, at least which side its on...
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try driving around in 4H vs 2H but it did not change anything.

I'd return to the dealer and have a shop person drive it while you ride with. Have them drive it along a stretch of road that you have felt this yourself.
A few shots from the hip:
  • Wheel bearing, tie rod end come to mind, although the shop should've picked that up when you brought it in.
  • The collapsable steering column or the steering rack, maybe the EPAS(electric power assisted steering) unit.
  • Motor/trasmission mount (s)
  • Body mount/bushing (s)
  • Tilt/telescoping steering wheel lever not fully locking
I would like to ride with a technician, however what makes this so difficult to troubleshoot is the fact that there is no audible noise. Just the feeling of the clunk/tap through the steering wheel. So the only way I could convey to the technician when I was feeling a clunk/tap would be to hold the steering wheel while he was also, which would probably not be permitted (saftey concern).

I do have an app. in mid-August due to a windshield adhesive recall. I'm hoping I get lucky with a hot day and I can ask them to drive it around again.

I appreciate the suggestion of motor mount, but I don't feel much harshness or vibration other than this intermittent clunk/tap, which makes me think it likely is not a mount. I'm starting to believe it's something in the steering column assy (like you suggested in bullet point #2). It's possible that the telescoping steering wheel is not fully locking, but I know I have the plastic lever completely closed, so it would have to be an internal component fault.

brendough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
I also have this issue. Brand new 2022 lariat with 400 kilometres. Don’t think it’s the slip yoke as I only feel it in the wheel. It is somewhat pronounced if I’m turning gradually at a slower speed over bumps. Starting from a stop I feel it too if it’s hot enough.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Mine does something similar and I'm 95% sure it's the wheel adjustment assembly/stuff. Based on a post here and inspecting everything I can.

I hope it is an easy fix for you.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Mine does this as well. I did my own inspection and narrowed it down to steering intermediate shaft noise and dealer service noted same observation. Drove another almost new 5g ranger on lot and it had same symptoms. GM has had steering intermediate shaft noises for years and this presents as the same issue, but much less noticeable.

brendough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
has anyone found a fix for this? It’s pretty annoying to deal with.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

Hi Sammy,

In cases like this, start by examining the component located between the seat back and the steering wheel. :)

Best,
Phil

OP
OP

sammyc1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
ME
Thanks for the advise Phil. I already know there's many problems with that component, but there's no replacement either haha

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
My truck has a similar issue, to me it feels like the steering shaft, like the collapsible shaft/slip shaft, or whatever you want to call it, needs lube.

It's also a age old Ford problem, usually it's something that you have to replace, I have changed them on quite a few vehicles, F series, Explorer, anything with a frame, where the body moves around a lot.
Sponsored